: cts4 driven as 2 wheels drive! !!!

Mtlcts4lover
06-20-13, 11:16 AM
I am at the dealer now getting oil change and break job done and to check on the abs captor not working causing a type of track mode (all safety systems deactivated, see previous post )

The mechanic confirmed to me that no damage would occur to any of the systems by driving it this way! Only drawback, no abs, traction control, stabilitrack or awd... As if that was a drawback during summer!!!!!

To get this "track mode" 2 options;

1) pull the abs fuse out, this will cause the computer to shut all safety systems

2) disconnect one of the abs captor directly at the wheel and secure it so you can drive for a while before putting it back

I love the awd but have to abmit that driving with rear wheel drive only does make a difference when cornering hard and i can now drift! (Should have seen the face of the supped up civic when he realised he was getting passed by a sideway cadillac! !!!!!

Hope this is usefull for all driving enthusiasts!

tinman
06-20-13, 11:37 AM
People don't realize that Cadillac drivers can be enthusiasts.

Sal33n
06-20-13, 12:51 PM
What is a captor?

99flhr
06-20-13, 12:59 PM
What is a captor?

The cop who arrests you for drifting ?

tinman
06-20-13, 01:04 PM
Heli-captors? The Coast Guard search-and-rescue thingies?

hauler
06-20-13, 01:57 PM
Plug cap/connector on ABS wheel sensor plug thingies?

Sal33n
06-20-13, 02:56 PM
Heli-captors? The Coast Guard search-and-rescue thingies?

No no no... Those are whirly birds.

Mtlcts4lover
06-20-13, 03:14 PM
Captors or sensors or whatever this thing that sense wheels spins or block is called.... I'm french and live in Montreal and the way I wrote it makes sense here!!!! Lolol

hauler
06-20-13, 03:42 PM
You made me look in the owner's manual to see if their was a shut off switch, but no, it is as you say. The note about a spare tire let's you know that the spare wheel has no ABS sensor, which shuts off ABS and AWD,so that will happen if the plug is pulled on any sensor.

Mtlcts4lover
06-20-13, 05:30 PM
But on top of awd and abs, it turns off all safety systems so in effect, I now have a Cts with a competition or track mode!!!!! Will obliously turn it back on this fall but in the mean time, I love my car even more!!!!!!

RAB
06-20-13, 05:49 PM
You don't need to mess with speed sensors (aka captors LOL!) or pull the ABS fuse to achieve rear-wheel drive on an all-wheel drive CTS. Pulling the AWD fuse (only) at the underhood fuse block results in 100% full time rear-wheel drive, with all safety systems remaining up and running.

Regarding competitive driving mode, a copy/paste from the owner's manual:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Competitive Driving Mode

To select this optional handling mode, press the TCS/StabiliTrak button quickly two times and STABILITRAK
COMPETITIVE MODE displays in the Driver Information Center (DIC).

While in the StabiliTrak Competitive Mode, the TCS/StabiliTrak warning light comes on, TCS does not limit
wheel spin, and more effort is required to turn the steering wheel. Adjust your driving accordingly.

Press the TCS/StabiliTrak button again, or turn the ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY and restart the vehicle, to
turn TCS back on and turn the TCS/StabiliTrak warning light off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RippyPartsDept
06-20-13, 06:34 PM
some people have reported that they need to have the stick over in sport mode before performing the comp mode button presses

some have not ... so if it doesn't work try popping the shifter over to sport mode and try again

although that was with the ATS and the comp mode is not documented in the manual... so for a CTS it might/should perform as documented in the manual

99flhr
06-20-13, 08:51 PM
I now have a Cts with a competition or track mode!!!!!

Would seem to be a bit of an oxymoron with a non modified six cylinder. It`s a nice car, I like mine, it`s certainly not fast. I doubt that pulling a fuse will make it so. JMO

Mtlcts4lover
06-20-13, 09:40 PM
Its more that it feels different without the awd and stabilitrack, i can now have the tail sliding out when cornering hard and still use awd for winter

jeffc83
06-21-13, 09:42 AM
some people have reported that they need to have the stick over in sport mode before performing the comp mode button presses

some have not ... so if it doesn't work try popping the shifter over to sport mode and try again

although that was with the ATS and the comp mode is not documented in the manual... so for a CTS it might/should perform as documented in the manual

That's what I have to do in my 08...needs to be in sport in order for it to work.

49lukester09
07-25-13, 01:24 PM
You don't need to mess with speed sensors (aka captors LOL!) or pull the ABS fuse to achieve rear-wheel drive on an all-wheel drive CTS. Pulling the AWD fuse (only) at the underhood fuse block results in 100% full time rear-wheel drive, with all safety systems remaining up and running.

Regarding competitive driving mode, a copy/paste from the owner's manual:
Competitive Driving Mode

To select this optional handling mode, press the TCS/StabiliTrak button quickly two times and STABILITRAK
COMPETITIVE MODE displays in the Driver Information Center (DIC).

While in the StabiliTrak Competitive Mode, the TCS/StabiliTrak warning light comes on, TCS does not limit
wheel spin, and more effort is required to turn the steering wheel. Adjust your driving accordingly.

Press the TCS/StabiliTrak button again, or turn the ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY and restart the vehicle, to
turn TCS back on and turn the TCS/StabiliTrak warning light off.
So pulling the AWD fuse on my CTS4 coupe will allow me to run the 19'' CTS V coupe wheel and tire package with the (4) revs per mile bias to the rear (as apposed to (4) rpm bias to the front on the CTS4 with the 18'' wheel and tire package with no problems ?- Warranty issues?

Tbbt
07-25-13, 01:47 PM
So pulling the AWD fuse on my CTS4 coupe will allow me to run the 19'' CTS V coupe wheel and tire package with the (4) revs per mile bias to the rear (as apposed to (4) rpm bias to the front on the CTS4 with the 18'' wheel and tire package with no problems ?- Warranty issues?

I believe you're treading on new ground here. All of the other posts have discussed pulling the fuse on a temp basis (I could be wrong). You are discussing full time operation in RWD in a AWD system. Only GM can answer the Warranty question.

Feel free to be our test monkey!:thumbsup:

Have fun, Marv

49lukester09
07-25-13, 02:39 PM
I'm thinking maybe as a summer wheel and tire option... http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n559/client09/SDC10704_zps4793799d.jpg (http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/client09/media/SDC10704_zps4793799d.jpg.html)

gohawks63
07-25-13, 02:55 PM

You may still have issues with ABS and Stabilitrak.

jeffc83
07-25-13, 03:51 PM
Wasn't sure myself so I put the fuse back after week or two. No issues.