: FINALLY! Snagged the 2013 MY style lower grill! (& a question for 2013 owners)

davedogcaddy
06-18-13, 10:21 AM
After much searching I finally tracked down the 2013 style lower grill for my 2010 SRX! I had messaged several eBay sellers who had sold kits with both the upper & lower, asking if they ever came across a *just* lower to let me know. One seller was nice enough to remember and about a month later, let me know he had one.

Since there is so much discussion about how to remove the front fascia (and since I have already done it once to swap out the upper grill), I'll probably make a how to video and post it here.

NOW, a question for the 2013 SRX owners:

The updated side vents - I know they have some sort of ambient lighting in them....is this tied to the parking lights? What about a turn signal indicator? Is it still built into the side vent somewhere? I'm thinking about updating my side vents but trying to see what would be involved.

Anybody purchase this yet? If you have I'd like to buy your original chrome ones (lol). Not sure how the black accent would look on a red car:
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/SRX/Exterior/Side%20Air%20Vent/?dealer_code=119110&makes=Cadillac&referringURL=www.olsencadillac.com
(http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/SRX/Exterior/Side%20Air%20Vent/?dealer_code=119110&makes=Cadillac&referringURL=www.olsencadillac.com)

TheCaptain
06-18-13, 08:19 PM
The side vents on '13's have two functions. The running lights in white 'light pipe' style, and a turn signal.
The '10-'12 only have turn signal functions, and are a 194 (small) bulb. I do not know how the '13 connects.

davedogcaddy
06-19-13, 10:35 AM
Thanks Captain!

so there is still a turn signal in the vent, it's just less obvious now I guess? What part blinks? Just curious. Since I already have power for the turn signal I guess it would just be a matter of running some power from the parking lights to run the light pipe. I would guess that the mounting of the vent hasn't changed....

anybody done this upgrade yet? Surely I'm not the 1st....

Marc NY
06-20-13, 09:49 PM
Thanks Captain!

so there is still a turn signal in the vent, it's just less obvious now I guess? What part blinks? Just curious. Since I already have power for the turn signal I guess it would just be a matter of running some power from the parking lights to run the light pipe. I would guess that the mounting of the vent hasn't changed....

anybody done this upgrade yet? Surely I'm not the 1st.... The LED lighting is some what less obvious when viewing it from the front of the SRX. The LED pipe light turns from white to amber when the signals are flashing as does the top part of the LED pipe that has a small circular LED bulb that flashes too in conjunction with the LED pipe lighting.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd198/MarcNY/DSC_7648.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd198/MarcNY/Turnsignal.jpg

davedogcaddy
06-21-13, 08:06 AM
wow, thanks Marc for that info! and those are GREAT pics! Just what I was looking for. Now, if the light pipe actually changes color when the turn signals are on this would mean it uses LEDs that change color when you reverse the polarity, which would make this a considerably harder mod to pull off. I was hoping to just re-use the power for the turn signal feature from the original vent, then run 12v from the parking lights to power the light pipe.

Do you think the pipe itself is changing colors, or it's just picking up the bright light from the amber turn signal LED that appears to be at the top?

I've got some requests out to some vendors that stock the GM accessory version of the new style vent for some pictures of the back, which if I can see how many connectors and/or wires it uses may help me figure out how doable this project is.

I'll keep you guys in the loop.

P.S. Got the 2013 MY style lower grill installed last night.....looks AWESOME! :D also.....nice wheels! :D :D :D

davedogcaddy
06-21-13, 03:08 PM
Just heard back from a vendor who kindly provided me with some pics of the dual-tone (chrome/black) GM accessory version of the the 2013 side vents, including a photo of the back. This is looking more complicated than I had hoped. I'm seeing a connector on the back with 6 pins. Could be two white LEDs for the light pipe (one at the top & one at the bottom), and one amber LED for the turn signal? But this raises more questions. Are the LEDs 12V? and do the light pipe ones always show white are they actually LEDs that change color polarity? I really want to make this work....but I'm starting to think it won't be a simple as I had hoped. If anyone can chime in and give me their opinion on if the light pipe lights actually change color or if it's just picking up light from the turn signal LED that would be helpful. Here are some pics of the accessory version.

http://i.imgur.com/j6Z0xja.png http://i.imgur.com/virMpGk.png http://i.imgur.com/x1eleFs.png

----------

Also, Captain - I recall you had a 2010 and that you had changed the bulbs in the side vents to LED....do you recall what the connector was like? was it just two wires? I'm assuming it is *nothing* like what is in the picture above?

