: Bought car from dealer, find out now that it is modded

specialp
06-21-13, 03:54 PM
I recently purchased a 2011 Black diamond CTS-V. The car only has 8900 miles on it, and it is 100% flawless in condition. The 48k price was a really good deal. Nobody believes it is used. I had a good look around the car and engine and noticed Airraid CAI but I am not really concerned about intake mods. After driving it for a bit though it was clear that this car was very fast, and that the boost gauge is going up to 13-14 PSI on hard acceleration, where stock boost is 9. Upon close inspection, the car has the metco pulleys (smaller supercharger pulley, billet idler pulley, and non stock belt). I did not notice this on initial inspection due to the fact that the metco smaller SC pulley looks exactly like stock. I have to go out there with a caliper and measure the pulley to see which one it is.

Now I have mixed feelings about this. The dealer did not inform me that the car was heavily modded like this where it will void drivetrain warranty. However I would have likely done at some time and probably saved a good amount of cash on the mods. I do have a legitimate case with the dealer that the car was misrepresented. I am looking for some feedback here. Would you feel you got an easter egg here, or got ripped off :) The dealer was a non GM dealer that accepted it as a trade, not sure if they knew either.

neuronbob
06-21-13, 04:25 PM
Easter egg. I would not call a 2.5" upper pulley and CAI "heavily modded". That's more like a "stage one" mod. :)

If you were planning the mods anyway, don't worry about it and enjoy your car.

The only issue is what tune it's got in it. More than likely, it has a non-stock tune and THAT will get you into trouble quickly if you need engine parts warrantied. I'd take it to a speed shop, get it dynoed, make sure tune is good, and you will be generally good to go.

specialp
06-21-13, 04:50 PM
OK well not heavily modded in the sense of modding :) I am not driving a barely streetable sub 10 sec car. But as far as warranty goes, it is considered quite modded where there would be warranty issues if something went wrong. The car is 100% normal except when you hit the gas :) I am sure it is tuned too as I do not think you would be able to run +4-5 psi as smooth as it runs. Right now I am pretty happy and glad I am in possession of such a hot car. I just wasn't sure I wanted to throw away the warranty before I even owned the car. I am very competent though at fixing cars, I do all my own work.

pat2t2f
06-21-13, 05:01 PM
I agree with Bob. If you were going to mod it anyway then don't worry about it. Take it to a shop and make sure it was done properly
I would add, if you have money set aside for the tune work keep it there. You may need it for repairs down the road
Sounds like you lucked out with a good deal. Good luck with the car.

spearfish25
06-21-13, 05:07 PM
I agree. Consider yourself lucky if you were going to do it anyway. And you can't blame a dealer for not knowing all the mods on a used car. They'd have to strip a car bare to ensure they knew every nuance before selling it again. It's called buying 'as is'. You have to do the legwork.

RippyPartsDept
06-21-13, 05:07 PM
warranty is only voided if the modification causes the failure

so basically your engine, trans, and driveline are not going to be covered if anything goes wrong that seems like it could have been caused by you mods

heck, if your dealer didn't know about the mods then maybe they'll even ignorantly let a warranty claim through that they shouldn't ... although that might not be 100% ethical on your part it happens all the time i'm sure

Trapspeed
06-21-13, 06:28 PM
Check it for a warranty block. Then, and only then, can you render a proper judgment on your condition. No block, you won...big time. Block, well...you got rammed on both ends if a warranty matters to you. Let us know.

cruiser68
06-21-13, 06:33 PM
It would be like Christmas to me. Especially if you are going to mod anyhow. If no complete warranty block, you should be a happy guy. My dealer supports my warranty VERY nicely. Granted I haven't blown the engine nor would I expect coverage if i did but I have had a few other issues resolved under warranty. Instead of worrying about warranty, they are usually more interested in what I have done to the V :)

Trapspeed
06-21-13, 06:51 PM
It would be like Christmas to me. Especially if you are going to mod anyhow. If no complete warranty block, you should be a happy guy. My dealer supports my warranty VERY nicely. Granted I haven't blown the engine nor would I expect coverage if i did but I have had a few other issues resolved under warranty. Instead of worrying about warranty, they are usually more interested in what I have done to the V :)

You are blessed. Enjoy it. Most are not so "easy".

embassured
06-21-13, 06:58 PM
Another thought is to pull a CarFax or AutoCheck to track down and attempt to talk with the prior owner. They may be very open about the full extent of the mods, who performed the work and why they traded the car.

