: Heater hoses

Jimbad
02-06-05, 10:05 PM
At the risk of making a total pest of myself I am asking the following: 1) should I replace my heater hoses (104,000 miles) even though I have no problems with them?
2) Where the heck are the heater hoses? I must be a dolt. I have the parts manual for my '93 ETC and it shows 5 or 6 formed hose sections but I'll be darned if I can locate them on the engine. Please help.
Thanks, Jim

BeelzeBob
02-07-05, 12:40 PM
After 12 years and over 100K the heater hoses are certainly on the list of items that don't owe you a dime and will need preventive maintenance sooner or later. I wouldn't rush to change them but if you plan on driving the car for a long time and respect the reliability potential of new hoses then they would be something to consider. If it were mine I would replace them at my own convenience...

There is a heater hose leaving the water crossover casting at the right rear of the engine toward the firewall....that is the heater feed. There is a hose leaving the pressurized surge tank toward the water pump inlet. The water pump inlet end of the hose is clearly visible if you look at the rear of the engine immediately behind the radiator in the center of the car....down low beside the large radiator hose. Tee'd into that hose from the surge tank to the water pump inlet cover is the heater return. They aren't that hard to see underhood.

There are a couple of short , green "heater hoses" on the engine connecting to the water crossover. Forget replacing those. The green hoses are a high temp, long life silicone hose (very $$$$) that will never need replacing. They are hard to get to and a real pain to replace so they are not a big temptation to rip out....that is why they are the high $$$$ silicone hose so they do not ever need replacing.

Jimbad
02-07-05, 09:49 PM
Thanks, Bbob,
For whatever reason I was having a hard time distiguishing those hoses, even though I had the exploded diagram in my parts book.
Jim