: STS at the Philly Auto Show

Katshot
02-06-05, 02:45 PM
Ok, as I said in another thread here, I went to the show today to help my father-in-law decide on a new car. This is what we saw.
Hands down, the MB AMG's were probably my favorites, with the new Lexus GS running a close second (of course I'm only talking cars under $100K). The LS 430 really impressed my father-in-law but, I think he'll probably go for the GS instead once he drives them. The interior of the Infiniti Q45 was really nice and had a REAL nice unique-looking seat. The VW Phaeton is much nicer in person than I expected and might just be a finalist in our hunt. Lincoln had no new product other than the new P/U truck, BORING :rolleyes: The Acura RL is a nice car with a pretty sharp interior too. We also looked at the Cadillacs but neither of us were impressed at all. They had a couple STS's and a couple V-cars. The one thing I liked the most in the Cadillac booth was the CTS-v in the new blue color. That IS new, isn't it? I like that color. The interior was just ugly IMO though. Damn shame. I love the car but just couldn't live with that interior. The STS they had to sit in had the Ebony interior w/wood grain kit (is that the ONLY color they take to shows?) and IMO, even with the wood grain, that's one dark, boring interior. I heard one guy mention that it reminded him of a hearse as he got out of it. My father-in-law didn't much care for the styling but his main gripe was that it seemed small to him. Maybe it was just the color, I don't know. I took some pictures of some cars and I'll post them later.

davesdeville
02-06-05, 06:19 PM
That's the one thing I really like about the Phaeton - It has a NAME.

evilrussian
02-06-05, 06:23 PM
That's the one thing I really like about the Phaeton - It has a NAME.
I agree... WTF is with all the abreviations CTS, STS, SRX, SLR e.t.c. What happened to giving cars names like Fleetwood, DeVille, Seville?

Ralph
02-06-05, 06:32 PM
I agree... WTF is with all the abreviations CTS, STS, SRX, SLR e.t.c. What happened to giving cars names like Fleetwood, DeVille, Seville?

We're trying to be more European for some stupid reason. Nevermind that Cadillac had a long-standing tradition of maintaining those names for over 50 years, now it's like Cadillac wants to join a fad that names aren't in vogue anymore. :helpless:

I don't think tradition should be thrown out the window to appear "cool" to younger buyers and to compete with the European/Japanese luxury cars. I'm sure the CTS would have sold just fine with the under 50 crowd if it was called by a name.

Cadillac should have been proud to use names like Fleetwood, Deville, etc. because that's how they are/were known.

majax
02-06-05, 06:46 PM
I think it is okay that they got rid of the old names but they should have replaced them with new real names. At least they have the name Escalade. The ULS car should have a name to.