Good luck!
Eric

Random84
06-21-13, 07:03 PM
heck, if your dealer didn't know about the mods then maybe they'll even ignorantly let a warranty claim through that they shouldn't ... although that might not be 100% ethical on your part it happens all the time i'm sure

My understanding is that they might "ignore" the mods on small-time fixes. If the engine pops, then the ECM checksum is forwarded to GM for review. It would fail, likely resulting in total out-of-pocket costs for OP and potentially revocation of the entire remaining powertrain warranty once it's discovered (the dealer can't overlook things when GM is demanding info prior to approving the warranty claim).

Personally, I think you got a "value" in that you paid nothing for the modifications and got a deal on the car anyway. If you were going to do the mods yourself, there's nothing wrong with spending the money for a re-tune to ensure it's safe and operating properly. You could even swap out all the fluids for $100 or so and probably be ahead with the comfort of knowing things are likely up to snuff. You're probably running out of warranty anyway, so there's not a huge downside there - so long as you wanted the mods anyway.

Now, if that warranty is valuable to you and you're concerned about whatever the initial owner might have done with the car - then clearly you can take this up with the dealer and they'll probably throw you a bone on service or something; but frankly with ANY used car you're always taking a risk. I bought a Z06 "stock" that turned out to have headers, intake, tune and God knows what else - it was a trouble-free vehicle and already had the $3K worth of mods I would have paid for anyway... so in my mind I was money ahead.

Good luck.

neuronbob
06-21-13, 07:38 PM
^^^
Sage advice here. Totally agree.

RaVeNous
06-21-13, 07:47 PM
If you have any major engine or transmission issues your warranty will be voided. Any repair that warrants a closer look at the PCM for tuning, triggered by costly repairs will blacklist the car of any remaining powertrain warranty. There is the possibility that it was tuned in a waythat won't leave a trace; however, there is still a lot of debate as far as which tuning methods will show up during diagnostics. Which is a fact is they can tell if your computer has been accessed by unauthorized methods. That alone will void your warranty even if they can't tell what you actually changed. Look it up - lots of stuff on the internet about it.

If you were going to mod it anyway, and it seems to be running good, I'd probably have the tune double checked and enjoy the car! Thats probably a couple grand worth of modifications. I would still try and talk to the dealer about some sort of compensation since the sale wasn't for an car with the warranty voided just to see what they will do....

Good luck!

specialp
06-22-13, 03:00 AM
Hey guys,
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I guess I should just accept the fact that I have 600+ HP :thumbsup: Car drives like stock (unless you mash it), like I said it took a look under the hood to realize so I guess I should be happy. Car is unbelievable, thanks for the good welcome to the community here.

austin
06-22-13, 07:29 AM
Hey guys,
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I guess I should just accept the fact that I have 600+ HP :thumbsup: Car drives like stock (unless you mash it), like I said it took a look under the hood to realize so I guess I should be happy. Car is unbelievable, thanks for the good welcome to the community here.

You scored big time...... Have it tuned ASAP to know if your running too lean or not. Hopefully you will never need the engine warranty. :)

tkracing
06-22-13, 11:46 AM
I too did the same before with a different car and went back to dealership to discuss. I ended up getting all work under warranty because they sold the car. Wasn't a big deal and I did bring it to a reputable tuner to make sure the tune was good.

smackdownCTSV
06-22-13, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't worry. What's the OL % at? If it's 20% or lower, bring it in and see what the dealer says. Maybe they'll point it out to you and say XYZ about the mods. Some dealers are better than others. I've had a diff replaced while having a pulley, tune, intake, and cutouts. The tech actually wanted me to open up the cutouts for him on the way out. I'd still want to know what kind of tune is on it. If not a re-tune, then definitely log it to see how it's doing, maybe you'll want to dial back on it or even push it further if it's too conservative.

Trapspeed
06-22-13, 02:03 PM
Check the tune soon, especially if you don't know where the car came from. I assure you, a time from the muggy south where I am from will not bode well in cooler climates or vice versa. Just a thought.