: Help please

jmarie__
06-19-13, 10:59 PM
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. My name is Jennifer and I'm having a problem with my car.

I inherited a 2007 Cadillac CTS V6 from my father a few months ago so I don't know too much about this car. I had the tires changed, and put in new rotors and new brakes last week.

Today my boyfriend started the car to go to work and he called me and let me know it was shaking, which it never does. I went outside and the temp gauge was already in the middle (after only about 3 minutes of the car turning on) ... Then the check engine light came on. The car has no leaks and the info system only says to check window washer fluid which clearly isn't the problem. The car never overheated but continued to shake. Can anybody help me out??? Thank you!

robojesus
06-19-13, 11:15 PM
sounds like a head gasket.

what was the ambient temperature outside?

are any of your radiator fans broken?

jmarie__
06-20-13, 01:21 AM
Fans are working and it was about 70 degrees, maybe a little less. The head gasket crossed my mind actually cuz something similar happened to my civic a while ago.

darkman
06-20-13, 06:53 AM
There are many possibilities. The error code that set the check engine light will indicate the nature of the problem. Buy a scanner from an auto parts store (go to a shop) and determine the code.

AAIIIC
06-20-13, 07:55 AM
Sorry for your loss. Two suggestions to help you get help:

(1) Put some detail in the title of the thread. "Help please" won't draw in as many views as "Help - 2007 CTS excessive shaking at idle" or something similar that will give folks an idea what the thread is about.
(2) If the car is a V6, you might have better luck in the forum for the 1st generation V6 cars (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/).

With that said, was the car idling at the normal RPM? Did you drive it all, or just try taking it out of Park and into Drive to see if it changed behavior?

There are a variety of things it could be, but without a Check Engine Light and associated code, it's hard to diagnose over the intarweb. It might take a bit of running for the CEL to pop on.

Edit: Looks like you anticipated my 2 suggestions - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/311786-help-please-2007-cadillac-cts-shaking.html

JFensty
06-20-13, 08:02 AM
Usually autozone or similar auto parts store will check the error code for you free of charge, if you do not have a scanner yourself. Post what code is causing the light.

robojesus
06-20-13, 06:29 PM
to me, it seems like a head gasket. the leak is causing a misfire, and the head gasket is causing the overheat.

thebigjimsho
06-21-13, 12:40 AM
Sorry for your loss. Two suggestions to help you get help:

(1) Put some detail in the title of the thread. "Help please" won't draw in as many views as "Help - 2007 CTS excessive shaking at idle" or something similar that will give folks an idea what the thread is about.
(2) If the car is a V6, you might have better luck in the forum for the 1st generation V6 cars (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/).

With that said, was the car idling at the normal RPM? Did you drive it all, or just try taking it out of Park and into Drive to see if it changed behavior?

There are a variety of things it could be, but without a Check Engine Light and associated code, it's hard to diagnose over the intarweb. It might take a bit of running for the CEL to pop on.

Edit: Looks like you anticipated my 2 suggestions - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/311786-help-please-2007-cadillac-cts-shaking.html

But she's a girl!

Faber
06-21-13, 08:30 AM
lol...I find it funny how nice folks are when its a girl posting vs. a guy...

Becker
06-21-13, 08:46 AM
agreed.. i think most would assume a guy "know" exactly what to do....always comical to see someone get they're head bitten off for asking for assistance with a problem in the wrong "format"

Mn800r
06-21-13, 11:59 AM
I think jimbo spooked her..

odla
06-21-13, 01:07 PM
Jimbo spooks all lol.

mberisha
06-21-13, 01:22 PM
He sp00ked me too......