: Missfire?

orandaberg
06-19-13, 11:27 AM
Hi
I have had this issue for what lack of a better term missfire
It only happens in 3 gear manual from 4000 to 4300 RPMS and goes away. It does not happen in auto or in any other gear in manual then 3rd and looking at the road and rpms at the same time my best guess out of several tries was between 4000-4300 RPM. If I downshift to 3rd then accelerate it does it. Any ideas? It does it in rapid successions till I upshift
Thanks

conedoctor
06-19-13, 12:42 PM
Triptroinic?

You mean tiptronic a feature our cars don't have.

orandaberg
06-19-13, 12:52 PM
Well manual then 1-6

glake89
06-19-13, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a chattering solenoid in the tranny valve body. If so, this is where a tranny flush can help.

orandaberg
06-19-13, 03:27 PM
Thanks can you elaborate a bit on tranny solenoid

glake89
06-19-13, 04:28 PM
In the SM look at the control body. They control almost everything the tranny does (just following orders from the CMs [T&E]).

orandaberg
06-20-13, 01:40 AM
Trans flush from dealer 1200 dollars including coffee. If I take it to a normal garage I will have to drill questions to make sure they are competent. Look at the equipment they have. It would be easy for them to say they did when really all they do is dump the pan.

glake89
06-20-13, 10:26 AM
Must be really good coffee!

orandaberg
06-20-13, 10:57 AM
Need to find a shop in lower Europe,looked in the SM,but nothing about flushing and the trans cooling line has special connections to the cooler and filling requires a pump,not a diy on jack stands. You need a trans jack just to hold the pan, not sure thats even the problem to dump 1200 dollars. Its only got a little over 50000 miles on it, I failed to mention thats just labor 1200 dollars, not the filter or gasket, filter is 212 dollars and gasket is 100 dollars (none of which they have) oil is 26,00 a liter and of course 26% sales tax. Oops forgot the pollution discharge tax to dump the oil in a drum for disposal

Whiplash_89
06-20-13, 11:59 AM
Well you're better of for most everything else in your life in Norway. Be happy.

orandaberg
06-20-13, 01:42 PM
Well the good news is if I do this, the guy who fixed my brake hose in Germany when I broke down on the autobahn said he could do it for 200 euros(264 dollars) including oil, and he has a machine that is specialy made for flushing transmissions, I just supply the filter and gasket or he could get it from Hamburg. What a price gap from above quote in Norway!! Good place to stop on my way to Belgium. I can live with that price and know I have fresh oil and filter

orandaberg
06-20-13, 04:20 PM
Another suggestion was:
Does the noise of the engine change at all during this hesitation? Do you feel it as a vibration in the car? What is the approximate MPH when this happens?

This could be a torque converter issue, unless the engine sounds differently.

conedoctor
06-20-13, 04:30 PM
So you found a guy to do the job for less than the cost of the oil, make sure you don't get what you pay for.

orandaberg
06-20-13, 04:48 PM
No
Like I mentioned in the mail above he was the one who my insurance sent to tow the truck to his garage, he only charged me 150 euro to replace the brake line that failed and that included the new brake hose and overnight shipping, I was in his shop and he is just a plan honest guy IMO. Thanks for the heads up anyway:cool:

conedoctor
06-20-13, 05:58 PM
Maybe I should read the post better.....

repnatl
06-20-13, 07:18 PM
Damn $1200 at a gm dealer over there? Its $180 parts and labor stateside that's a ripoff. Definatley can't move to Europe lol.

PJ1520
06-20-13, 11:44 PM
Remind me to stop whining about having to drive 22 miles to my dealer. PJ

orandaberg
06-21-13, 01:49 PM
Damn $1200 at a gm dealer over there? Its $180 parts and labor stateside that's a ripoff. Definatley can't move to Europe lol.
Europe is reasonable, its Skandinavia that rapes you. Not counting Sweden, they are more reasonable in prices

orandaberg
07-06-13, 10:40 AM
Hello
Madtuner and I have been disscussing this, he thinks it is the torque converter so we tried something.
From Madtuner
I am attaching a transmission calibration for you to positively identify if this issue is torque converter related. The stock calibration in this file is your stock calibration. The custom "A" is the custom tune I sent you previously. The custom "B" tune disabled torque converter lockup entirely. Give it a try and see if you still get the surge. Once you're done testing, you can go back to the custom "A" calibration.
Conclusion
Using the B tune there was nothing wrong in 3rd gear, no feeling of a misfire or lack in performance, everything was fine. went back to A tune and the problem returned (incidentally the problem was there before the tune so its not the new tune)
So I presume I am heading for a bad torque converter? runs fine in auto and runs good in manual as long as I get out of 3rd before 4100, (I mean it doable it will go up to 6000 its just the 4100 to 5000 it has the slight sputter till you upshift ,bad for 0-60 time trial, and I do want performance free trouble

orandaberg
07-07-13, 01:46 PM
Madtuner sent me a file to disable the lockup just for that manual 3rd gear. Tested it an no issues with the 3rd gear