: 4t80E will not shift into third

remmans
02-08-05, 05:27 PM
I just completed installing a motor and tranny (4t80E) in the car which I am now working out remaining bugs. The car will not shift into third gear which the lady told me when I bought it with a cracked block (motor). She had taken it to a tranny shop and the told her the tranny inside is fine but needs a tranny cable? Somebody had tried to steal the car and that is when it happed. Does anybody know what cable that could be? The shifter cable looks fine? When I had the tranny out I replaced the shift solenoids, speed sensor, TCC. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

mcowden
02-08-05, 05:52 PM
I just completed installing a motor and tranny (4t80E) in the car which I am now working out remaining bugs. The car will not shift into third gear which the lady told me when I bought it with a cracked block (motor). She had taken it to a tranny shop and the told her the tranny inside is fine but needs a tranny cable? Somebody had tried to steal the car and that is when it happed. Does anybody know what cable that could be? The shifter cable looks fine? When I had the tranny out I replaced the shift solenoids, speed sensor, TCC. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

What year and model is the car?

eldorado1
02-08-05, 11:34 PM
Does it shift into 4th? Okay, okay... bad idea, don't try it ;)

It sounds like your "B" solenoid isn't getting power from the ECM. I'd suspect a break in the wire from the ecm to the transmission.

Isn't there a diagnostic to run through the gears? I'm pretty sure there is, but I'm too lazy to go dig up my service manual... My guess is you'll find that it will engage first and second, but not third or fourth. If that's the case, it's the B solenoid. Since you already replaced it, you can start checking wires. (unless it's an internal tranny fault, but that's pretty rare unless it exploded internally or something)