: 2010 SRX leaking into trunk and ruined power liftgate module

NLCassidy
06-19-13, 04:36 PM
So far, water only seemed to have pooled where the trunk release mechanism is. Any ideas where the leak could be coming from? Dealer had my car all day and could not find it. They will look again when the new module comes in to fix my power liftgate. I do have a sunroof. Could the drains be clogged? I would have thought that would be the first place they looked.

Thanks.

----------

Added info - they can't pinpoint the leak because they couldn't even get the liftgate to open manually and had to crawl into my trunk from the backseat. The leak seems to be coming from the left side. Waiting on the new module then for them to be able to get a better look.

Still would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-19-13, 04:57 PM
So far, water only seemed to have pooled where the trunk release mechanism is. Any ideas where the leak could be coming from? Dealer had my car all day and could not find it. They will look again when the new module comes in to fix my power liftgate. I do have a sunroof. Could the drains be clogged? I would have thought that would be the first place they looked.

Thanks.

----------

Added info - they can't pinpoint the leak because they couldn't even get the liftgate to open manually and had to crawl into my trunk from the backseat. The leak seems to be coming from the left side. Waiting on the new module then for them to be able to get a better look.

Still would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.
Hello NLCassidy,

I apologize that the dealership has not been able to find the source of the leak in your SRX. Please keep us updated on the situation, and if you would like me to reach out to them regarding this issue, I’d be more than happy to. Thank you very much for your time. I will look forward to your updates.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Williamrice
06-19-13, 05:47 PM
To NLCassidy,
I have just heard from my Cadillac dealer about the exact same problem. They say my sunroof drains are clogged and water is pooling on the passenger side foot well as well as my lift gate module sitting in water. They say they can unclog the front drain tubes but need to replace each of the rear ones. The total costs is quoted at about $800.00. I am upset and concerned that this problem is not covered by a service recall or warranty. I have looked at other forums and see that this problem has existed on some earlier models and should have been addressed in my owners manual.

Any comments?

Williamrice

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-19-13, 06:42 PM
To NLCassidy,
I have just heard from my Cadillac dealer about the exact same problem. They say my sunroof drains are clogged and water is pooling on the passenger side foot well as well as my lift gate module sitting in water. They say they can unclog the front drain tubes but need to replace each of the rear ones. The total costs is quoted at about $800.00. I am upset and concerned that this problem is not covered by a service recall or warranty. I have looked at other forums and see that this problem has existed on some earlier models and should have been addressed in my owners manual.

Any comments?

Williamrice
Hello Williamrice,

I apologize that you are experiencing this issue with your sunroof leaking in your SRX as well. We look at our customer concerns on a case by case basis and recalls are VIN specific. If you could send me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with, I will be able to look into your concern. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

etexlady
06-21-13, 11:21 PM
Happened to me too. My service manager said the drain tubes from the roof get clogged, in my case, it was with oak tree pollen, and when it rains the water and pollen mix into a paste. Shorted out the truck lock mechanism. Took them a week to get it repaired. It was a warranty repair, thank goodness.

C5msg
06-25-13, 09:52 PM
Had the exact same problem with my 2011. Liftgate module shorted out while we were on vacation. Luckily everything was covered under warranty. Roof drains were plugged. The Sarasota Cadillac dealer took care of everything. Good thing because the dealer told me it was over $1000. Good luck with your repairs. Sounds like Cadillac has a problem with their roof drains.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-26-13, 01:49 PM
Had the exact same problem with my 2011. Liftgate module shorted out while we were on vacation. Luckily everything was covered under warranty. Roof drains were plugged. The Sarasota Cadillac dealer took care of everything. Good thing because the dealer told me it was over $1000. Good luck with your repairs. Sounds like Cadillac has a problem with their roof drains.

