: OBD? DTC? How do I access these?

mechanix
02-07-05, 12:23 AM
My "Service Engine Soon" light stays on. Do I need to buy a scanner and learn how to use it in order to find out why? Thanx.:disappoin

Ranger
02-07-05, 07:42 PM
Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons until the DIC lights up all segments as a segment check. Then release them. The DTC's will be displayed at the bottom of the DIC. After they have been displayed you can clear them if you wish. When prompted with PCM?, answer yes with the HI FAN button. Then answer no with the LOW FAN button to the next prompts til you get to CLEAR PCM CODES?. Then obviously answer yes.

mechanix
02-09-05, 12:25 PM
Thank you, Ranger. That works pretty good. I was able to find and fix the problem.

Ranger
02-09-05, 02:14 PM
GREAT, glad I was able to help and thanks for the feed back.

STSNZ
03-15-05, 04:52 AM
I have a 1998 STS and would like to look at the codes. My STS does not have a OFF and WARMER buttons? Any ideas what buttons I should hit?
Also I don't think 4th gear is working, she runs 70mph at 3200rpm. When pull the stick back to 3rd - there is a jerk, like possibly the lockup converter, with only a 200rpm increase. Also in 3rd she has engine braking, but in 4th (D) there is no engine braking. Any ideas appreciated. Peter

mcowden
03-15-05, 10:40 AM
STSNZ -

You probably have analog gauges. In that case, hold down OFF and the passenger-side WARMER button to get the codes. Write them all down and whether they're History or Current, then post them here and somebody will be able to help you.

JimD
03-15-05, 11:07 AM
I have a 1998 STS and would like to look at the codes. My STS does not have a OFF and WARMER buttons? Any ideas what buttons I should hit?
Also I don't think 4th gear is working, she runs 70mph at 3200rpm. When pull the stick back to 3rd - there is a jerk, like possibly the lockup converter, with only a 200rpm increase. Also in 3rd she has engine braking, but in 4th (D) there is no engine braking. Any ideas appreciated. Peter

This will work for you.....

STSNZ
03-16-05, 12:33 AM
Awesome guys - and thanks Jim - I have been a mechanic for years and build race engines and currently crew chief for a 3 race V8 race team. So the codes won't be to dangerous for me!! But hopefully most useful..
I didi a silly thing re the no 4th (D) gear. I read all I could from ALLDATADIY (not that complete) and without ever seeing one of these 4T80E before (rebuilt many a TH400), figured it must be the auto temp switch! So after loosening the side cover of the trans....I was so deep by this time... had to drop the subframe assembly. I know I should of measured the resistance at the junction box - but still I could replace the filter and new oil! Checked the old sensor, and you guessed it - perfect*#@*
- 6 hours later its all back togther ready for a test drive. And its the same..
So any ideas on the lack of 4th - but I will check the codes tonight. Also driving today its 3000rpm at 70 mph - what RPM should it be in D for 70mph.
Ps. I also have a 1976 Cadillac Seville Milan Roadster with a 572cid - its a jem!
Thanks to all..
Peter