: I like Bentley's new Flying Spur!

orconn
06-19-13, 04:12 PM
At last a car designed in the new idiom that preserves rear seat room and delivers good looks and fine materials and hopefully craftsmanship at a reasonable price .... all things considered!

A car for Cadillac to emulate as they try to reinvent themselves a "luxury" car maker.

thebigjimsho
06-19-13, 05:00 PM
I was with Jesda Sunday night and we were looking at a Continental. Both that and the current Flying Spur just look so bland. Great cars, but bland...

orconn
06-19-13, 05:24 PM
Bland may be the point. Cars with excessive styling cues may be fine as collector pieces, to be used as attention getting gimmick cars, but for a car to live with on a daily basis, for carrying out one's daily transportation chores would more than likely get old pretty quick.

I consider the 4th and fifth series Sevilles to be very good looking and yet not so flashy or obviously attention getting so as to "broadcast" look at me to everyone who passes by. Some would say it was a matter of taste, others might look on it as "bland."

thebigjimsho
06-19-13, 07:31 PM
Rolls Royce can be called a number of things. Bland is not one of them...

orconn
06-19-13, 09:38 PM
^^^ Gosh, I don't know how you can say that! The Phantom looks like finely finished brick with a demi- brick stuck on top of the lower one, finished off with a new rendition of the Rolls fireplace radiator shell and a disappearing "spirit of .....?" (perhaps the famous Rolls lady should now be called "Spirit of Lament"). The best one can say of it is it is sort of a take off on a "Art Nouveau" brick! And to think, Jim, you were chastising some of us for our taste!

77CDV
06-19-13, 11:36 PM
It can be yours for mere money! :)

At last a car designed in the new idiom that preserves rear seat room and delivers good looks and fine materials and hopefully craftsmanship at a reasonable price .... all things considered!

A car for Cadillac to emulate as they try to reinvent themselves a "luxury" car maker.

orconn
06-20-13, 01:06 AM
^^^ It's only mere money after you've earned it and it its' in your account, after taxes! But then its' only mere money!

Jesda
06-20-13, 02:08 AM
I like the strict, upright, uptight styling of RRs. Bentley has become too bulbous and VW-like. Still super-ultra-premium, no question, and far beyond my means, but the styling no longer conveys ultra exclusivity.

Back in 2005 I saw a girl pull up to my university parking lot in a Continental. She crammed it in between a Grand Am and a Caravan. I'll never forget it. Her father must have loaned it to her while her Scion was in the shop?

orconn
06-20-13, 02:10 AM
There are some great looking sedans out there, unfortunately you have to be built like a Grand Prix driver to get in and out of them! The same thing goes if you want to fit comfortably in the back seat of one of the "coupe" sedans in the "executive" class!

Personally, if I had young kids today I would want them to be able to see out of their rear seat perches and not be totally reliant on Disney for their views on the world!

Koooop
06-20-13, 10:59 AM
I like the strict, upright, uptight styling of RRs. Bentley has become too bulbous and VW-like. Still super-ultra-premium, no question, and far beyond my means, but the styling no longer conveys ultra exclusivity.

Back in 2005 I saw a girl pull up to my university parking lot in a Continental. She crammed it in between a Grand Am and a Caravan. I'll never forget it. Her father must have loaned it to her while her Scion was in the shop?

That's funny, I used to take my Dads Silver Shadow to High School when he was out if town, but I found the Ferrari was better suited to the tiny parking spaces at College.

thebigjimsho
06-20-13, 12:12 PM
^^^ Gosh, I don't know how you can say that! The Phantom looks like finely finished brick with a demi- brick stuck on top of the lower one, finished off with a new rendition of the Rolls fireplace radiator shell and a disappearing "spirit of .....?" (perhaps the famous Rolls lady should now be called "Spirit of Lament"). The best one can say of it is it is sort of a take off on a "Art Nouveau" brick! And to think, Jim, you were chastising some of us for our taste!

Exactly. Not bland.

Koooop
06-20-13, 01:21 PM
I test drove a flying spur a few months back (4 year old used car), it was awesome!