Hello C5msg,

Glad to hear your repairs were fixed under warranty and you were satisfied with your dealer visit. We can be contacted via private message if there are ever any other concerns your questions you have.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

zinner
06-26-13, 05:24 PM
yeah mine have clogged up also on my 2010 SRX. Both the sunroof and headlights.

repnatl
06-28-13, 11:22 AM
I thought they would have corrected this issue since the first gen was plagued with the same issue.

NLCassidy
06-28-13, 05:45 PM
Hi all. Cadillac is getting fixed today, so unfortunately no updates yet. Was hoping they would call with an update since they had it since 7:30 this morning. While I was waiting in service, I heard them talking about a couple other vehicles with the sunroof drain issues. I bought my Cadillac used from a Chevy dealer. But my factory warranty is still in effect, plus I opted for the extended warranty. Hoping if it is a drain issue, those would be replaced under warranty. We've had quite a rainy season here in New England, which I'm sure doesn't help anything.

davedogcaddy
06-29-13, 01:01 PM
Hi all. Cadillac is getting fixed today, so unfortunately no updates yet. Was hoping they would call with an update since they had it since 7:30 this morning. While I was waiting in service, I heard them talking about a couple other vehicles with the sunroof drain issues. I bought my Cadillac used from a Chevy dealer. But my factory warranty is still in effect, plus I opted for the extended warranty. Hoping if it is a drain issue, those would be replaced under warranty. We've had quite a rainy season here in New England, which I'm sure doesn't help anything.

if it's under the factory warranty it doesn't matter where you bought it, they will cover this issue.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-30-13, 02:42 PM
NLCassidy,

Any further updates on your SRX? We hope all went well on Friday!

Sarah (Assisting Laura)
Cadillac Customer Care

NLCassidy
07-01-13, 02:16 PM
Was told on Saturday that there was a leak coming from the sunroof. Supposedly everything was fixed that afternoon, they just had to put everything back together. Still wasn't told if it was the actual sunroof or the drains as I haven't talked to any tecnicians, just a service advisor. They weren't able to get everything back together Saturday and they were closed yesterday. Got another call today saying the technician working on my car had an emergency come up and now they are offering me a loaner. Can't believe someone else can't just put all the panels back. But at least I have something to drive instead of relying on favors from other people.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-01-13, 05:37 PM
Was told on Saturday that there was a leak coming from the sunroof. Supposedly everything was fixed that afternoon, they just had to put everything back together. Still wasn't told if it was the actual sunroof or the drains as I haven't talked to any tecnicians, just a service advisor. They weren't able to get everything back together Saturday and they were closed yesterday. Got another call today saying the technician working on my car had an emergency come up and now they are offering me a loaner. Can't believe someone else can't just put all the panels back. But at least I have something to drive instead of relying on favors from other people.

Hello NLCassidy,

I understand how you want your vehicle back in your hands. I apologize an issue came up with the technician and your vehicle has not been put back together yet. Glad to know the dealer was able to provide you with a loaner vehicle for the time being. Please let us know how everything goes and when you have your vehicle back. If there are ever any concerns or questions that arise, don't hesitate to contact us! We can be reached via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

deeami
07-02-13, 11:45 AM
I also got the same prob with my SRX 2011.My control module and pump were all ruined by water leak.
I havent found out where to purchase the new ones.Can anyone help me ?.thanks a lot

adamjeeps
07-02-13, 02:16 PM
I also got the same prob with my SRX 2011.My control module and pump were all ruined by water leak.
I havent found out where to purchase the new ones.Can anyone help me ?.thanks a lot

Don't you have a warranty that would cover this?

