: 97 - Oil Pressure dropping at idle - please help!

djgloobie
02-05-05, 10:04 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experienced a problem with their oil pressure dropping when the car is stopped (at a stop light or any time the car is running at idle). Normally when I drive it, the oil pressure increases with increasing RPM (from very low to very high - which is odd in itself), but now, when I stop (after driving about 10 miles), the oil pressure drops below 'L' and the light comes on. There is plenty of oil in the car. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help. Thanks.

The bain of my existence (is the Catera),

Mike :banghead:

Vesicant
02-06-05, 12:48 PM
Could be the oil pump.. even the oil cooler.

Whens the last time youve had the oil changed?

djgloobie
02-06-05, 05:49 PM
It has been about exactly 3 months (but, only 1200 miles)...I am going to have it changed soon, with a more viscous oil. Any other hints? Also, what is the cost associated with fixing the oil cooler or pump, respectively?

Thanks for all of your help,

Mike

Vesicant
02-06-05, 07:46 PM
Well, it could be either the cooler or the pump.. and what I forgot to say.. was a spun engine bearing could do it as well.

The oil cooler is underneath the intake plenum sitting in the engine valley and is circulated by the coolant. It requires removing the plenum, part of the upper intake to get to it. If it were leaking as well, you would see discoloration of the coolant or a white milky substance in the oil filler valley. Check these. The oil pump is at the front of the engine.. see these threads for more info. Price for the oil pump is $241 at Http://www.cadillac-parts-dealer.com and for the cooler is $419. Im guessing its probably the oil pump though.

There have been other members with this problem of yours, one of which was cured by different weight oil - what you want to do as well:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21948&highlight=oil+pump
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27383&highlight=oil+pump (note, for 97 cateras theres a seperate site on there)

Marino
02-20-05, 08:34 PM
I have a 98 Catera. The engine has blown because of the bearing and GM paid for the repairs they wanted. But after the repair, the engine oil flucuated as yours does ( high and low to red zone). I asked the dealer but he pretends he can't see it. So I took pictures. The have no idea. The oil cooler has been replaced but was still leaking fluid when the gaskets started leaking. I am replacing the leaking radiator this week and will let you know if that solves the problem. The dealer seems to think it has somthing to do with the cooling/oil system not being intact.

omermurat
03-13-05, 06:12 PM
I have a 97 Catera & I had the same problem. Instead of going through costly repairs I found another solution to that and it's been working just fine. It even cured my overheating problem. I just added an oil cooler. Just a little modification neded to the adaptor and there are enought space to route the hoses around. I also got rid of the cold air induction assembly and installed the oil radiator in front of the original radiator just behind the grille. Costed me $50 and afew hours and I haven't seen that annoying red light for more than a year.

APatterson
03-14-05, 12:11 AM
I Have A 98 Catera and i experience the increasing oil pressure with higher RPM's.. I think that part is totally normal. at least, mine has always did that and ive yet to see problems. but when i idle it doesnt drop below the red line.