: Replacing ATS headlights contrary to popular belief!

MikeATS
06-20-13, 03:27 AM
Like many other ATS owners, I got an ATS 2.0T without the upgraded HIDs due to the necessity of having to purchase a whole other package that it comes with. After looking around forums and asking the dealerships about replacing the headlights without having to take off the bumper, I noticed that I can access my headlights through my wheel well. Walaa!

Steer your wheels to the opposing side, take off the 4 (or so) screws holding in the wheel well lining. Then pull the fabricated lining down and you'll have access to your headlights! For the after market HID kit, you'll have to drill a hole in that cap (FYI) to connect the ballast... Much easier than having to take off you bumper!

Too bad the dealerships don't know about this easy solution... I wonder how many bumpers were unnecessarily removed :confused:

donavo
06-20-13, 03:47 AM
Like many other ATS owners, I got an ATS 2.0T without the upgraded HIDs due to the necessity of having to purchase a whole other package that it comes with. After looking around forums and asking the dealerships about replacing the headlights without having to take off the bumper, I noticed that I can access my headlights through my wheel well. Walaa!

Steer your wheels to the opposing side, take off the 4 (or so) screws holding in the wheel well lining. Then pull the fabricated lining down and you'll have access to your headlights! For the after market HID kit, you'll have to drill a hole in that cap (FYI) to connect the ballast... Much easier than having to take off you bumper!

Too bad the dealerships don't know about this easy solution... I wonder how many bumpers were unnecessarily removed :confused:

Old news haha. But congrats on HID

MikeATS
06-20-13, 03:49 AM

LED Reverse Lights

Interior LED lights...

MikeATS
06-20-13, 03:52 AM
Haha I was looking for an answer for the past 3 weeks, and wasn't able to find anyone referencing the wheel well access! I thought I stumbled on gold!!

romanats
06-20-13, 09:41 AM
i posted this 2 months ago on the headlight thread

vwall
06-20-13, 11:31 AM
How hard was it to install the interior LEDs? And are they all the 194 bulb?

stevenzoz
06-20-13, 04:30 PM
can you direct me to the bulb(s) you bought for the reverse light? was it plug and play?

MikeATS
06-20-13, 05:37 PM
How hard was it to install the interior LEDs? And are they all the 194 bulb?

194 fits all of the interior light sockets (except the visor mirror). All are very easy to replace, except the map lights were a little tricky because I was initially scared of breaking something when popping out the whole panel; and for the lights in the back, you need to take off the handles, aka the "oh-shit" bars :)

----------

can you direct me to the bulb(s) you bought for the reverse light? was it plug and play?

Steven,

I found them on eBay... They are 194 white 20SMB LED, and there's 2 of them. Yes they're plug and play, and very easy to swap out.

----------

i posted this 2 months ago on the headlight thread

Yes Roman, you were the only one who I was able to get confirmation from prior to installing it... Unfortunately though, I didn't see your post and had to come up with the idea by myself. Thanks though!

lexino
06-20-13, 06:06 PM
looks bad ass !! .... What exact Aftermarket kit did you use for the HID's ???

MikeATS
06-20-13, 06:20 PM
looks bad ass !! .... What exact Aftermarket kit did you use for the HID's ???

Thanks Lexino,

I used DDM Tuning's 4500k 35W... I wanted a "stock" look.

lexino
06-20-13, 06:38 PM
What bulb type ?

MikeATS
06-20-13, 07:01 PM
What bulb type ?

----------

What bulb type ?

CZ4
06-21-13, 10:16 AM

Stole the pic from another thread. Is the stock 9012/HIR2 completely interchangeable with 9006?

I got some left over 9006 aftermarket bulbs from another car, wouldn't mind trying them on the ATS.
Non-hid halogen 9006.

romanats
06-21-13, 11:10 AM
Mike ATS what about the resistors ?

MikeATS
06-21-13, 04:53 PM

Stole the pic from another thread. Is the stock 9012/HIR2 completely interchangeable with 9006?

I got some left over 9006 aftermarket bulbs from another car, wouldn't mind trying them on the ATS.
Non-hid halogen 9006.

They'll definitely fit into the socket... You shouldn't have any issues with it. However, if you're going to you're going to take the non-HID route, you might as well buy LED headlight bulbs from ebay

----------

Mike ATS what about the resistors ?

You did warn me about the resistors as well, but I had to test it for myself :) and ended up buying the resistors immediately afterwards

romanats
06-21-13, 05:31 PM
i think there are some HD kits that have resistors in the balast but not the ones we bought from DDM. The resostors are only $10 so no biggy

MikeATS
06-21-13, 05:44 PM
They came out to about $22 since I had to pay for separate S&H... We are talking about $40k cars though :)

Supersonnic
08-17-13, 09:26 AM
I am new here (also the first time Cadillac owner) and this is my first post :bigroll:. I've ordered kits before for VW, some were directly plug-in and that's it, few others required splicing wires and were total pain in the a** (all ordered from DDM). Now three questions for you...
1. Is it just plug the ballast into original wiring (that goes to the bulb)?
2. Is there any way to hide the ballast within the housing?
3. Resistors (anti-flicker? or anti-light-out warning?).

Hoosier Daddy
08-17-13, 10:24 AM
I am new here (also the first time Cadillac owner) and this is my first post :bigroll:. I've ordered kits before for VW, some were directly plug-in and that's it, few others required splicing wires and were total pain in the a** (all ordered from DDM). Now three questions for you...
1. Is it just plug the ballast into original wiring (that goes to the bulb)?
2. Is there any way to hide the ballast within the housing?
3. Resistors (anti-flicker? or anti-light-out warning?).
This sticky thread may answer some of your questions: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/312402-cadillac-ats-how-h-i-d.html

malaka1
08-17-13, 06:50 PM
Link to the reverse lights? I copy pasted what you posted and it came up with lots of 20 little leds...?

Kalibr
08-22-13, 10:52 PM
I purchased a set of 9006 ultra white (non-HID) bulbs and they didn't fit in the headlight housing. When you compare the two bulbs, the 3 tabs along the base of the bulbs seem to be different sizes/angles. Anyone else have this problem?

Stevo Supremo
08-25-13, 01:33 AM
nope^ my HIDS are 9006 and they fit perfectly

Kalibr
08-30-13, 05:56 PM
nope^ my HIDS are 9006 and they fit perfectly

Only 2 of the 3 tabs on the 9006 bulb seemed to fit in the headlight housing. When I compared the two bulbs, one of the side tabs was wider than on the 9006, so I trimmed about 3mm off with a Dremel tool. It finally fit perfectly.