: Short tires....

krazik
06-19-13, 04:56 PM
I'm ordering a set of tsw nurburgrings and I have an old set of 285/30/18's from my race car that I was thinking of killing next weekend at laguna.

Besides the speedo being wrong will the traction control etc freak out? do I need tpms sensors in the wheels too?

Dr. Design
06-19-13, 08:04 PM
Hello,

Do you run with TC ON or OFF? TC might try to over compensate with the shorter dia setup. But if you go stabilitrak off, you should be fine. No you do not need TPMS sensors on the racewheels. Looking forward to seeing you out there next weekend.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I'm ordering a set of tsw nurburgrings and I have an old set of 285/30/18's from my race car that I was thinking of killing next weekend at laguna.

Besides the speedo being wrong will the traction control etc freak out? do I need tpms sensors in the wheels too?

thebigjimsho
06-19-13, 08:45 PM
Those are wayyyy too short. My short slicks were 275/40 18...

krazik
06-19-13, 11:34 PM
Hello,

Do you run with TC ON or OFF? TC might try to over compensate with the shorter dia setup. But if you go stabilitrak off, you should be fine. No you do not need TPMS sensors on the racewheels

Looking forward to seeing you out there next weekend.

Everything off, no computer aids for me. I'll probably just be there on Friday. Maybe I'll come down for a session or two on sat.

Some of you met me at Sears Point. I had the red s2000 (https://www.facebook.com/DrivingAmbitionUs) at sears and my grey 09 v sedan is my daily.

Here's some vid of my last year on shittier than stock tires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovu0JJvBNZM

I really wanna try again on race tires, but not looking to blow a bunch of money since the caddy is my daily and occasional track toy when bored :)

Which car was yours at sears?

----------

Those are wayyyy too short. My short slicks were 275/40 18...
Yeah 2" shorter than stock. But except for a ~10% change in gearing, the should work fine. So long as the car's computers don't get pissed at put me into some form of limp mode. I've heard stories of the vettes going this.

Dr. Design
06-20-13, 01:03 PM
Oh okay, yeah I think I recall running into you. Weren't you at Willow and we spoke for a few? I drive this D3 White/Black V Coupe -
http://cadillacrace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2013-Cadillac-Challenge-prsntd-by-Toyo-Tires-RD2-Chuckwalla-03.jpg

As long as your overall dia is overall small it shouldn't hurt you.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

krazik
06-20-13, 01:43 PM
As long as your overall dia is overall small it shouldn't hurt you.

I dont follow.

Dr. Design
06-20-13, 01:49 PM
Sorry, I should have elaborated.

As long as your overall diameter front and rear are the same it wont matter how short or tall the tire is (to a certain extent). It will not adversely effect the vehicle to the point that ABS and the TC system will freak out. Its when people run too much of a variance between front and rear tire (i.e. 25.1 OD front w/27.5 OD rear). The wheel speed difference between front and rear will cause the TC system to freak out. At a certain MPH you can feel the car "tugging" through the TC engaging trying to regulate wheel speed.

Please let us know if there are any other questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I dont follow.

krazik
06-20-13, 01:51 PM
got it. thank you.

same size tire on all 4 corners in my case. I'll get the right size when these are done.