NLCassidy
07-02-13, 03:50 PM
Finally got my vehicle back! Clogged sunroof drain and it became disconnected. So everything fixed, and was told they can chekc the drains at no cost anytime I bring the car in for service. Everything covered under warranty thank goodness.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-02-13, 06:03 PM
Finally got my vehicle back! Clogged sunroof drain and it became disconnected. So everything fixed, and was told they can chekc the drains at no cost anytime I bring the car in for service. Everything covered under warranty thank goodness.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Hi NLCassidy,

I am happy to hear your vehicle is back in your hands. That is good news to hear the dealer was able to fix your vehicle issues under warranty. You know how to contact us if there is anything in the near future you would like to further discuss or if you have any other questions.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Hello deeami,

I apologize that you have experienced the same issue with your SRX. Have you taken your vehicle into the dealership for a diagnosis yet? If you would like assistance in working with the dealership, please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you plan on working with. I see that you are a new user to the forums, so if you are not able to private message me, you can email me at socialmedia@gm.com as well. Be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

deeami
07-04-13, 08:37 AM
:D I already purchased new ones.However, I heard that control module is related to electrical system so i have to install some softwares together with replacing the new parts..Is it right and where to download those softwares ?.

many thanks for those spending time reading this!

TheCaptain
07-04-13, 10:18 PM
Deeami, you're asking questions that the dealer should be dealing with. Hopefully someone has an answer for ya, but its not me...

deeami
07-05-13, 01:36 PM
I just wanna do it myself :)

anyway thank you!

SFVetteman
07-05-13, 03:58 PM
I just wanna do it myself :)

anyway thank you!Assuming there was a site that you could access to download the software, what device do you have that can upload the software into the PCM?

Bill

tsinsurance
12-27-13, 11:12 AM
I have a 2010 SRX. At 57,000 miles on a vehical that is garaged at both home and work, the liftgate module has to be replaced as it shows signs of water damage and rust. $700 to replace regarding a problem that clearly started when our warranty was in force. Per the question somebody posted in this forum.....Why in the world has there not been a recall regarding this common issue? My car passed all water test this morning. No they found no leaks which means this is going to happen again. Not happy at all with this outcome.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-27-13, 06:39 PM
I have a 2010 SRX. At 57,000 miles on a vehical that is garaged at both home and work, the liftgate module has to be replaced as it shows signs of water damage and rust. $700 to replace regarding a problem that clearly started when our warranty was in force. Per the question somebody posted in this forum.....Why in the world has there not been a recall regarding this common issue? My car passed all water test this morning. No they found no leaks which means this is going to happen again. Not happy at all with this outcome.
Hello tsinsurance,

I apologize that you are experiencing this concern with your with your liftgate module in your SRX. I would be more than happy to look further into this concern for you. Could you provide me with your name contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you have been working with in a private message? If you aren’t able to private message me, you can also reach me via email at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I hope to hear back from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

cyndycyn
06-13-14, 02:55 PM
I am having this problem right now. Cadillac is insisting I spilled something sticky and it ruined the pump. Thanks for the postings I will tell them about the sunroof drains. They want me to pay $1500 right now. they are trying to tell me that I spilled something sticky and I am 100% sure that I did not. I feel like they are trying to pull a fast one on me and if that's true...I will never buy another Cadillac again.

retcad
06-14-14, 07:40 PM
just glad my 2010 doesn't have a sunroof...........

adamjeeps
06-15-14, 10:48 AM
I am having this problem right now. Cadillac is insisting I spilled something sticky and it ruined the pump. Thanks for the postings I will tell them about the sunroof drains. They want me to pay $1500 right now. they are trying to tell me that I spilled something sticky and I am 100% sure that I did not. I feel like they are trying to pull a fast one on me and if that's true...I will never buy another Cadillac again.

Spilled something sticky where and ruined what pump?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-18-14, 02:27 PM

cyndycyn,

My deepest apologies to read about this situation. Although unable to guarantee anything, we certainly understand your frustration and would like to assist. When you're able, please message us privately so we can discuss the matter further. We look forward to hearing from you.

