: 96 Eldorado parking brake didn't release?

Lube
06-21-13, 07:22 PM
It finally did, but for a good 10 tries shifting into gear, it would just jump a bit like it wanted to go, but not move, parking brake was stuck down for a good 10 tries before finally pulling up. Drove home without a problem, parked currently without the brake on..

Do I have anything to worry about? Is it safe to put down again? Is there a big problem?

How it all went down:
- Goes to get gas
- turns car off, goes in park, puts parking brake on (out of habit)
- Puts in 10 gallons of gas
- gets in, turns car on, goes in drive
- Jumps a bit (Does not move)
- Notice Parking brake is still down
- Shifts into drive about 10 times before it finally released up.

Did I press it down too hard? Is the system breaking? Did something with the mechanics break?

Not too good with this stuff, so go easy with any suggestions or just flat out tell me if this should be checked out or not. I have not put the parking brake on since.

rodnok01
06-21-13, 10:10 PM
It is vacuum released, check for bad vacuum lines under hood by pass strut. It may just need a lubing and there is a manual release by the pedal also.

twrtoad
06-24-13, 11:28 PM
hello, from what I have found out this is a common failure as the parking break release switch often fails. I was told in 1999 they switched to an electric one to prevent this problem. Mine also did not work so I ordered the new switch from auto zone, switched it out and now it works perfect. the cost was under 6 bucks and the aftermarket one comes with a lifetime warranty.
Jim

Figaredo
10-06-14, 07:27 PM
Hi! Where's that switch located? My 98 Deville Works whenever feels like it and drives me crazy.