Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Stuck Distributor

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MrEightball 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I went to check/adjust my timing today, and the distributor is really frozen (yes, I loosened the retaining bolt).

I soaked it with Liquid Wrench and let it sit. Tapped it with a hammer. Tried wiggling it in any direction with my hands. No dice.

Anyone dealt with thus before? I'm Leary of applying too much force and breaking something.

Thanks.

Brandon

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
So, I took the air conditioner off and was able to put an oil filter wrench on
the distributor. It took a bit of back and forth, but it came loose. I continued
to spray it with Liquid Wrench and work it back and forth by hand until it moved
easily.

The base of the distributor has what looks like pipe wrench marks on it. Tells
me this isn't the first time it's been stuck. Think it's time for a new disty.
Lol

#6 ·
Does anyone have experience with the conversion to electronic ignition to replace the points?

#7 ·
Not directly, but I read a good deal when looking into it. And there are several options.

One option I liked (and may still do) fits inside of your stock distributor, but replaces the points and rotor. Another option, of course, is to get like a 1975 HEI for the engine. The only real caution I've seen there relates to the coil. HEI uses 12V. But with points, a resistor on the coil pulls that down to 6V, otherwise the points would burn up. But I'd probably replace the coil anyway. Another problem I've seen is that the AC belts will be much closer to the [larger] HEI housing.

There is a ton of info online and aftermarket products to make life easier. I just haven't bit the bullet yet.

#8 ·
So, I took the distributor out this morning. I can tell just be rotating it with my hand that the bearings are less than good. And there appears to be a wear pattern on the gear. The wear isn't terrible or uneven. But that plus the feel when it rotates don't inspire confidence.

I cleaned it up anyway and set it aside. I covered the hole in the block with masking tape to keep dirt out.

My biggest concern at this point is the wear on that gear. It makes me wonder what the mating gear looks like.

But, I'm out of time for today. So that will have to wait.

Wood

Auto part Wheel

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.