William R.
Cadillac Customer Care

Nice Ride
06-19-14, 01:57 AM
Is there a way to check / clean out the drain tubes? Spray canned air through them? How many drain tubes are there? Can you reverse clean them with canned air?:suspense:

BattChief7
06-30-14, 05:07 PM
I had this issue with my 2011. Clogged drain tubes led to shorted out lift gate module. Extended warranty would not cover and they told me I would be responsible. I fought it and asked them to provide me with description of preventive maintenance that would keep drains from clogging. they admitted that there is no preventive maintenance to address this issue. In other words, it is a design flaw. My fight got the price of repair reduced from $900 to $200.

DJMFL
07-16-14, 07:00 PM
I thought that I had posted to this forum but don't see it so I'll try again. I've had the exact same problem with water frying the rear module and more. It's now spending the night in a Cadillac dealer near in Asheville, NC. I explained to them that this has been an ongoing issue with this car to the point that my home, Ocala, FL dealer has repaired it under warranty 3 times. Now it's out of warranty (although it is a certified preowned) and the dealer here wants me to pay for a repair that obviously is not unique to this model. They claim they've never had a warranty claim on leaking sun roofs! I appreciate everyone posting this problem here. Why should I have to pay for an issue that is something that Cadillac should have solved and performed a refit. Very frustrating to have this happen so far from home. At least the dealer in Asheville is a top notch group of people and they are working hard to fix everything. Any help is appreciated! Don

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-16-14, 11:58 PM
Hi DJMFL,

I can understand how this issue would be frustrating and I apologize for any inconvenience it has caused. I’m glad to see that you are working with a dealership to resolve this concern and I would appreciate it if you could keep us updated on how the repairs are going. If you do require an additional layer of assistance while working with the dealership, please feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss this further.

Enjoy your night,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

DJMFL
07-17-14, 12:44 PM
I just received a call from Harry's, the Asheville,NC dealer that is working on my SRX. It's ready and the repair was completed at no charge to me! Now that's customer service that will keep me as a customer to both Harry's and Cadillac. Thanks especially to John Woods, Harry's service advisor that was there for me all the way, and to Harry's for having every part needed in stock. Cadillac, you make superb vehicles and back them! Thanks!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-17-14, 01:39 PM
Hello DJMFL,

Thank you for updating everyone here on the forum. We are thrilled to hear you had an outstanding experience at your dealership! Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

Ldadam
07-25-14, 12:42 AM
I have a 2010 Cadillac SRX. 2 months ago I found my passenger floor mat sopping wet. My driver side was also wet. This happened several times to my passenger side, but not my driver side. I saw on this forum and other google searches, that many owners are experiencing this same problem. I took it to a local autobody shop and they forced air and flushed my sunroof drainage tubes. It just rained again recently and my passenger side, again, was wet. After speaking to the local dealer where we purchased the car from, they told me that I would have to leave the car for at least 2 days for them to determine the problem.... and because my car is over 50K miles (56,000) it will NOT be under any warranty. Has anyone else had to pay for this problem to be corrected? Apparently there is a PI Cadillac issued about this?? "Water Leak at Driver/Front Passenger Floor Area and/or Front Carpet Wet - (Jun 27, 2011)" Any help is appreciated!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-30-14, 01:58 PM
I have a 2010 Cadillac SRX. 2 months ago I found my passenger floor mat sopping wet. My driver side was also wet. This happened several times to my passenger side, but not my driver side. I saw on this forum and other google searches, that many owners are experiencing this same problem. I took it to a local autobody shop and they forced air and flushed my sunroof drainage tubes. It just rained again recently and my passenger side, again, was wet. After speaking to the local dealer where we purchased the car from, they told me that I would have to leave the car for at least 2 days for them to determine the problem.... and because my car is over 50K miles (56,000) it will NOT be under any warranty. Has anyone else had to pay for this problem to be corrected? Apparently there is a PI Cadillac issued about this?? "Water Leak at Driver/Front Passenger Floor Area and/or Front Carpet Wet - (Jun 27, 2011)" Any help is appreciated!

Hello Ldadam,

I hope I am not getting to you too late. I apologize you have had to experience this with your SRX. If you are still working with the dealership regarding this leaking concern and would like an additional layer of support, please feel free to send me a private message. I’m happy to look into your situation further.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

Ldadam
07-30-14, 02:19 PM
Katie please let me know how to send you a message.

