: Sad First Post. My ATS is having open engine surgery at 10 miles. :(

bvardy
06-18-13, 10:39 PM
Last week an ATS manual arrived at my dealer in Canada. Vin D0176871 A 2.0 MT Que and Sunroof. I was excited to take it for a test drive. I was the first to drive it, with 4km on the odometer. I only drove around the block as I had driven many auto ATS's during the search for MY car.

During my first drive I noticed that at any throttle above 5% the car had an extreme loss of power and the engine light came on. I returned to the dealer and informed my sales rep that there was something wrong with the car. He stated that it was still in delivery mode and therefore had the power disabled. He assured me that this would be rectified during PDI.

I continued with the purchase of the car and took delivery last night. My wife drove it home and complained that she prefered our cruze as it was smoother. I then drove it. There was some thing terribly wrong with it. It idled very rough and had no power at all and kept trying to stall. It felt to me as though it were only running on 2 maybee 3 cylinders.

I imeditally returned to the dealer and they gave me a loaner for the night.

I got a call from my sales rep today asking me to return his Regal (the loaner) and pick up a rental. He explained that they needed a special scan tool to read the codes out of it and that will not arrive until tomorow.

I went into the dealer. I picked up the rental from the service manager and asked him for a status update on my car. He told me that they were sending pictures of the engine internals to tech support as they have no idea what is wrong with it.

Summary
My car has Under 20Kms on it.

1. Had a major issue right off the truck.
2. Clearly no one checked it after my test drive last week.
3. Exactly what does the dealer inspect during the PDI? I paid for PDI, if that doesn't catch internal engine failure then what is the point?
4. Clearly the sales guy is hiding the facts from me.

I am quite upset that my $40K purchase is spending it's first two days ownership with its engine spread across a shop. And I am stuck driving a crappy (by comparison) rental car.

Questions
1. Has Cadillac customer service been any actual help to any of you?
2. Anybody else have anything like this?
3. Is there any chance I can make the dealer give me my trade back and take their broken car back?

I am open to any suggestions.

NY_Mikep72
06-18-13, 10:55 PM
My mother had a similar situation with a 2012 Subaru Forrester. With less than 2K miles on it, her car was losing oil...After the dealer had the car for a week, it was discovered that the engine block was cracked. The car was delivered that way. She fought Subaru Customer Service hard and at the end of the day, they bought the car back for the exact amount that was paid and sold her a new one.

You should fight this, both the dealer as well as GM do not want the bad press.

CJCTSV
06-18-13, 11:03 PM
1: On this form, absolutely not. Don't waste your time.

1a: Call Cadillac.

3: Not sure about where you are, but in Texas you have a 3 day buyers remorse clause.

CTSCHICK
06-19-13, 04:43 AM
If you were the first to drive the car since it was taken off the delivery truck then the Pre-delivery inspection probably wasn't completed
The PDI is just taking the car out of transport mode, checking the battery and fluids, install certain items that arent installed during shipping, visual inspection and then checking all of the functions along with a quick test drive.
They only pay the tech about an hour so to do it depending on the car.
Then a cleaning or detail job.

Hoosier Daddy
06-19-13, 06:44 AM
I'll give you 50 to 1 odds the salesman lied to you about the car just needing to be prepped. He wanted you to be stuck with the problem rather than him losing a sale and the dealer being stuck with a car they couldn't sell.

mikesul
06-19-13, 10:31 AM
I have never heard of an engine being in "delivery mode". That's B-S!

SLA
06-19-13, 12:21 PM

It's not BS. Many cars use this. It prevents the monkeys transporting, loading, and unloading the cars from wailing on them. Not sure if Caddy does this though.

What I don't understand is why the OP would buy a car without fully getting to test drive it. Delivery mode shmelivery mode. I want a real test drive or you lost a sale. It's like trying on a pair of sneaks that still have the paper in them.

thebigjimsho
06-19-13, 01:04 PM
I don't care what the laws or provisions are, if I drove away in a car that had a major issue it would go right back. And I'd demand a replacement. Not just a fix.

pissedoffwookiee
06-19-13, 01:55 PM

You are wrong...very wrong

1. turn on the emergency flashers

2. start the car, but do not remove your finger from the pressed start button for about 15 to 30 seconds.

3. looking at the DIC while your finger is pressed on the start button, tell us forum members what you see.

repeat to undo, this works with engine on or off

bvardy
06-19-13, 06:49 PM
Update...

