: Ipod won't connect through USB

jmarts_cts
06-20-13, 09:13 AM
Normally when I plug my ipod to a power source with the usb cable, it automatically starts charging the unit. When I try it in the car, nothing happens. Am I missing something? Do I have to activate it somehow? Or is it a problem with the car?

Thank you.

hauler
06-20-13, 09:48 AM
If by power source, you mean one of the auxiliary power outlets in the car, into which a USB adapter has been inserted, all that does is provide charging to the iPod. If your music system comes with a USB port, the port may be defective or the connecting cable may be defective.

My wagon's stereo has no USB port. I have a new shuffle with a USB-only connection, and I am unable to find a 3 way cable to allow connection to the auxiliary power outlet and the 3.5mm stereo aux input socket. It's a bummer.

jmarts_cts
06-20-13, 10:41 AM
I'm trying to connect through the USB port in the center armrest console. It can't be the cable because it works with other USB power sources.

al williams
06-20-13, 12:21 PM
I'm assuming this is the first time you have tried to use your iPod in the Caddy. A special cable is required that plugs into your iPod at one end and has two tails, one for the USB port in the console, the other for the 3.5 mm socket in the console. A normal iPod cable won't do the job in this car.

You should have received this cable with the car. I had to go back to the dealer to get mine. The dealer said that they don't leave the cables in the cars because the cables disappear.

hauler
06-20-13, 01:07 PM
I'm assuming this is the first time you have tried to use your iPod in the Caddy. A special cable is required that plugs into your iPod at one end and has two tails, one for the USB port in the console, the other for the 3.5 mm socket in the console. A normal iPod cable won't do the job in this car.

You should have received this cable with the car. I had to go back to the dealer to get mine. The dealer said that they don't leave the cables in the cars because the cables disappear.

In that case, I don't have one either. What does this cable have for a third plug? Flat iPod? 4 ring 3.5mm iPod? USB?

jmarts_cts
06-20-13, 01:54 PM

That would explain why it doesn't work, I was using a regular cable. And yes, it's the first time an ipod is plugged in. I'll contact my dealer. Thank you.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-20-13, 03:43 PM
That would explain why it doesn't work, I was using a regular cable. And yes, it's the first time an ipod is plugged in. I'll contact my dealer. Thank you.

Hello jmarts_cts,

I am happy to hear another member was able to provide this information for you. If you have additional concerns or questions after contacting the dealer, please reach out to me!

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

hauler
06-20-13, 03:59 PM

I called my dealer and was told is did not come with the car. I asked to buy one, and they are looking.

So, could you please tell me if your 3 way cable has the flat iPod plug that the old iPods used, or a USB or a 3.5mm plug like my new iPod uses. The cable is $45 from GM.

Citabria
06-20-13, 07:49 PM
Amazon AC Delco 25908035 mp3 and iPod cable. $21.62

Enjoy

hauler
06-20-13, 09:07 PM
Amazon AC Delco 25908035 mp3 and iPod cable. $21.62

Enjoy
That has the 30 pin connector for older iPods. The new one needs a 4 ring 3.5mm or a female USB for the little converter cable that comes with the 4th generation iPod.

Citabria
06-20-13, 10:33 PM
That has the 30 pin connector for older iPods. The new one needs a 4 ring 3.5mm or a female USB for the little converter cable that comes with the 4th generation iPod.

Sorry, I feel like such a dumbass now.

al williams
06-20-13, 10:48 PM
My cable has a flat iPod connector with two cables coming from it-- one with USB one with 3.5 mm. I think it may be the case that what cable you need depends on what radio you have. My radio is Bose and nav. The base radios may use a different cable setup. Your manual may explain what you need.

jmarts_cts
06-21-13, 08:18 AM
Is the sound quality affected if I purchase the cable from the dealer or go on eBay?

jeffc83
06-21-13, 08:52 AM
Is the sound quality affected if I purchase the cable from the dealer or go on eBay?

I purchased mine from eBay and have to start playing the music on the ipod before plugging it into the car, otherwise the sound quality has been fine. If I need to buy another one, I'd get it from amazon.

hauler
06-21-13, 09:22 AM
Sorry, I feel like such a dumbass now.i apologize if I sounded like you should have divined which iPod I had. You actually helped me, since I can tell the dealer that part number won't work for me. Mea culpa.

Citabria
06-21-13, 09:43 AM
i apologize if I sounded like you should have divined which iPod I had. You actually helped me, since I can tell the dealer that part number won't work for me. Mea culpa.

No worries,,, I was just trying to be a smart one instead of a dumb one. I also think amazon had adapters too! Anyway good luck. I am still disappointed apple changed things up. All I need is a bunch of different cords.