: Super Bowl Ads - Critique

gordon87
02-09-05, 02:40 PM
The Car Connection has a critique of the Super Bowl Ads. See www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8100&sid=175&n=156 (http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8100&sid=175&n=156)

Here is my email response to the article:

I read Jim Burt's column on Super Bowl ads. My thoughts.

First, although he liked the Ford Mustang ad, I found it creepy. As a northerner, I didn't find the set up entertaining. As for people not in snow country, I doubt they would either. Also, Ford showed the same ad three times, once just before the game began and then twice within 30 seconds of each other during the game. I believe the two-time showing was because Ford dropped its controversial Lincoln L-T ad, but I would have thought that rather than using the same ad within the space of 30 seconds, they could do better, such as bringing back the Steve McQueen Mustang coupe ad for the second spot.

I agree with Jim Burt's views regarding the Ford truck/biker ad. I also found that ad tired, in a "been there, done that" sort of way.

As to the first Cadillac ad, I believe Jim Burt missed the point of the ad. The ad showed all three V-series Cadillacs backing up into tunnels -- the new STS-V, the CTS-V and the upcoming XLR-V -- not just the STS-V. Each car then takes off fast through the tunnel, like a bullet through a gun barrel. Then, you hear the sound of a brass shell casing fall to the concrete, like a gun having been fired. Not only would I expect an automotive journalist to recognize three different cars on the screen, the tagline for the ad indicated three cars that go 0 - 60 in under 5 seconds.

In fact, I believe that the ad was called Barrels. The website ad-rag.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=118324 previewing the ads described the Cadillac ad:

General Motors - Cadillac - "Barrels" 1 :60
Ad Agency: Chemistri, Troy, Michigan
Summary:The 'Barrels' spot-highlights the unexpected performance credentials of all three vehicles in the V-Series line-up that include the CTS-V, STS-V and XLR-V, focusing on their ability to go 0-60 m.p.h. in under five seconds. Directed by Peter Thwaites.

I believe the ad agency was trying to compare the speed of the new V-series cars with the speed of a speeding bullet, not that the STS-V was accelerating before the starting gun. Each car was the "bullet" and each tunnel was the barrel in a "starting gun." Maybe the ad wasn't the kind of ad Jim Burt appreciates, but it was quite different than what he described in his article.

CaddyGeek
02-09-05, 06:04 PM
I agree, he's a friggin herb... although cadillac could have improved the idea behind the comercial if they had the "click", meant to imitate the hammer of a gun cocking, be more pronounced and occur as each car finished backing up

AirJigga25
02-10-05, 02:34 PM
I liked the caddy commercials...

on another note...

It was annoying how they played the mustang commercial 3 straight times with the frozen guy who looked like Christopher Reeves.

And did anyone see that thing around the trunk keyhole that resembled a cadillac crest?

illumina
02-10-05, 06:36 PM
The mustang convertable ad was getting a little annoying after a few shots.

chuckdobbins
02-11-05, 12:55 PM
I for one, did not enjoy the Mustang ad either. Not to mention the car just doesn't appeal to me. Mustang + Convertible + Red = FOR WOMEN

I like the 5 second clip of the dash on the CTS-V...where the speedo climbs to 40, pauses for a shift, and then to 60 almost instantly. I just thought that was brilliant.