My Wife called the service department today at 3:00. They still had no idea what is wrong with the car. She told them they better have our Jeep there cause we will be having it back. The service guy responded with ill have some one call you about that.

at 5:30 I went into the dealer and spoke to the service manager who admited they still have no idea what is wrong with it and will need some more time. He tried using the excuse that they are soo new and their techs are inexperienced with them so it may take some time. To which I responded you gys are luck to have me buy you a 45k dollar training aid. then I ask who I speak to about not buying the car.

I had a meeting with the sales manager. Who assures me that he wants me to be happy, that it is not to late to back out of the purchase and he can do so very easy. He asked me for one more day to see what he can do to keep me happy. ( the problem is there are no MT ATS's in my province). He swears that I can back out after tomorow. Technically tomorow is day 4.

I leased the car and the sales manager claimed that fear of a lemon should not effect my decision to keep it since it will be under warrenty for the entire lease. I reminded him that while it is broken i am driving a base verano. No leather No Nav No XM and no power. (terrible car) while paying and insuring for a Cadillac.

I gave them 24 HRS.

We shall see what happens.

I am completly prepared to close my account and let the finance company (GM) repossess it from the dealer. If I am not happy tomorow there is no way in hell that thing will be in my driveway.

Fraggy
06-19-13, 07:06 PM
Horrible for this to happen.

Stevo Supremo
06-19-13, 07:09 PM
I don't care what the laws or provisions are, if I drove away in a car that had a major issue it would go right back. And I'd demand a replacement. Not just a fix.

this^ I'd chain myself to the dealership doors and go on a hunger strike till I got a new car lol

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-19-13, 08:00 PM
Update...

My Wife called the service department today at 3:00. They still had no idea what is wrong with the car. She told them they better have our Jeep there cause we will be having it back. The service guy responded with ill have some one call you about that.

at 5:30 I went into the dealer and spoke to the service manager who admited they still have no idea what is wrong with it and will need some more time. He tried using the excuse that they are soo new and their techs are inexperienced with them so it may take some time. To which I responded you gys are luck to have me buy you a 45k dollar training aid. then I ask who I speak to about not buying the car.

I had a meeting with the sales manager. Who assures me that he wants me to be happy, that it is not to late to back out of the purchase and he can do so very easy. He asked me for one more day to see what he can do to keep me happy. ( the problem is there are no MT ATS's in my province). He swears that I can back out after tomorow. Technically tomorow is day 4.

I leased the car and the sales manager claimed that fear of a lemon should not effect my decision to keep it since it will be under warrenty for the entire lease. I reminded him that while it is broken i am driving a base verano. No leather No Nav No XM and no power. (terrible car) while paying and insuring for a Cadillac.

I gave them 24 HRS.

We shall see what happens.

I am completly prepared to close my account and let the finance company (GM) repossess it from the dealer. If I am not happy tomorow there is no way in hell that thing will be in my driveway.
Hello bvardy,

I apologize for the experience you have had at the dealership with your ATS. Have you contacted our customer care team in Canada yet? If you haven’t I would suggest speaking with them concerning this issue. Here is their number: 1-800-263-3777. Please keep us updated concerning this issue. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

torkibe
06-20-13, 08:19 AM

The ONLY acceptable answers are "Here is a brand NEW car (or one on order for you)" or "Here is your trade in and your money back in full." Whether it is a $45,000 car or a $200 phone is irrelevant; you are paying for a brand new item and should not have to have it repaired before you even own it!

Stevo Supremo
06-20-13, 09:34 AM
The ONLY acceptable answers are "Here is a brand NEW car (or one on order for you)" or "Here is your trade in and your money back in full." Whether it is a $45,000 car or a $200 phone is irrelevant; you are paying for a brand new item and should not have to have it repaired before you even own it!

THIS! right here, if it were a chinese ebay seller there would be

"many apologies valued dear customer! full refund or new product naow! dont be sad stay happy and tank-a-you for your bizness"

stevenzoz
06-20-13, 03:36 PM
I had a similar problem.. GM bought back my ATS and let me lease a new one

CTSCHICK
06-20-13, 07:35 PM

It is called transport mode it disables functions of the car to prevent a drain on the battery during delivery

bvardy
06-20-13, 08:17 PM
So I recieved a text from the sales manager stating they found the problem and ordered a part. He did not say what part. He also claimed 4 days to recieve said part. I had a long day at work today. So I didnt call back. I am going to try to call Cadillac customer service tonight see what they say. I say in this age 4 days they should be able to build a new car in 4 days.