TheCaptain
06-21-13, 04:03 PM
You are correct. The '10-'12's have a two wire to 194 T bulb socket that twists to lock into the vent. The new '13+'s look like they use a computer CANBUS based connector. Then the vehicle can tell if it burnt out or not.

davedogcaddy
06-21-13, 04:15 PM
You are correct. The '10-'12's have a two wire to 194 T bulb socket that twists to lock into the vent. The new '13+'s look like they use a computer CANBUS based connector. Then the vehicle can tell if it burnt out or not.

thank you for your info! Looks like the only way I could make this work would be to have a pin-out of the connector, and some technical specs on the LEDs (voltage, etc). I'm sure I could pull it off if I had that info, however I doubt it's documented anywhere for the end user to find, and I sure don't want to experiment on a brand new $400+ set. I guess for now I'll wait for them to show up in the bone yard/eBay unless I come across any tech specs.

davedogcaddy
06-22-13, 11:06 AM
Every now and then you run across an employee who is willing to go above and beyond what is required. Just heard back from the guy who sent me the pics yesterday:

I will contact one of my technicians today, and hopefully have an answer for you later on today. These do have a 6 pin connector where the 2010-2012 only has the 2 pin connector, let me see what I can find out for you.

TheCaptain
06-22-13, 11:41 AM
Right on!

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 08:11 AM
rep replied that his tech couldn't find any information on a way to adapt the new vent's wiring to the 2010-2012s. So I guess for now I will not be pursuing this mod until either someone else figures out the pinout/voltages, or until I find a cheap set of vents on eBay or in a junk yard.

RippyPartsDept
06-25-13, 09:50 AM
PM me your email address and i'll try and send some pdfs that might help

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 10:31 AM
PM sent! Thanks for your time!

RippyPartsDept
06-25-13, 10:51 AM
no problem

i just looked up the connector end view that shows the connector body and the pinouts for the connector so you can tell what goes where

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 12:19 PM
awesome! that helps, looks like by original assumption was correct, just needs power from the turn signal circuit, and power from the parking lights. 4 of the power leads are grounds! Do you have any documents that would tell you voltages? Thanks again, if I can get this worked out in my head I may just order a set from you!

RippyPartsDept
06-25-13, 12:52 PM
i do not have that info... i'm not really sure where it would be in the service manual ... the wiring diagram maybe?

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 12:56 PM
sounds plausible. Most LEDs that I've seen, the bulb itself is not 12v, so I'm not sure if the conversion from 12v is done in the vent itself (which would be awesome), or if the voltage is lowered somewhere else in the car and is already lower by the time it gets to the vent.

Who wants to go out to their 2013 with a multimeter! :)

RippyPartsDept
06-25-13, 12:56 PM
sent you another email

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 01:09 PM
OK, if I'm looking at the wiring diagram right, I DO NOT see a step down in voltage, it appears the vents use the same voltage as the front turn signal lamps.....are the 2013s still using conventional incandescent 12v bulbs? I'm guessing the parking lamp circuit will be setup the same. If the vents really do just get two 12v power inputs, this should be an easy conversion. Even easier if dealers sell the plug.

RippyPartsDept
06-25-13, 01:15 PM
Ok so if you get this figured out there's two options for you

first is the factory fender repeater lamps
$282.82 for the set

second is the accessory alternative version chrome lamps
$371.88 for the set

(prices are before shipping, of course)

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 01:21 PM
Thanks rippy! You have the best prices I've seen so far, and I think I like the factory ones better. Let me research this a bit more and I'll let you know for sure soon. Do you show a price for the connector ( OEM Connector: 13629704)?

RippyPartsDept
06-25-13, 01:23 PM
the parts catalog does not break down the lamp assembly to show what bulbs are inside

so that's a bit of a black box to me

also you are correct... getting that plug is not going to be easy

the part number is right there in the first email i sent you but that will be without terminals

you will have to get the terminals also and wire and build that connector pigtail on your own (not fun... even my guys hate to do it)

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 01:26 PM
also, can anyone with a 2013 confirm that the front turn signal lamps are just regular 12v bulbs (like in they are in my 2010)? They haven't switched them to LED or anything right?

RippyPartsDept
06-25-13, 01:29 PM
ooooooh

getting the connector is going to be tough right now

notice that part number you gave me is listed on that document as the "OEM connector"
and right under that line is the "Service connector" that says it is "pending"

that service connector is the part number that we could order ... the OEM part number is not available to dealers
it's only used internally and by the suppliers when building the body harness

the other option that you have is to straight wire it and forget about the connector ... at least until a connector becomes available

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 01:34 PM
the parts catalog does not break down the lamp assembly to show what bulbs are inside

so that's a bit of a black box to me

also you are correct... getting that plug is not going to be easy

the part number is right there in the first email i sent you but that will be without terminals

you will have to get the terminals also and wire and build that connector pigtail on your own (not fun... even my guys hate to do it)

that's what I figured - just a plug with no wires/terminals....which means I'd need terminals and some special too too. I could probably build my own 'solution' to this.....wouldn't be pretty, but I'm guessing the crimping tool isn't cheap. Do you show prices for the plugs/terminals/tool?

