: Why doesn't the 2013 SRX come with the special USB iPod Cable?

austin
06-18-13, 09:22 PM
I just took delivery of a "brand new" 2013 Premium SRX.. It did not come with the special USB iPod Cable... I asked the dealer about it several times and he said the 2013 SRX does not come with one.. Is this true and if so, why not?

JChen
06-18-13, 10:39 PM
The Apple connectors are so ubiquitous by now that it's pretty much assumed that everyone has one (or multiple) cables laying around at home.

Is this really a point of contention for you?

austin
06-18-13, 11:15 PM
The Apple connectors are so ubiquitous by now that it's pretty much assumed that everyone has one (or multiple) cables laying around at home.

Is this really a point of contention for you?

I got one with my 2011 CTS-V which I use.. My girlfriend will be driving the SRX and is asking why there is no cable for her.. It is a special adapter cable with a USB and a 1/8" mini jack.

JChen
06-19-13, 12:11 AM
Go to Best Buy and get a 30-pin to USB connector for $5 or a 3.5mm cable for $3.

st4422
06-19-13, 01:29 AM
I just took delivery of a "brand new" 2013 Premium SRX.. It did not come with the special USB iPod Cable... I asked the dealer about it several times and he said the 2013 SRX does not come with one.. Is this true and if so, why not?

The special USB/audio to 30 pin connector cable is not required. CUE uses USB or Bluetooth to connect phones and iPods. Just use the 30 pin to USB that came with your iPod or iPhone.

300:29:1
06-19-13, 06:56 AM
I have noticed that with several different cars I've purchased new, getting the special OEM iPod cable can be tough. It seems that they often disappear from the vehicle and a new one has to be "found". I always make it plain at the time of the sale that I MUST have the cable on delivery. While it would seem that this cable may not be needed, it should come with the vehicle when new. I would pursue this if it was a 2012 model. I'm not sure how the '13 is configured. If it still has the jack with both audio and USB in the console to connect your iOS device than the cable should be provided by the dealer at no charge. Where's Cadillac Customer Service?

austin
06-19-13, 07:05 AM
I have noticed that with several different cars I've purchased new, getting the special OEM iPod cable can be tough. It seems that they often disappear from the vehicle and a new one has to be "found". I always make it plain at the time of the sale that I MUST have the cable on delivery. While it would seem that this cable may not be needed, it should come with the vehicle when new. I would pursue this if it was a 2012 model. I'm not sure how the '13 is configured. If it still has the jack with both audio and USB in the console to connect your iOS device than the cable should be provided by the dealer at no charge. Where's Cadillac Customer Service?

Good point, I would also like to know for sure from one of the cadillac reps on here if I was suppose to get the ipod cable or not when I took delivery of my new 2013 SRX. .And yes, I have a USB and 1/8" mini jack in center console, along with a SD Card slot.

JChen
06-19-13, 07:18 AM
What makes the OEM cable special compared to the cable that comes with your iPod/iPhone?

Still not seeing the big deal here...

austin
06-19-13, 07:56 AM
What makes the OEM cable special compared to the cable that comes with your iPod/iPhone?

Still not seeing the big deal here...

She has an iPod touch 3rd generation.. It does not have the newer style connector and no Bluetooth.. Only the Cadillac cable will work to charge and control it.

The ones that look the same on eBay have been known not to work.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/276209-where-buy-ipod-adapter.html

JChen
06-19-13, 08:11 AM
Heres what you can do... Take the 30-pin iPod connector that came with the 3rd gen iPod touch and plug it into the USB port in the center console. If your '13 has CUE, you can also plug it into the USB port behind the display.

I'm confident that you do not need a special cable to control the iPod from the steering wheel controls or head unit.

austin
06-19-13, 08:22 AM
Heres what you can do... Take the 30-pin iPod connector that came with the 3rd gen iPod touch and plug it into the USB port in the center console. If your '13 has CUE, you can also plug it into the USB port behind the display.

I'm confident that you do not need a special cable to control the iPod from the steering wheel controls or head unit.

Your way will only charge and control the iPod. You need the 1/8" to pass the audio. Have you seen the Cadillac cable or have a 3rd generation iPod. You would know what I'm talking about.

