: Replacing the AIR Control Valve... NEED HELP!!!

Kartune
06-21-13, 07:38 AM
I am a girl with a 2001 Cadillac Catera. I am determined to learn how to fix this car myself. That being said, I am replacing my AIR Control Valve which I have attached an image of to this post. I need some advice or a step by step walkthrough on how to do this. **Please don't forget to mention any important steps that anybody should already know, as I am a beginner and clueless to this, but DETERMINED! So thanks in advanced to whoever has the time to help me learn this.

investor74
06-21-13, 08:36 AM
Here's what is says in the manual:

Removal:

1. Disconnect the vacuum hose.

2. Remove the valve to the bracket fasteners.

3. Loosen the hose clamps.

4. Disconnect the air hoses.

5. Remove the assembly from the vehicle.

Installation:

1. Install the the assembly to the vehicle.

2. Connect the air hoses.

3. tighten the hose clamps.

4. Install/tighten the valve to the bracket fasteners.

5. Reconnect the vaccuum hose.

MoistCabbage
06-21-13, 10:39 AM
:welcome:

Those tension style hose clamps can be a PITA to remove without the correct removal tool. Might be worth buying a set of hose clamp pliers.

retho78
06-21-13, 02:33 PM
I just use nose pliers or channel lock to get it out.

Kartune
06-22-13, 02:14 AM
Thank you all for your quick replies! Sounds pretty simple, however, the step 'Install the the assembly to the vehicle' is where I am a little intimidated. Due to the two screws that secure it in place that come from underneath. How would I get to this? Is there other parts I should remove to have better access? Or is it easier than it appears?

retho78
06-22-13, 12:45 PM
Remove thr bracket that is mounted to the radiator fan side area and you'll get access to bolt under the valve.

Stwoodworth
12-20-13, 09:57 PM
From your picture, you also need to install caps over the air conditioning schrader valve which looks like it has a little green liquid in the center. While schrader valves ostensibly work, it is the double protection provided by the screw cap that prevents leaks. That liquid in the picture could be a slow refrigerant (and refrigerant oil) leak.