: 1985 Eldorado Roadster (4100)

Rick_Rude967
06-20-13, 09:29 AM
I have an 85' Cadillac Eldorado 4100 engine and recently it has been rough starting after driving about 30 minutes. Well yesterday I pulled into a garage to get 2 tires and the car was idling for a few minutes after driving for about 30 minutes and the tech. drove the car about 20' and it died. We pushed it into the garage and they replaced the 2 tires and then couldn't get it started, so after them checking the fuel and the spark along with checking to see if power to module was there... They kept the distributor off sprayed it with WD-40 under the cap then blew it out with air to cool off the module. They put cap back on and it started up no problem... The next morning the car started up but now really rough idle and some black smoke (almost like an overload of fuel dumping). Tried revving the gas a little and warming it up a little bit, it didn't smooth out. Now I'm confused ! Is it possibly the ignition module. Also forgot to mention periodically it would hesitate and the check engine light has been on all along way before this issue started.

Please help !

Rick (Stranded in NJ)

Rick_Rude967
06-20-13, 09:36 AM
I have an 85' Cadillac Eldorado 4100 engine and recently it has been rough starting after driving about 30 minutes. Well yesterday I pulled into a garage to get 2 tires and the car was idling for a few minutes after driving for about 30 minutes and the tech. drove the car about 20' and it died. We pushed it into the garage and they replaced the 2 tires and then couldn't get it started, so after them checking the fuel and the spark along with checking to see if power to module was there... They kept the distributor off sprayed it with WD-40 under the cap then blew it out with air to cool off the module. They put cap back on and it started up no problem... The next morning the car started up but now really rough idle and some black smoke (almost like an overload of fuel dumping). Tried revving the gas a little and warming it up a little bit, it didn't smooth out. Now I'm confused ! Is it possibly the ignition module. Also forgot to mention periodically it would hesitate and the check engine light has been on all along way before this issue started.

Please help !

Rick (Stranded in NJ)

Submariner409
06-20-13, 10:21 AM
Your post has nothing to do with Forum Rules and Guidelines. Look at the descriptive text in each forum title to find out what is supposed to be posted there.

Moved to the proper forum - in this case you have engine problems, not body, so here we are in Engines, 4100.

NEVER put your phone number in a worldwide public forum - you may just get far, far more than you bargained for.

Please do not triple post. This will be moved to Engines, 4100 - along with your previous threads on the same problem that were posted in Forum Rules and in Seville/Eldorado.

carnut
06-20-13, 08:15 PM
I don't think a module would misfire. My experience is they work or quit. I would inspect the cap for evidence of moisture inside it 1st because you say WD 40 fixed it for awhile. Is a heater hose spraying coolant into it? How old is the cap and rotor? A cracked cap could cause a misfire. How old are the plug wires? Pulling the codes and listing them with their definitions might help us!

carnut
07-07-13, 09:32 PM
Good forum name "rick_rude!!!" He never posted back with any info or what it took to fix the car. A forum is to help not only you but others by posting the complaint then hopefully getting the cause then posting the correction. The 3 C's of forum discussions.