: missing rear side marker socket?

STS-4000
06-20-13, 06:01 PM
Hey guys I'm having a little bit of a problem here. today I decided to replace my rear side marker bulb and when I got underneath the car to replace it i couldn't help but notice that the rear side marker bulb and socket is missing, at first it looks as if the car came out the assembly plant this way, but then I had a closer look and found a black wire which looks like it would go into the bulb socket has been cut, Now I don't see any other severed wires, only the black one. my question is could this be something I could fix myself or would I have to take it to the dealer?

EChas3
06-20-13, 11:17 PM
It depends on how handy you are. There are quick-fixes but I'd prefer to to go as OEM as possible. That would mean a new pigtail with the right connector, soldered into place and sealed with shrink-tubing or waterproof tape.

The teenage New York version would be a short length of 14 gauge wire twisted on one end and jammed into a connector on the other.

If the latter tempts you, please see a dealer or your favorite local shop.

STS-4000
06-20-13, 11:34 PM
Pigtail and connector? Are these parts I have to buy from the dealership?

EChas3
06-20-13, 11:47 PM
Like I would know? Check with GM Parts Direct or Chris Heath with Rippy's Cadillac, sheesh!

----------

Better yet...

Get thee to a junkyard my friend!

(Auto-recycler for those faint of heart,)

MoistCabbage
06-21-13, 01:21 AM
Salvage yard, man mall...

ddalder
06-21-13, 03:03 AM
I'm not sure why GM did this (perhaps it's different on the 2007 and older), but on 2008 for sure, the rear fascia wiring harness has a sealed connector attached. This plugs into one side of an intermediate lamp socket and the bulb into the other. It is this lamp socket that twists into the marker lamp housing. Past GM practice has been to simply attached the lamp socket directly to the wiring harness. If this was damaged, you would simply cut off the defective socket and connect a pigtail which included the socket. The lamp socket is readily available from GM (I had to replace one on my car due to corrosion). I don't recall off the top of my head which connector is actually attached to the rear fascia wiring harness though. GM should hopefully be able to supply you with this pigtail and the lamp socket so you can complete this repair.

As mentioned earlier, it is important to repair this correctly as it will be subject to moisture intrusion. Solder the connections and seal them with heat shrink tubing. A special type of heat shrink is available with an adhesive lining. When this heats, it will seal around the insulation of the wires reducing the change of water penetration. It's important to use the right size or it won't seal well. Alternatively, there is also a reputable auto repair facility.

The auto recycling yard is a possibility if you have one that is a 'self serve' facility. My experience with most auto wreckers is that they aren't interested in serving customers looking for "little stuff" like this. Even with bigger ticket items, many can't be bothered. They tend to cater primarily to auto repair facilities and often have little use for DIYers.

STS-4000
06-21-13, 08:43 AM
Well the problem is that my local junkyards don't have any 05+ sts's. Do you guys think I could get these parts from the older sts' s?

1BadCadSTS
06-21-13, 08:55 AM
Remove the lamp and take it with you. Find a socket which fits it properly and use that. Most m reflectors use a standard 2 pin socket which has 2 little pins that lock and twist it securely.

PontiacV8
06-21-13, 10:51 AM
Part-# 16524383 SOCKET,RR SI MKR LP(PART OF 12), Retail Price: 23,76 $

I'm not sure why GM did this (perhaps it's different on the 2007 and older), but on 2008 for sure, the rear fascia wiring harness has a sealed connector attached.
...on 2005 to 2007 the same...and same Part-#...

...and IIRC, the connector for the socket is a 2005 - 2011 STS specific part...nothing generic...Rockauto shows connector type AC Delco PT1813...

...the side marker (not the repeater lamp on the fender) on the front bumper has the same socket/part-# and connector...

Remove the lamp and take it with you. Find a socket which fits it properly and use that. Most m reflectors use a standard 2 pin socket which has 2 little pins that lock and twist it securely.
...and that's how it looks like...:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ls9ua8.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/k98kef.jpg

STS-4000
06-21-13, 11:52 AM
i should have uploaded this earlier, you see all i'm left with is this brown/white wire (sorry i thought it was black)

PontiacV8
06-21-13, 12:26 PM
...brown/white...yes...there should also be a black wire...the connector/sidemarker needs and "connects" two wires...
...LH side are black and purple...

...I just lay down under my car and made some images...;)

Sidemarker rear RH:
http://i41.tinypic.com/34njeqs.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/9labk2.jpg

Sidemarker rear LH:
http://i40.tinypic.com/mmcx6x.jpg

Rockauto.com shows connector type AC Delco PT1813...

STS-4000
06-21-13, 01:22 PM
sweet so all i have to do is buy the parts and find the black wire and wire everything in, doesn't sound too difficult. thanks for the help everyone, don't know what i would do without you guys!
i'm gonna order the parts next week when i get again paid again, i'll let you guys know if i run into any complications.