I think I am going to test drive a BMW tomorow. I hear a 335 is nice!

Thanks for listening guys. It has been very therapeutic.

----------

So I called GM customer service. I spoke to Cathleen (in case any one from cadillac cares) Apparentally there is no differentiation between cadillac and gm here in canada. So only US Cadillac owners get preferential treetment. They took my information and said they will call me back after 2 tomorow. I let her know I will be at the BMW dealer. She seemed robotic. I am going to my local BMW dealer in the morning.

stevenzoz
06-20-13, 09:34 PM
So I called GM customer service. I spoke to Cathleen (in case any one from cadillac cares) Apparentally there is no differentiation between cadillac and gm here in canada. So only US Cadillac owners get preferential treetment.

Its the same in the US. Cadillac and GM customer service are all the same.

torkibe
06-20-13, 09:46 PM
So I recieved a text from the sales manager stating they found the problem and ordered a part. He did not say what part. He also claimed 4 days to recieve said part. I had a long day at work today. So I didnt call back. I am going to try to call Cadillac customer service tonight see what they say. I say in this age 4 days they should be able to build a new car in 4 days.

I think I am going to test drive a BMW tomorow. I hear a 335 is nice!

Thanks for listening guys. It has been very therapeutic.

----------

So I called GM customer service. I spoke to Cathleen (in case any one from cadillac cares) Apparentally there is no differentiation between cadillac and gm here in canada. So only US Cadillac owners get preferential treetment. They took my information and said they will call me back after 2 tomorow. I let her know I will be at the BMW dealer. She seemed robotic. I am going to my local BMW dealer in the morning.

Seriously... I don't know what the laws are in Canada but there is NO WAY IN HELL I would accept that answer. Give me a new car or give me my money back. They are not going to offer that, you have to DEMAND it or get a lawyer involved.

miguelius
06-21-13, 01:49 AM
What if the problem is simply one defective part? If they fix it with this part replacement and the car runs perfectly, then maybe all will be well. As distasteful as it is to have such a seemingly huge issue within 20 km, it does not mean anything about the quality of the rest of the car and does not signify that you will have anything else go wrong. My 2.0 turbo manual has run perfectly since I got it in January. I would wait until they get the part and fix the car before jumping to conclusions. I know it is agonizing and disappointing, but hang in there a bit longer . . .

donavo
06-21-13, 02:16 AM
seriously... I don't know what the laws are in canada but there is no way in hell i would accept that answer. Give me a new car or give me my money back. They are not going to offer that, you have to demand it or get a lawyer involved.

'murica fk yeah!

SLA
06-21-13, 09:06 AM
It could very well be something very easy. A detached or leaky vacuum line can absolutely wreak havoc with turbocharged cars and can cause the symptoms described in the first post.

If I pop an intercooler coupling off on my Legacy GT, the car will sputter to a complete stop.

flycaster
06-21-13, 04:49 PM

BMW cars are delivered in "delivery mode." As ATS has copied just about everything from BMW (except engine and transmission, that is), maybe our ATSs do have a "delivery mode?"

pissedoffwookiee
06-21-13, 08:12 PM
BMW cars are delivered in "delivery mode." As ATS has copied just about everything from BMW (except engine and transmission, that is), maybe our ATSs do have a "delivery mode?"

Your right Cadillac didn't copy BMW's transmission BMW bought Cadillacs :yup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L50_transmission

and the ATS does have a transportation mode earlier in this thread I posted instructions on how to enter/exit that mode.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/311002-sad-first-post-my-ats-having-post3553490.html#post3553490

Stevo Supremo
06-21-13, 11:31 PM
Still though, I dont think I woulda bought the car in the first place... I woulda asked for a new one.

bvardy
06-22-13, 10:47 AM
My dealers claim is there is no more of them here with a manual and cue.
I am actually looking up my local infinity dealer now. their g37 is about the same price and comes loaded and more power. maybee the ats was a bad idea from the get go.

oh well live and learn.

PS. Gregory I called the number you listed and they said they would look into it and never called me back. This is the perfect way to send another household to a competitor.

Stupid GM.

Hoosier Daddy
06-22-13, 11:02 AM
I am actually looking up my local infinity dealer now. their g37 is about the same price and comes loaded and more power. maybee the ats was a bad idea from the get go.

oh well live and learn.
For sure no car is right for everyone. I would not have bought an ATS if I was just looking for this size semi-luxury car.