----------

I've got access to from panel headers for computer motherboards, which I've used in the past to make my own plugs out of. If the pins on the vents are the right size it should be easy to make my own plug. Otherwise solder & heat-shrink tubing, and some hot glue will suffice. :)

Thanks again Rippy, you've been a HUGE help, and as soon as I get some confirmation on the voltage of the circuit chances are you will get a call from me. Let me do a bit more research on the voltages....

RippyPartsDept
06-25-13, 02:02 PM
the terminals are not sold as GM parts (we don't even get them from GM)

we get them from the special service tool company and our parts department doesn't stock them
the service department has a stack of trays for them (that's how they're organized - by tray)

some dealers have their parts department stock the terminals and will sell them but we don't

you can often find the terminals online by searching the terminal part number (they're pretty unique)

as for any kind of tool for crimping ... i'm not really sure about that ... i figure that it's kind of a standard tool ... nothing GM specific

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 02:22 PM
yeah, I'm just gonna make my own plug.

Let me check two things, I'm going to pull back the wheel well liner and double check on how it's mounted to make sure that hasn't changed, and try to figure out what the front turn signal bulb voltages are, and then I will probably order these from you.

TheCaptain
06-25-13, 09:12 PM
Yea dave, the '13's use incandescent in the front and rear signals. (Cheap Cadillac :tisk:)

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the confirmation Captain! I had several people check my work on the schematic and the new LED vents are on the same circuit as the rest of the signals. That pretty much seals the deal, the whole circuit is 12v then.

Chris, I need one more wiring diagram and/or pinout. Passenger side (right) headlight - HID model. I need to find out which color runs the parking lamp. This harness will be an EASY point to pick up power since I can pop the hood and see the connector for the headlight assembly.

I pulled the passenger side wheel liner tonight, and it was VERY easy to remove the vent assembly. Just squeeze two clips (orange, top & bottom) and it pops right off. I've included pictures for reference of the back & mounting of the original 2010-2012 style vent:

http://i.imgur.com/cre0W24.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/T0rxAx7.jpg

RippyPartsDept
06-26-13, 10:31 AM
emailing you now

there's not one single schematic for the headlamp
it's broken down into circuits
low beam
drl
high beam
leveling system
etc

i sent the low beam and the drl schematics
let me know if what you need isn't there

davedogcaddy
06-26-13, 10:49 AM
yeah, it's not listed there. I'm looking for the parking lights circuit (which is the LED light tubs on the headlights & tail lights). I'm going to call you shortly about ordering those vents.

RippyPartsDept
06-26-13, 11:11 AM
i sent the park lights circuit schematic

davedogcaddy
06-26-13, 11:52 AM
thanks Chris, that's what I needed. Is that for the 2010 SRX?

RippyPartsDept
06-26-13, 11:56 AM
that's for the 2013 ... do you need one for 2010?

davedogcaddy
06-26-13, 11:58 AM
my bad, yes, for this diagram I need the 2010 - since mine is a 2010 and I need to figure out where the parking light wire is. I should have said that.....sorry....

RippyPartsDept
06-26-13, 12:57 PM
ok, another one coming your way

davedogcaddy
06-26-13, 10:39 PM
Chris,

I never got the 2010 parking light diagram via email - HOWEVER, don't worry about it. Looks like they have not changed anything....I used your 2013 diagram and was able to find the parking light circuit on the wiring harness going to the passenger side (right) headlight. It is a dark brown wire with a grey stripe. This means it will be very easy to tie into this circuit as you just pop the hood, and look down directly beside the right headlight and there is the harness. Very short distance from there to each side vent. I will probably just pull the power for both sides from there since it's very hard to get to the harness for the left headlight.

Also, I can confirm that even though all the parking lights on the SRX are LED, they run at 12v (checked the Brown/Grey wire to ground with my multi-meter, 12v when I turn on the parking light switch). This means we now know that both the light pipe and the turn signal LED in the 2013 side vents are 12v.

Chris was very helpful and we got the new vents on order this morning. This will be a fun little project, I will keep you guys posted on the progress. I would say at this point the hardest part will be to come up with a way to tie the wires into the back of the new vent. Probably will involve some soldering, heat-shrink tubing, and some hot glue for weather-proofing.