Huey Driver
06-19-13, 09:12 AM
I guess that what works for me, may not work for you, but I have no problems with a plain old apple cable. Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out.
I have a 3rd Gen IPod TOUCH (maybe the 'touch' part makes a diff) and I have no problem on a 2012 Lux (without Nav). Audio quality is better through USB than 1/8" anyway. Not sure how all the moving parts fall together, but I can control the ipod from steering controls, or the head, and all I have to do is press the aux input button until ipod comes up.
It just seems kinda strange that USB wouldnt work on a '13 without analog audio connection. Does the 2013 support mp3 on a thumbdrive?

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-19-13, 09:59 AM

Hello austin,

I am happy to answer this question for you. Can you please private message me and include your contact information, VIN and the dealership name and location?

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

austin
06-19-13, 10:22 AM
Hello austin,

I am happy to answer this question for you. Can you please private message me and include your contact information, VIN and the dealership name and location?

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Ok, Thank you.

JChen
06-19-13, 11:18 AM
I guess that what works for me, may not work for you, but I have no problems with a plain old apple cable. Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out.
I have a 3rd Gen IPod TOUCH (maybe the 'touch' part makes a diff) and I have no problem on a 2012 Lux (without Nav). Audio quality is better through USB than 1/8" anyway. Not sure how all the moving parts fall together, but I can control the ipod from steering controls, or the head, and all I have to do is press the aux input button until ipod comes up.
It just seems kinda strange that USB wouldnt work on a '13 without analog audio connection. Does the 2013 support mp3 on a thumbdrive?

OP said his girlfriend has a 3rd Gen iPod touch but his photo shows a iPod classic or iPod w/ video so I'm not sure but I agree that the Apple cable should work as advertised without doubling up with a 1/8 cable.

Maybe update the firmware on the iPod (touch)?

Not sure what else to say.

RippyPartsDept
06-19-13, 11:23 AM
so you have a 2013 SRX Premium... does it not have CUE?
and it does have the usb/headphone combo jack in the armrest?

Huey Driver
06-19-13, 02:06 PM
3rd Gen IPod Touch DOES have bluetooth.

st4422
06-19-13, 03:00 PM
Your way will only charge and control the iPod. You need the 1/8" to pass the audio...

This was true of the audio system in your 2011 CTS but not the 2013 SRX. Audio is passed to CUE through the 30 pin connector to USB cable. Be sure you have the dock connector selected for audio output on the iPod and iPod is selected for the media source on CUE.

austin
06-19-13, 09:43 PM
This was true of the audio system in your 2011 CTS but not the 2013 SRX. Audio is passed to CUE through the 30 pin connector to USB cable. Be sure you have the dock connector selected for audio output on the iPod and iPod is selected for the media source on CUE.

Ok, thanks I will check that setting.

JChen
06-21-13, 08:51 AM
Any update?

JChen
06-23-13, 12:51 AM
In this case, silence usually means the OP figured out that the special cord wasn't necessary and isn't in a hurry to report back.

06-23-13, 08:39 AM
In this case, silence usually means the OP figured out that the special cord wasn't necessary and isn't in a hurry to report back.

One thing about the OEM cable is the thick insulation. These cables can become subject to alot of heat in your vehicle. The standard white cable can literally melt.

JChen
06-23-13, 09:08 AM
One thing about the OEM cable is the thick insulation. These cables can become subject to alot of heat in your vehicle. The standard white cable can literally melt.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not...

06-23-13, 12:20 PM
I can't tell if you're being serious or not...

Absolutely serious. I got an aftermarket Pioneer radio in my other car. There's a Pioneer iPod cable that's quite pricey, and they offered me a generic cable instead at the installer. The cable I purchased is very long and very thick. I needed the length, as the Pioneer was very short. The OEM Cadillac iPod cable is ridiculously short. I've seen the same thick cables with dock connector and audio connector in BMW also. You can look up these cables online. YMMV

jeffpaletz
06-30-13, 10:55 PM
Likewise we have a 2013 SRX and the USB to Ipod connector that you use to connect your Ipod to your computer will work in the 2013 SRX. Audio is passed through the USB connector along with control signals. You can use the up arrow on the steering wheel to go to the next song or the back arrow to go to the beginning of the song or the previous song. There is no need to connect the 1/8" audio cable to the aux jack in the SRX.