TheCaptain
07-30-14, 08:55 PM
Click on the person's name, then click 'Private Message'

robonymous
07-31-14, 10:19 AM

You may find this thread interesting: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/382297-2010-srx-water-leaking-under-glove.html

morelli777
10-16-14, 06:17 PM
We are having this same problem with a 2010 srx, the dealer has it right now. I have not heard from them yet, but I hope it will be covered because this seems to be a problem with this model, not something that is a fault of my own.

TheCaptain
10-17-14, 11:09 AM
Sorry, but "not a fault of mine" doesn't work for warranty. Those little numbers on the dash say if it is in warranty or not.
(Though sometimes your relationship with a dealer can affect this in positive or negative ways)

morelli777
10-17-14, 11:46 AM
My question to you then sir is where are the instructions for the preventive maintenance of these drains to keep them from clogging? They don't seem to exist, which to me would indicate a design flaw which should be the responsibility of the manufacturer. Right on this thread you can see the issue over and over again.

adamjeeps
10-17-14, 12:18 PM
Per my owner manual Page 2-28:

Dirt and debris may collect on the
sunroof seal or in the track. This
could cause an issue with sunroof
operation, noise, or plugging the
water drainage system. Periodically
open the sunroof and remove any
obstacles or loose debris. Wipe the
sunroof seal and roof sealing area
using a clean cloth, mild soap, and
water. Do not remove grease from
the sunroof.

Crunch_the_numbers
10-17-14, 01:07 PM
Looks like that statement was added to the 2011 manual. The closest I see in the Cadillac.com pdf of the 2010 manual (https://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals_and_Videos/01_images/2010_cadillac_srx_owners_manual.pdf) can be found on page 1-28:

"Do not keep the sunroof open for long periods of time while the vehicle is not in use. Excessive debris may collect in the tracks and possibly plug the water draining system."

The 2010 wording isn't quite as cautionary as the more recent versions. In addition, I've read some comments about the drain tube in 2010s shrinking. I see nothing in any of the manuals that would appear to cover treating the drain tubes to prevent shrinkage.

Nonetheless, I believe The Captain's comment is merely that whatever is needed, it falls outside of the warranty period. That's not to say that the dealer won't comp a repair, in recognition that it appears to be a common issue, but it wouldn't be warranty work.

morelli777
10-17-14, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the information. I have kept the sunroof in good clean working order, it hardly even gets used. No other preventive maintenance advice has ever been given to me to keep it from needing a costly repair. All I can say at this point, after speaking to the dealership, GM, and the 'Cadillac Customer Service' folks in this forum is:

***BUYER BEWARE*** 2010 Cadillac Model SRX has a design flaw that may eventually cause a backup in the sunroof drainage system that could damage the electrical systems such as trunk release and power doors, and this will not be covered once your bumper to bumper warranty ends. Mine caused problems shortly after the warranty expired, and now they want me to pay upwards of $500+ just to begin to repair the flawed system.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with this model, now that most (if not all) 2010 SRX's have fallen out of their bumper to bumper warranty periods? The people telling their happy stories here in this forum all seemed to post their stories in 2013 when their vehicles must have still been under warranty.

Mike in Kansas
10-17-14, 03:38 PM
Does this situation exist with MY's newer than 2010? I don't recall reading on here that the 2011's and 2012's have this issue, but thought I'd ask.

TheCaptain
10-18-14, 10:45 AM
Looks like that statement was added to the 2011 manual. The closest I see in the Cadillac.com pdf of the 2010 manual (https://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals_and_Videos/01_images/2010_cadillac_srx_owners_manual.pdf) can be found on page 1-28:

"Do not keep the sunroof open for long periods of time while the vehicle is not in use. Excessive debris may collect in the tracks and possibly plug the water draining system."