RippyPartsDept
06-27-13, 01:09 PM
cool... i'm excited for you to get this mod/upfit competed ... make sure to take pictures to document the process

davedogcaddy
06-27-13, 01:43 PM
I plan on documenting it, I'll share the pics here. I think I will also add an in-line fuse to the parking light wire I'm adding, right after where I tie into the factory harness, just in case. Anyone have any opinion on a rating for that fuse? It will only be powering two LED light pipes, but I just want to ensure that if the wire I add were to ever get damaged somehow that I wouldn't hurt anything in the car.

TheCaptain
06-28-13, 01:07 AM
I'll pop this baby into the DIY thread too once you're done Dave! Can't wait to see it!

davedogcaddy
06-28-13, 07:57 AM
Thanks Captian!

Fedex is showing the new vents will arrive today (thanks to Chris/Rippy)! I ran out and picked up all kinds of goodies; 18 gauge wire, heat-shrink, splice connectors, etc. In talking to some people I think I was over-thinking the extra fuse. If there ever were a short the fuse built into the car for that circuit would suffice. So I think I've talked myself out of the in-line fuse.

davedogcaddy
06-28-13, 04:12 PM
Got the new vents in. I have a motherboard header that fits perfectly over the pins so building the plug will be easy. Here's where I'm stuck at:

Vent Has 6 pins. Two rows of 3 pins.

Pin 1 is turn signal power
Pin 2 is parking light power
Pin 3 is ground
Pin 4 is ground
Pin 5 is ground
Pin 6 is ground

I can apply 12v to pins 2 & 5 and get the parking light to light up.
No combination that I can figure out will make the turn signal LED light up. (should be pins 1 & 4)

Any ideas?

davedogcaddy
06-28-13, 11:23 PM
Good news! I figured out the wiring. I'll explain in detail (which pictures) later, but I have the turn signal & parking lights on the new vents figured out and working. I've also got a perfect solution for the new plug (pictures coming soon).

BAD NEWS: Apparently GM slightly changed the mounting holes on the new vent. This will probably be a show-stopper for many wanting to do this mod. I've got a very good friend who does body work for a living telling me it's not a big deal, and he can make the necessary changes in under an hour. And he'll do it for free. Now I'm just trying to convince myself to continue on with this. Don't like the idea of having to modify the body panel (even if it is just drilling a hole, and making another hole bigger....and nobody will ever know since it's behind the vent).

I made a rough template of the new vent so you can see what would be involved. The bottom two mounting holes line up perfect, as does one on the top. So a new hole (the top one) would have to be drilled in the top, and the big hole in the middle would have to be made bigger:

http://i.imgur.com/v30iXCwl.jpg

Guess I'll sleep on it.

RippyPartsDept
06-29-13, 01:19 AM
Thanks for pioneering this. Even if it looks like not many other people will be able to follow your lead. Somebody has to try.

davedogcaddy
06-29-13, 08:48 AM
After a good night's sleep I am leaning towards following through with this. Actually, the template really helped me visualize how little work it really is. If I didn't already have a good body guy I could just about do it myself. And all the mods would still be hidden by the original vent should you ever need to go back for some reason.

Now, one bit of information on how the two LEDs operate in the new vent;

If you have the LED light pipe powered on via the parking light circuit it is white. When you apply power to the turn signal circuit a bright amber LED at the top of the pipe lights, and the light pipe changes from white to amber (actually it shuts off the white light and turns on an amber one). I simulated the pulsing of the turn signals, and the light pipe stays off (no white light) between flashes. After you leave power off the turn signal circuit for about 5 seconds the light pipe automatically turns back on, white! So there is quite a bit of electronics going on inside that new vent. The good news is all you need is the plain old 12v from the parking light circuit, and the plain old 12v from the turn signal circuit. The vent takes care of the rest internally. Also, those two circuits share the same ground pin on the back of the vent. The other three 'grounds' are not used. So in reality you only need three wires coming off the new vent. I will provide better details, pins-outs, pics, etc once I finish. I'm going to complete the wiring tonight....Should be getting the 'body work' done tomorrow sometime.

TheCaptain
06-29-13, 11:28 AM
Good job Dave. I was looking at doing this to my '10 before I decided to sell and upgrade.

davedogcaddy
06-29-13, 12:28 PM
Good job Dave. I was looking at doing this to my '10 before I decided to sell and upgrade.

Thanks! I'm actually glad to hear that I'm not the only one crazy enough to consider this! ;)

davedogcaddy
06-30-13, 02:01 PM
Good news! The vent upgrade was a success and is now completed! They are fully functional and look factory. I'm going to work on compiling notes, schematics, and pictures and will report back here soon!

davedogcaddy
06-30-13, 09:10 PM
hope it's OK, but I started a new thread with the how-to since this thread has gotten so long: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/318929-diy-how-upgrade-your-2010-2012-a.html#post3634609

TheCaptain
07-01-13, 01:22 PM
No, that's perfect in this case. Much cleaner and more logical.