Every car has its strong and weak points. You should buy the car who's strong points are what's most important to you.

The ATS' strong points are driving dynamics and styling (which is subjective). If you don't care about the dynamics or can't tell the night and day differences between the ATS and the G37, definitely buy the G37 or some other car.

Fraggy
06-22-13, 11:06 AM
Your right Cadillac didn't copy BMW's transmission BMW bought Cadillacs :yup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L50_transmission

Except it works wonderfully in the BMW, too bad GM didn't buy BMWs software.

pissedoffwookiee
06-22-13, 11:26 AM
Except it works wonderfully in the BMW, too bad GM didn't buy BMWs software.

lol.....touché

speaking of which i hear the tune fixes it

bvardy
06-22-13, 11:57 AM
For sure no car is right for everyone. I would not have bought an ATS if I was just looking for this size semi-luxury car.

Every car has its strong and weak points. You should buy the car who's strong points are what's most important to you.

The ATS' strong points are driving dynamics and styling (which is subjective). If you don't care about the dynamics or can't tell the night and day differences between the ATS and the G37, definitely buy the G37 or some other car.

Except driving dynamics get irrelevent when out of the 7 days i have owned the ATS I have drivin it 0. I have yet to drive a working manual. what good is a drivers car that doesnt run. and a service department thats incompetent. I love the concept of the ATS, I just wish the manufacture was not such a fail when it came to quality control and service.

The rental I have had this week is sure not a drivers car. Its a base buick verano auto with bluetooth disabled. It has bluetooth but I cannot connect it to a phone (when you select the menu item it claims unavaible.) I would rather drive my Cruze. at least it has XM and Bluetooth.

I feel like Cadillac is just like the rest of GM they care not for customers just profits and perceptions.

Cadillac care to chime in here with a defence?

No?

Right because you know it is sad but true!

Maybee a Hyundai Genesis Coupe?

----------

So I called Cadillac customer service again. The person I spoke to works only monday to friday and when I asked if there any updates in the system there were none. Clearly My CSR is bad at her job. The one I spoke to said it will be fixed under warrenty. and said there is nothing can do for you. I have never been so dissatisified with a company. I keep coping Cadillac will step up to the plate here but I geuss it is just not that type of a company.

Note to self.... never buy anything else from GM. You may just need their customer service someday!

Can you tell the attitude of the CSR has made me angry. Maybee testdriving a Japaneese sports sedan will calm me down.

Cadillac If you want to know how to loose a customer just read this thread!

RippyPartsDept
06-22-13, 12:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSqBBkEZKRc

rustybear3
06-22-13, 02:59 PM
Let me get this straight.....you drove the car...extreme loss of power and the engine light comes on.....and you still BOUGHT the car??? It could have been a BMW, Mercedes, whatever....I WOULD NEVER buy a car that had problems from the get go; no matter what a sales person would have told me. I feel your pain, but good God man....what were you thinking?? That being said, file under the "Lemon law" (I don't know if Canada has one) and get either another car or your money back.....:thumbsup:

stevenzoz
06-24-13, 10:43 PM

oh well live and learn.

PS. Gregory I called the number you listed and they said they would look into it and never called me back. This is the perfect way to send another household to a competitor.

Stupid GM.

GM is not gonna give you your money back. Best they'll do is replace the car with another Cadillac

bmbutler
06-26-13, 11:17 AM
I agree with RustyBear. You have to take some responsibility and not place it all on GM. Car had major problems on test drive and you still bought it?? Dealership rule 101 - never, ever, ever believe anything that comes out of a salesmen mouth!

"During my first drive I noticed that at any throttle above 5% the car had an extreme loss of power and the engine light came on. I returned to the dealer and informed my sales rep that there was something wrong with the car. He stated that it was still in delivery mode and therefore had the power disabled. He assured me that this would be rectified during PDI.

I continued with the purchase of the car and took delivery last night. My wife drove it home and complained that she prefered our cruze as it was smoother. I then drove it. There was some thing terribly wrong with it. It idled very rough and had no power at all and kept trying to stall. It felt to me as though it were only running on 2 maybee 3 cylinders."

bvardy
06-26-13, 09:47 PM
Note:

I agree I am a moron for ever letting the sale complete. It was a typical this is the only manual left in the province and we got it for you. I was excited to finally see a manual after weeks of searching. And I know How dare I trust a dealer when they tell me that the car is supposed to not have power until after PDI.

