: 00 - 03 Seville questions:

Max2001
09-20-03, 07:17 PM
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this site & am looking to purchase an 00 - 03 Seville (SLS or STS I'm not totally sure yet) and looking for some help with the following questions, here goes:

- Does the 00 - 03 Seville come factory equipped with a front strut tower bar? (or is one available in the aftermarket?)

- What are some things I should be aware of when purchasing used? IE: mechanical problems, electrical woe's, recalls etc? (keep in mind I will be purchasing the vehicle still under factory warrenty, with service history & most likely getting an extended warrenty on the car as well cause let's face it.....she's a Caddy & parts aren' cheap

- I've heard that if the vehicle has a serious oil leak, it can take up to 24 hours of labout to repair cause of taking apart half the engine to get to it.....is this true?

- Is the vehicle easy to service? ie: spark plugs easy to replace, PCV valve, fuel filter etc?

- What kind of replacement spark plugs should I consider & why? IE:
factory platinum, NGK iridium, Bosch + 4's etc.

- Are factory H.I.D. headlights expensive to replace if they burn out? & how much?

- Is regular (87 octane) gasoline or premium suggested?

- Does the Northstar engine have a history of burning oil & should I use synthetic like Mobil 1?

- Any other help, suggestions not mentioned here if you would like to tell me would be of great help! Thanks to all of you in advance for your advice & opnions!

Last

jonrodman
09-25-03, 10:27 PM
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this site & am looking to purchase an 00 - 03 Seville (SLS or STS I'm not totally sure yet) and looking for some help with the following questions, here goes:

- Does the 00 - 03 Seville come factory equipped with a front strut tower bar? (or is one available in the aftermarket?)

- What are some things I should be aware of when purchasing used? IE: mechanical problems, electrical woe's, recalls etc? (keep in mind I will be purchasing the vehicle still under factory warrenty, with service history & most likely getting an extended warrenty on the car as well cause let's face it.....she's a Caddy & parts aren' cheap

- I've heard that if the vehicle has a serious oil leak, it can take up to 24 hours of labout to repair cause of taking apart half the engine to get to it.....is this true?

- Is the vehicle easy to service? ie: spark plugs easy to replace, PCV valve, fuel filter etc?

- What kind of replacement spark plugs should I consider & why? IE:
factory platinum, NGK iridium, Bosch + 4's etc.

- Are factory H.I.D. headlights expensive to replace if they burn out? & how much?

- Is regular (87 octane) gasoline or premium suggested?

- Does the Northstar engine have a history of burning oil & should I use synthetic like Mobil 1?

- Any other help, suggestions not mentioned here if you would like to tell me would be of great help! Thanks to all of you in advance for your advice & opnions!

Last

Hi,
My advice is to buy the nicest one you can afford. Use the best oil and filter. I would forget about the spark plugs. It will be a very long time before you will need to think about them.
These cars may be expensive to service if you take them to the dealer. There are tons of used parts available on the web. Brakes, tires and filters are available aftermarket. If you have a good mechanic you don't have anything to worry about.

Many of these cars go more than 200000 miles. They are fast, efficient, comfortable and have exceptional handling. These cars are great for commuting, and for long trips. If you live in the north, get the heated seats. If you live in the south, get a light colored one.

The STS has 3.73 gear ratios and the SLS has something lower. The STS's have two computer versions. They can be recognized by looking at the drivers door. If it specifies H rated tires, it is probably speed limited to 130 mph, if it specifies V rated tires it is probably limited to 150 mph. The SLS is limited to 112 mph. They are all terriffic cars.

Happy Hunting,
Jon

I don't know anyone who owns one who is unhappy.

Max2001
09-25-03, 11:46 PM
Hi,
My advice is to buy the nicest one you can afford. Use the best oil and filter. I would forget about the spark plugs. It will be a very long time before you will need to think about them.
These cars may be expensive to service if you take them to the dealer. There are tons of used parts available on the web. Brakes, tires and filters are available aftermarket. If you have a good mechanic you don't have anything to worry about.

Many of these cars go more than 200000 miles. They are fast, efficient, comfortable and have exceptional handling. These cars are great for commuting, and for long trips. If you live in the north, get the heated seats. If you live in the south, get a light colored one.

The STS has 3.73 gear ratios and the SLS has something lower. The STS's have two computer versions. They can be recognized by looking at the drivers door. If it specifies H rated tires, it is probably speed limited to 130 mph, if it specifies V rated tires it is probably limited to 150 mph. The SLS is limited to 112 mph. They are all terriffic cars.

Happy Hunting,
Jon

I don't know anyone who owns one who is unhappy.

Many thanks for your advice! It's greatly appreciated :) I'm looking for the STS in Pearl White with the factory moonroof, HID headlights, the whole 9 yards!! I asked about the spark plugs simply because at some point I will have to replace them, & was just courious what brand current STS owners put in as a replacement. Thanks again!

jonrodman
09-26-03, 01:13 AM
Many thanks for your advice! It's greatly appreciated :) I'm looking for the STS in Pearl White with the factory moonroof, HID headlights, the whole 9 yards!! I asked about the spark plugs simply because at some point I will have to replace them, & was just courious what brand current STS owners put in as a replacement. Thanks again!

You will find a whole bunch of Sevilles on ebay and autotrader.com. More on autotrader.com. I bought a Grey 96 STS on ebay a couple weeks ago. There are always some on ebay, but there are usually 40 or more listed on Autotrader.com.

airbalancer
09-26-03, 06:40 PM
since you are from Toronto
I would think the best choice would email some dealers to see if someone is trading one in
I got 99sts with 90k km ,a couple weeks ago from a dealer and put a gm 2 yr warrenty on it.
ebay.ca and autotrade.ca do not have a lot of sts listed
go luck

airbalancer
09-27-03, 09:20 AM
try http://usedcars.autonet.ca/ thet have sts list in Ontario