My 2010 Manual has it on page 1-26. Canadian manual.

Mike in Kansas, it doesn't appear that any newer than 2010 models have this issue, even some 2010's don't. My old 2010 doesn't.

adamjeeps
10-18-14, 11:01 AM

If you keep reading on page 1-28, it is the very last paragraph, under the anti-pinch heading.

TheCaptain
10-18-14, 11:18 AM
It's not in my 2010 manual, just what numbers said is.

It is in my 2013 manual, on page 2-26. (The full 'sweep and clean periodically')

Crunch_the_numbers
10-18-14, 02:38 PM
It's not in my 2010 manual, just what numbers said is.

It is in my 2013 manual, on page 2-26. (The full 'sweep and clean periodically')

Retraction:

I don't have a copy of the Canadian manual, but I just looked at the file I posted again & sure enough, just as adamjeeps said, it's the last paragraph on the page, right where he said it was.

cadigirlchicago2
10-19-14, 02:24 PM
The more I see these posts the more angry I get. I had this happen to me, my 2010 srx drain hose came apart and it coast me 958 out of my own pocket after I threw an absolute fit about being quoted 3900 to fix a problem that is a manufacturer defect. I am so angry with GM I can't believe they think this is acceptable in any level.

Mike in Kansas
10-19-14, 11:37 PM
Mike in Kansas, it doesn't appear that any newer than 2010 models have this issue, even some 2010's don't. My old 2010 doesn't.

Thanks Captain!

NormV
10-20-14, 11:10 PM
Do most owners park near trees? Does the drains filling/coming apart effects certain areas of the country?

Just trying to narrow down the root cause.

SRX_Dave
10-21-14, 11:43 PM
Well I just had the first opportunity to wash my 2010 SRX today after owning it for a month and before I even started I ran the hose on the sunroof to see if I had the inevitable leak that has plagued just about every 2010 and there was nothing. I thought I was good... By the end of the wash, sure enough there was a pool of water on the driver side floor. I was so hoping that maybe it was repaired by the previous owner but I guess not. One thing different that I did notice was that once I took the interior trim out to see where it was leaking, I noticed that it was leaking from the top(above the door) and running down. Does anyone know how to remove the ceiling panel so I can see if the tube is even connected to the drain at the sunroof? I am so disappointed as I love this car and was really hoping I didn't have the drain problem. Any advice will be appreciated.

----------

Sorry. I had a brain fart. I meant the headliner.

SRX_Dave
10-22-14, 07:51 PM
All fixed. I was able to remove the "Oh s**t" grip and pull the headliner down just enough to get to the drain tube and sure enough it was disconnected. Reconnected it and put a zip tie around it to make sure it won't come off again. I ran about a half gallon of water through it and it all came out the bottom as it should and dry on the inside. Took me about 40 minutes and saved me a trip to the stealership and a whole lot of money.

cadigirlchicago2
10-22-14, 11:24 PM
Yep, that's exactly where mine was leaking.

blteacher
12-16-14, 05:44 PM
I'm upset because my 2011 SRX Performance tailgate pump, etc. was also immersed in water from a leak, but my dealer just informed me today that my certified preowned warranty won't cover this repair. So if this vehicle were brand-new, then should I still be responsible for what is obviously a seal issue? I saw a water stain near the roof during my test drive but the salesman said he'd have it checked and all well until now. This is my first and maybe my last Cadillac, so any suggestions?

adamjeeps
12-16-14, 07:40 PM
I'm upset because my 2011 SRX Performance tailgate pump, etc. was also immersed in water from a leak, but my dealer just informed me today that my certified preowned warranty won't cover this repair. So if this vehicle were brand-new, then should I still be responsible for what is obviously a seal issue? I saw a water stain near the roof during my test drive but the salesman said he'd have it checked and all well until now. This is my first and maybe my last Cadillac, so any suggestions?

When did you buy it? How many miles were on it when you bought it and how many miles are on it now?