: 87 brougham rear bumper install

outsider
06-17-13, 09:48 AM
Hey,
Does anyone know what the gapping on the rear bumper tail light housings to the tail light fillers should be?

I'm having a real tough time getting mine lined up properly. Seems like the passenger side lines up ok but then the driver's side sticks out a ways. Any ideas or tips on lining it up? I did try tapping in the bumper pistons with a hammer but didnt' want to push it in too far (although I do have a spare set on the parts car)

Thanks for any advice.

cadillac_al
06-17-13, 05:34 PM
There is usually shims on one side or the other. I usually line them up to where they look good to me.

outsider
06-17-13, 05:54 PM
Yeah I've tried shimming it quite a bit on the one side that lines up good and 0 shims on the side that's out too far and it still won't line up...

I'll keep playing with it. If worse comes to worse I'll just take the pistons from the parts car and swap em over, see how that lines up.

cadillac_al
06-17-13, 10:14 PM
At least you have spares. I wonder if one of yours got pushed in (accident) at some time?

talismandave
06-17-13, 10:34 PM
Did you measure the two pistons? If one is in I would think hitting the "in" one out would be better than the "out" one in. :noidea:

cadillac kevin
06-18-13, 12:52 AM
I'm betting either one of the pistons is messed up or your bumper is racked (if the gaps at top and bottom are different)

csbuckn
06-18-13, 02:44 AM
If it were me, I'd keep hammering the out piston in because I'm lazy.

talismandave
06-18-13, 03:29 AM
If it were me, I'd keep hammering the out piston in because I'm lazy.

Added bonus, hammer them in far enough and you can do away with the PITA fillers!:histeric:

outsider
06-18-13, 09:58 AM
haha. Well the good news is that my fillers (originals) are still in good shape and pretty pliable.

I didn't have time to work on it last night and my phone is still dead (A snorkeling accident on my vacation to hawaii) so I can't get pictures. New phone should be in tomorrow so I'll try to get some pics.

I did measure the pistons and they were off a bit. Maybe enough to cause problems. my old bumper was never perfectly lined up to begin with so I'm going to swap out the pistons for the spares on the parts car and see what that gets me.

Thanks guys :)