My second mistake was to not drive the car again before the sale finalized ( I have been working some long days and again I trusted the dealer.).

I agree I got caught with my guard down.

Note to Everyone ****** The Consensus is you must have a lawyer and a mechanic present when Buying a Cadillac! ******

Update:

I did pick up my Cadillac last night. No more service engine light. And no more stumbling at acceleration. It does have the idle tremble at 1500 RPM. Dealer says this is normal and I understand that is almost the norm from reading this forum.

So far I have owned my first Cadillac for 10 days and had in my possession for 1. I have learned that.

1. Don't trust your dealer.
2. Cadillac service is slower is slower than the second coming.
3. Rental gm kinda suck (when compared to my cadillac)
4. Cadillac customer service seems to have to purpose ( i still don't know what calling them was supposed to accomplish) They only took my info then were not available again until my problem was over.
5. My car is awesome when not idling.

This saga seems over for now. I will watch the forums to see if GM ever sorts out their idling issues. ( possibly when I feel like living without the car again I will try another dealer.

Thanks to those who listened to my rants. Even those who decided they should post and state it is all my fault for trusting Cadillac.

Hoosier Daddy
06-26-13, 10:29 PM
I'm glad your car is running well except for the idle.

But you are wrong that the rough idle is the norm. Mine has always been smooth. Every one of the 6 I test drove idled smoothly. But that doesn't mean smooth is normal any more than a few owners complaining in a forum mean rough is normal. You can't jump to a conclusion that it's normal because you see some threads. Few people are going to join a forum to post that their car doesn't have problems. And obviously not everyone with a problem will post in a forum. But even if only 1 out of 100 owners of ATS with rough idles post on the forums that would still make a rough idle unusual. You are right that some idle roughly, but have no reason to think that is the norm. You should ask the salesman why he never mentioned before the sale that all/most ATSs idle roughly. I would be interested if he has an answer that does not boil down to either: he didn't know (i.e wasn't true) or that you should not trust a salesperson to have your back.

It is human nature for a dealer or manufacturer rep to want you to believe a problem is normal if they don't know how to fix it or want to avoid the cost of fixing it.

donavo
06-26-13, 10:56 PM
This suggestion might be dumb but are you using premium? I only use premium or high octane and mine idles very smooth. 2.0t

bvardy
06-27-13, 01:10 PM
I haven't bought any fuel for it yet but I will be buying premium. Ill keep you all posted of the result.

Thanks aagain.

RippyPartsDept
06-27-13, 01:33 PM
i bet your dealer filled it up w/ 87 ....

Caddy Chris
06-27-13, 01:59 PM
You have a crappy dealer. They should have provided you a ATS loaner or at least another Cadillac. When ever my CTS has been in the shop for repair or service I am given a Cadillac of my choice. Last summer my front bumper had to be repainted and I asked for a Premium XTS and BOOM, I drove it for a week. Don't buy a Cadillac from a dealer that acts like a Chevy dealer.

bravnik
06-27-13, 03:15 PM
The probably have 89oct gas in the car. Run that tank completely out then put in Premium and see if the idle gets better.

Hoosier Daddy
06-27-13, 06:08 PM
i bet your dealer filled it up w/ 87 ....
Nah I disagree that it was FILLED with 87. A dealer who would put 87 in an ATS would just put in enough to get it to the nearest gas station. ;)

RippyPartsDept
06-27-13, 08:28 PM
I'm just thinking along the lines that they let the customer drive it in delivery mode or lied about it. That alone doesn't help garner any confidence.

miguelius
06-29-13, 02:35 AM
Sounds like Bvardy's saga that many of us have followed might have a happy ending after all. BTW, I have dealt with two dealers here in Colorado, the one I leased from in Boulder, and the one in downtown Denver who replaced a damaged tire and upgraded CUE. They have both made me feel pretty special to own a Cadillac. And my 2.0 turbo MT has performed and idles perfectly, so a rough idle is not normal. Bvardy, I am pleased that the fix worked for your new car. Maybe the rough spot at 1500 RPM will work itself out. Enjoy it, but note the break in procedure in the manual, which recommends no more than 4,000 RPM for the first 1,500 miles. Talk about resisting temptation! Wonder what the forum members think of that . . .:hmm:

thebigjimsho
07-02-13, 11:36 AM
My Cadillac dealer was awesome. They do everything well. To save costs, they use Enterprise. Sometimes I get a Caddy, sometimes not. I never really cared...