: Spontaneous appreciation

Jinx
06-20-13, 02:28 AM
I got some gesticulation, pacing, and finally a big thumbs up from a woman in a Lexus RX400h today.

It was the first clear recognition from a stranger I've gotten. Fun moment.

spearfish25
06-20-13, 08:46 AM
Fun. I've had two great moments and they both were car enthusiasts (or at least seemed so). Both times were on the highway. The first time a guy in a Porsche zipped by me (I was just cruising along listening to music), jogs over in front of me and shoots a big thumbs up through his sunroof. The second time was in gridlock traffic on the highway and a guy in a white Audi S5 pulled up along side. He rolls his window down, is clearly exuberant and says "Is it a manual?" I said "yes" and he says, "Oh my God! That's so rare!".

I love that the people who like cars can identify the Vagon in a heartbeat and those who don't know cars think it's a soccer mom grocery getter. This way the only time I talk with someone about it, it's an intelligent conversation about cars.

krikiter
06-20-13, 08:57 AM
I love that the people who like cars can identify the Vagon in a heartbeat and those who don't know cars think it's a soccer mom grocery getter. This way the only time I talk with someone about it, it's an intelligent conversation about cars.

Exactly right, couldn't agree more. I've driven flashier cars (Viper, Corvette) and I'd get tired of every 15 year old kid leaning out of their mom's car to ask if it was fast and every Civic with a 4 inch tip wanting to race. The V2, especially the wagon, is a sleeper to everyone except those that know and love cars. Most cops don't give it a second look. It only gets the right kind of attention.

mr weather
06-20-13, 09:12 AM
I've had my V sedan less than a week and have gotten two nods of appreciation: one from a guy in a Audi S5 and another from a guy in a late-model Mustang GT convertible.

DanPrfct
06-20-13, 12:23 PM
I can't count the number of spontaneous thumbs up that I've received in the Vagon over the last year of ownership.

The best was when i was pulling into Radio Shack and had a Fiat 500 Abarath do a u-turn at the next light. I didn't think about it and went on in. He parked in the stripes in front of the door, ran in, and proceeded to look for me. Said it was the coolest car ge had ever seen and wanted to know how many were made. We talked cars for about ten minutes before he remembered that he was illegally parked and left. The Vagon is a magnet for car enthusiasts.

Trapspeed
06-20-13, 01:44 PM
I was walking up to mine the other day and I saw two guys watching my every move. They were pointing and gesturing to one another. As I was pulling away, they flagged me down and asked me if it was a 2009. I told them they were right. Then, one asked if I wanted to trade. Pretty good stuff.

Xaqtly
06-20-13, 02:47 PM
Just yesterday I was filling up and a guy in a huge lifted F-250 or something yelled out "Hey nice car!"

"Thanks."

"Didn't they stop making those?"

"Not yet, this will probably be the last year you can buy them though."

"... so I guess it's pretty fast?"

"Yeah, it's pretty fast."

"Cool. Well have a good one."

Gman1023
06-20-13, 08:01 PM
I've had a bunch of looks and a few thumbs up. Last Saturday a guy in an Audi A3 was clearly ecstatic to see one, grinning and staring before he gave the thumbs up. I've also gotten a thumbs up from a motorcyclist. So far folks on cycles have a good track record of giving the car a hard look. You can see when it turns heads too, whether it's someone in a Vette, a Camaro or a couple teenagers on skateboards. Most attention I've ever gotten in a car, and as others have said it's always the kind of attention you actually want.

StoneCrab
06-20-13, 09:50 PM
Have you ever circled a car in a lot or stopped to chat with a driver of an interesting car? If so, what car was it? Most recently I did for a new Audi S8, because I love that car and there are very few in the US. Chatted with the owner who was very friendly and seemed to be a car guy.

I agree the V gets a lot of good attention, and not much of the bad. In the two tears I had my V sedan I got a lot of thumbs up and points and shouts, but very few road contests (which I think is good) and those that did I think just wanted to see what it could do.

fastpharmd
06-20-13, 10:42 PM
I have received a few 'nice car' comments when fueling up and a few stares and pointed fingers. I have only been egged on to race once by a 18-22 year old guy in a blacked out bmw 135i, we went from like a 65ish roll and I walked away from him both times we did that, after we were done I saw he had his phone out taking video and he took off after I slowed back down (i'm sure that's part he posted on his respective forum).

Honestly I had a lot more comments and challenges when I drove my 1st gen Jeep SRT8. That thing was fun as hell at a stop light, idiot proof awd traction, most of the time I would be through the light before the other car was past the line. Maybe not as many challenges in the CTS-V because they know they will lose.

spearfish25
06-21-13, 12:17 AM
People definitely 'challenge' to observe the V rather than try to beat it. Hence why I need a new exhaust to put on a good show :).

Squirlz
06-22-13, 03:31 PM
I was at a light in my Black Diamond Wagon and a guy at the gas pumps on the corner took out his phone and started taking pictures.