: Jeffery G need your opinion

97Catera
02-06-05, 03:44 PM
Ok my catera isnt shifting gears and i had the code checked.The code was for shift solenoid A.That part is on back order for revisions the caddy tech told me they have had alot of problems with them.Now should i wait for the part or should i put a junkyard tranny in with 25K then maybe down the road have the same problem with the solenoid again.If i replace solenoid A i am going to do solenoid B as well.Please tell me what you would do.I see you are the Catera man on this forum.thanks Jay

Vesicant
02-06-05, 05:35 PM
Tough question...

How are you getting the solenoid out of the transmission in the Catera at the junkyard? Is it a pull it yourself deal or is it already out? If you did it there.. you would aquire the knowledge and then be able to do it on your own car just as easy.

Reliabillity wise... 25k isnt that much on that part, but if your worried id go for the new.

97Catera
02-07-05, 02:24 AM
i didnt mean take the solenoid out of the junkyard i meant swap the entire tranny,either the tranny or the new solenoid what would you do?

Vesicant
02-07-05, 04:06 PM
Its less work replacing a solenoid than replacing the whole transmission. How many miles does your catera have vs the transmission out of the other?

How fast do you need the vehicle to be up and running? If you can wait, go for the new part.

97Catera
02-07-05, 07:55 PM
my catera has 86k the transmission has 25k.the problem is they keep delaying the part it has been on back order for about 3-4 weeks now

Vesicant
02-07-05, 09:19 PM
id probably go for the transmission if its going to last this long.

all up to you though.

stevehogan
02-08-05, 12:47 PM
I'd order the part from gmpartsdirect.com - they usually take a week to 10 days for a special order part but they have good pricing.. Or if you really CAN'T wait, go to www.partsvoice.com (http://www.partsvoice.com) They have an online inventory of dealers that ACTUALLY HAVE the part in stock. You can contact the dealers directly, but be prepared to pay list price. :)

97Catera
02-10-05, 03:06 PM
steve thank you i located the part at a dealer called them and am in the process of having the part shipped to my local dealer. that www.partsvoice.com is the best