: Radiator

overplayed
06-17-13, 10:23 PM
Has anyone used and aftermarket radiator? They are like $100 on ebay. Dont know if I should go with that or get one from junk yard.

Jeff

JohnJJO
06-18-13, 03:56 AM
Well I would recommend u to get Vista-Pro of rockauto or eBay. It will work just fine. I personally went to junk yard and took radiator from there for like $45. It was a year ago and sill work. Only one reason why I did it, cuz wanted to learn how to replace it and not to brake something on my Catera. + I saved half of price. Your radiator have upper and lower thermal sensor. It's hard to replace them when its there . I personally will recommend u to spend little more money and get new sensors as well when u will replacing your radiator.

investor74
06-18-13, 08:15 AM
I put in an aftermarket radiator about five years ago and no problems. Mine was bout $140 incl shipping. With the junkyard radiator, you have no idea if it is any good. The main failure point in these radiators is that a crack develops in the plastic end tank where the hot water hose is connected on the drivers side. Without pressurizing it, it's hard to tell if it is cracked.

IvoryWhiteCatera
06-18-13, 03:29 PM
Just did my radiator. Ordered it from ebay for $80. Works like a dream. I have that check engine light for the heater circuit, though.

overplayed
06-19-13, 08:01 AM
I put in an aftermarket radiator about five years ago and no problems. Mine was bout $140 incl shipping. With the junkyard radiator, you have no idea if it is any good. The main failure point in these radiators is that a crack develops in the plastic end tank where the hot water hose is connected on the drivers side. Without pressurizing it, it's hard to tell if it is cracked.

Yea, thats where my leak is coming from. I used to have to top it off every six months. Now I need to top it off every day or so.

----------

How hard is it to replace at home?

waco-brian
06-19-13, 12:44 PM
Igot one from ebay couple years ago.lifetime warranty can't remember the vendor but was good deal. If you know what your doing its not to hard to change. Remove air delivery system then the fans tnen trans lines at rubber then radiator hosesThen sensors on driver side.the bottom one is a pain to get to. The water pump right on top gave me a fit. 2 clips on top couple srews I think to ac stuff.

IvoryWhiteCatera
06-19-13, 05:09 PM
Yea, thats where my leak is coming from. I used to have to top it off every six months. Now I need to top it off every day or so.

----------

Same thing with me. I wasted so much money on coolant. The job is pretty easy. I took the radiator out before ordering it so the job was half done. Putting it in only took an hour or so. Just remember that the radiator fan comes out with the radiator. Then you unbolt the fan from the old radiator. And remember to unplug all the sensors or you'll just snag them.

waco-brian
06-19-13, 06:05 PM
Yes you are right the fans do come out with it. Thanks for the correction.

investor74
06-19-13, 10:23 PM

----------

I think it is much easier with a helper - pretty heavy and one guy can hold it while the other works the bolts from below.

One "lesson learned" from me. There is a emissions control valve attached to a bracket on the radiator that has nothing to do with the cooling system, they just found it easy to mount it there when the converted the Opel Omega to meet US emission standards. The valve is plastic with two air hoses and a vacuum line. It is extremely fragile and easy to break and you wind up rushing to the Cadillac dealer and paying list price for it that is more than the radiator. :helpless:

IvoryWhiteCatera
06-20-13, 04:23 PM
Wrong thread. Sorry.