: replace with audiobahn?

chuckdobbins
02-05-05, 03:08 PM
so yep, my shivas are definitely done. i got my moneys worth outta them though. 200 bucks for the pair.

im looking to replace now. i found a pair of new DVC audiobahns on ebay for 50 bucks, 80 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5748710509&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

ive never even heard audiobahns in action. ive heard only good things about them though. i would be wiring them for 2ohm operation to a JBL 600.1

so any opinions? 80 bucks for a pair of 12's sounds almost too good to be true. but im poor so this might be the deal for me.

D148L0
02-06-05, 02:14 PM
If you want boom, you will get plenty. Good price, really.
30 for shipping :hmm:

The important thing is that they are DVC @ 4 ohms each, that means you can't wire them to a 2 ohm load. You can wire them at either 8 or 1 ohm.

The good news is that the JBL 600.1 is 1 ohm stable, so you can still use the combo you have in mind.
If you need help for wiring them, let me know.

ja killz
02-06-05, 03:07 PM
those arent audiobahns best sub... personally ive had great success with infinitys. Since youve already experienced subs, you probly also know never to buy on a budget cause you wont be happy. AKA 50 buck audiobahns. If i were you id save for a little higher priced. In the case of subs, MOST of the time the more the spend, the better and louder sound your gonna get. and since you ARE poor.. (haha jk) go for 10s and get 50 buck tens or get one nicer 12... trust me 100 for 2 12s like you said .. sounds too good to be true. Those subs probly dont sound THAT good. Remember though its not only the subs, you gotta have a descent box to get any thud at all. You had a nice amp, just set it to a lower frequency to only recieve the low hits, dont do it the other way.. higher frequencies. Subs just spew out noise and even voice when above like 100 hz

D148L0
02-06-05, 03:56 PM
those arent audiobahns best sub... personally ive had great success with infinitys. Since youve already experienced subs, you probly also know never to buy on a budget cause you wont be happy. AKA 50 buck audiobahns. If i were you id save for a little higher priced. In the case of subs, MOST of the time the more the spend, the better and louder sound your gonna get. and since you ARE poor.. (haha jk) go for 10s and get 50 buck tens or get one nicer 12... trust me 100 for 2 12s like you said .. sounds too good to be true. Those subs probly dont sound THAT good. Remember though its not only the subs, you gotta have a descent box to get any thud at all.
Not fair. Infinity is better by far, but out of the price range. Audiobahn subs are loud, that is why a lot of buyers are satisfied with them. I still think he would like them. The best test is to go to a store and listen to subs, anyway...
On the other hand, I agree: I would get a single one of better quality, or save more money. In this case, the price is really good.

You had a nice amp, just set it to a lower frequency to only recieve the low hits, dont do it the other way.. higher frequencies. Subs just spew out noise and even voice when above like 100 hz
I wouldn't recommend that. If you use a tone test CD, you will notice that subs will perform very good with even double that frecuency.
With the exception of bass-dedicated recordings, most real life music (including rap, hip-hop and similars) uses frecs only as low as around 60 Hz. Setting your xover at 100 hz will prevent you from getting all you can from the subs.

chuckdobbins
02-07-05, 12:56 PM
i already have two 12s and a 10. the 12s are shivas, and the 10 is an infinity. im replacing the 12s cuz theyve had it...so im buying two new 12s.

i just want something thats loud when i want it to be. and for under 100 bucks i really dont think i can go wrong.

30 bucks shipping sucks i know...but they gotta make money somehow.

ja killz
02-07-05, 04:07 PM
I do listen to rap... so im into the low frequency IMO and this sub is rated at 50 hz so.. meh i guess its all about preference and money too :)

chuckdobbins
02-07-05, 11:40 PM
i dont listen to much rap, not much at all.

im not gonna be wiring these subs together. the amp has a pair of +/- outputs so i wire them seperate. im pretty sure the way i do it yields a 2 ohm impedance.

on each shiva, i wired the + from one side to the + on the other side. then the - on one side to the - on the other. then took the +/- from one side and wired that into the amp.

i drew a quick picture, it might help to show how i wire each subwoofer.

sts15l7
02-08-05, 02:16 AM
chuck

in addition to this forum, my other most favorite forum is that of subwoofers (splbassx.com). being a member of that forum for quite a while now, i learned that audiobahn subs are far from good. i mean for that price, of course that is definitely not bad. but im just trying to let u know that compared to ur shivas, i wouldnt expect to even compare the two. they probably would be good subs, but dont expect them to give u the same output as the shivas.

i hope i didnt sound like an ******* :hmm: i woulda just hated it to c u have ur hopes high and then c them crushed...

-mir

davesdeville
02-08-05, 02:35 AM
Those are the el-cheapo Audiobahns anyway. The better ones will have a uniform cone texture instead of the wavy looking stuff those have.

D148L0
02-08-05, 11:04 AM
chuck

in addition to this forum, my other most favorite forum is that of subwoofers (splbassx.com). being a member of that forum for quite a while now, i learned that audiobahn subs are far from good. i mean for that price, of course that is definitely not bad. but im just trying to let u know that compared to ur shivas, i wouldnt expect to even compare the two. they probably would be good subs, but dont expect them to give u the same output as the shivas.

i hope i didnt sound like an ******* :hmm: i woulda just hated it to c u have ur hopes high and then c them crushed...

-mir
Don't worry. I have posted exactly the same opinion as yours a lot of times before.