: I'm a v now !!!

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-19-13, 11:17 AM
Well almost. Finally saying good by to my 1997 Grand Prix GTP. Been a VERY good car. I am the single owner. Bought it March 97. Has 211k and still running strong. Will probably pass it on to my nephew.

Now for the good stuff. I will pick up my new 2012 V sedan on Friday. A dealer near by had a 2012 they needed to get off the lot. Brand new only 111 test driven miles. So I helped them out. It's loaded. Black Diamond Tricoat, black recaro, sunroof, midnight wood package, yellow Brembos, suede steering wheel/shifter, and polished rims. Can't wait to pick it up. Been a long time since I have driven a rear wheel drive car with some power.

GM-4-LIFE
06-19-13, 11:22 AM
Congrats! You are going to love your new V! Please post pics!

Jinx
06-19-13, 12:08 PM
A lot has changed since 1997. I'm curious to hear your compative assessment. Especially what you miss about the GTP. (It has a HUD doesn't it?)

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-19-13, 01:18 PM
Yes it has the HUD. I loved that. But will adjust.

Jinx
06-19-13, 01:58 PM
It's strange. The HUD broke in my old car and I drove without it for several weeks before getting it fixed. I was surprised at how little I missed it. But I've only been in the V for three weeks and 600 miles and I'm really missing it now. Maybe it's the knowledge that this time I can't get it back. Or maybe I need to quit putting off those bifocals. Aging sucks.

mik2718
06-19-13, 02:31 PM
I had the HUD in my last three Pontiacs (1997 GTP, 2000 GTX, and 2005 GXP). I miss it every time I drive the V, but there's more than enough fun in the V to compensate. Practically speaking, the HUD put the car's speed far enough out front that I didn't need my bifocals and I rarely needed to look down toward the dash (and refocus my old eyes) for any reason. I would've traded any of those Pontiacs in a heartbeat for this V, if it had been available sooner.

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-19-13, 02:34 PM
I feel like a kid at xmas time. Friday can't come soon enough ...

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-22-13, 12:20 AM
Just got back from my cross state journey to buy my V. Didn't turn out as I had hoped. When I got there the car I came to buy was sitting out front. The Diamond coat is beautiful. The car had black rims and not polished liked the description said. Well we sat down for a test drive. That's when I started to get a sick feeling in my stomach. II could not get the Recaros adjusted enough to make me feel comfortable in the car. I tried and tried. I'm not all guy. 6-2 280. I had sat inn a coupe previously with Recaros and thought it was the headroom that made me feel uncomfortable. But I drove a standard CTS with standard seats and I felt comfortable. So I backed out of the car I originally went to purchase.

But the day didn't end to bad after all . They had a 2013 at another dealership near by. It was Raven black, polished rims, red Brembos, no Recaros and no sunroof. The no sunroof was an option I was really glad to loose. Took it for a test drive and felt very comfortable. So, even thought this was a newer year car it had a few less options. So I was able to get this car for the same payments as the 2012 I went to buy originally. When the sun comes up tomorrow I'll post a few pics. The only sad part of the day was I had to follow my wife and mother in law back cross the state of Florida. So here I am in a 556hp car capable of 175 mph and I'm doing 60-65 on I-4 .... I got passed by a Hyundai Accent ... I was so embarrassed ... Time to get some rest. Been a LOOOOOONNNGGG Day ...

thebigjimsho
06-22-13, 02:14 AM
Some people just like park benches. No worries...

Gman1023
06-22-13, 10:53 AM
Just got back from my cross state journey to buy my V. Didn't turn out as I had hoped. When I got there the car I came to buy was sitting out front. The Diamond coat is beautiful. The car had black rims and not polished liked the description said. Well we sat down for a test drive. That's when I started to get a sick feeling in my stomach. II could not get the Recaros adjusted enough to make me feel comfortable in the car. I tried and tried. I'm not all guy. 6-2 280. I had sat inn a coupe previously with Recaros and thought it was the headroom that made me feel uncomfortable. But I drove a standard CTS with standard seats and I felt comfortable. So I backed out of the car I originally went to purchase.

But the day didn't end to bad after all . They had a 2013 at another dealership near by. It was Raven black, polished rims, red Brembos, no Recaros and no sunroof. The no sunroof was an option I was really glad to loose. Took it for a test drive and felt very comfortable. So, even thought this was a newer year car it had a few less options. So I was able to get this car for the same payments as the 2012 I went to buy originally. When the sun comes up tomorrow I'll post a few pics. The only sad part of the day was I had to follow my wife and mother in law back cross the state of Florida. So here I am in a 556hp car capable of 175 mph and I'm doing 60-65 on I-4 .... I got passed by a Hyundai Accent ... I was so embarrassed ... Time to get some rest. Been a LOOOOOONNNGGG Day ...

Congrats on the new car, I'm looking forward to the pics. I'm a guy about your size and I wouldn't have the V without the Recaros myself, but everyone is built differently. They take some getting used to and at 1,600 miles I'm still not sure I have my final position set but they are designed to fit someone over 5'9" 160 which is extremely rare for a performance seat. Nice luck finding a car with no Ultraview too! Do you know if the car was dealer stock or a cancelled order? At least here no dealer would stock a CTS let alone a V without the roof.

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-22-13, 10:12 PM
Not sure what the deal was with this one. But this dealer had about a dozen Vs on the lot. Coupes, wagons, and sedans. Here are a few pics of mine.

DISCLAMER - I am NOT a professional photographer ...

stl_ls1gto
06-23-13, 04:24 AM
Looks like the dealer added the black grills also?

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-23-13, 07:54 AM
Looks like the dealer added the black grills also?

Correct. That, all weather mats, and wheel locks.

Gman1023
06-23-13, 12:23 PM
Great looking car! Enjoy it!

Kyle_B
06-24-13, 12:04 AM
All is well that ends well --congrats on the beautiful ride!