: Considering selling my 2009 Platinum.....and getting a..

murphy
06-16-13, 08:54 PM
Yes I'm close to getting a new ML63 with the upgraded performance package.

Anybody here on the forum with one ? Comments ?
http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v41/p384838708-6.jpg

soulsea
06-16-13, 09:14 PM
It's very small and the GL63 is a much nicer vehicle imho, but it's a nice crossover so if you like it why not?

I've just never been a Mercedes guy, and I find their latest design language over stylized/exaggerated.

MrHolland
06-16-13, 09:27 PM
Hcvone has one I believe. Hate to see you give up that beautiful machine.

murphy
06-16-13, 09:42 PM
Come and get him Mr.H ...special deal just for you !! :)

soulsea
06-16-13, 10:02 PM
Come and get him Mr.H ...

Your truck is a he?

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

murphy
06-16-13, 10:17 PM
Yeah my daughter named him Mr. Platinum..
And the intent to ML is for a slightly smaller change from the "big box" ride. I agree the Germans get somewhat carried away at times with details...trinkets..trim etc..I think they used way too much stitching in the seats and on the door panels...the exhaust tips imho are cheezy too but the Cayenne is also cheezy and I've had 3 BMWs...2 E39 M5's and a 540 and also don't care for the X5. All in all I like the ML series and think the AMG package may carry over the NFS when I don't/can't drive my ZR1 :) (like in the winter)

soulsea
06-16-13, 10:22 PM
To me the Cayennes look like little minivans, I can't stand those things.

I do like the X6M but it kinda looks like the most impractical vehicle ever, so I'm thinking I like looking at it more than I'd like owning it ... plus the design is now a little dated and ripe for a refresh.

The new 14MY RR Sport SC looks very pretty, but until I hear otherwise I'm going to assume it's going to be plagued by the same unreliability issues as its predecessors.

It's funny cause I've gone through this same internal dialog the last four times I wanted a newer SUV and I've ended up buying a GMT900 each time. And it wasn't to adhere to some brand identity tribalism, I just could't find anything I liked better.

But if your Esky is anything to go by you have good taste, so I'm sure you'll find a nice vehicle.

Happy father's day. :)

murphy
06-16-13, 10:42 PM
The images I've seen of the direction the Escalade appears to be going scares me :) and it's time they get rid of the solid rear axle and frankly the list is long..
The Escalade has fulfilled it's role well as an upscale truck/tow vehicle/people hauler but for me my needs have changed and no longer need any of the fore mentioned...I'm now more for performance and handling..

And a Happy Father's Day evening also to you and the other Dads here on the forum..

kazza93203
06-16-13, 10:53 PM
ML 63 model 166 is bitchin! New design. Tons of power.

hcvone
06-17-13, 07:00 AM
The images I've seen of the direction the Escalade appears to be going scares me :) and it's time they get rid of the solid rear axle and frankly the list is long..
The Escalade has fulfilled it's role well as an upscale truck/tow vehicle/people hauler but for me my needs have changed and no longer need any of the fore mentioned...I'm now more for performance and handling..

And a Happy Father's Day evening also to you and the other Dads here on the forum..

Mr M, Got my GL63 to replace my GL550, (the ML was just too small after driving one for a week for us) , still have one 12' platinum with 4k miles on it, the first thing you notice on the GL63 is the brakes, it stops like a vette, the other thing is the 570 hp with the performance pack, it drives more car like than an Escalade, and handles great for the size, but it also costs 34k more than my last platinum, and YES I would do it again, it just feels safer and stronger when you are driving down the road. JMO from owning several on both

MrHolland
06-17-13, 07:37 AM
Hello MrHCV, glad to see you stop by!!! Hope all is well in your world.

--MrM, I'd love to bring that machine back home where you purchased it. Unfortunately I don't have time to drive the one I own, let alone two.

hcvone
06-17-13, 08:45 AM
Hello MrHCV, glad to see you stop by!!! Hope all is well in your world.

--MrM, I'd love to bring that machine back home where you purchased it. Unfortunately I don't have time to drive the one I own, let alone two.

All is good Mr H, I will have something to ship you as soon as I get get them sprayed, just a lot going on lately, all good :)

BEarle
06-17-13, 09:06 AM
Jeep SRT8?????? I saw a new 14 model the other day with the upgraded headlight. It was white....WOW! I would buy that over the ML63 any day! The current ML looks too much like a minivan like the cayenne, I liked the previous model better.

hcvone
06-17-13, 09:31 AM
Jeep SRT8?????? I saw a new 14 model the other day with the upgraded headlight. It was white....WOW! I would buy that over the ML63 any day! The current ML looks too much like a minivan like the cayenne, I liked the previous model better.

It's called an Alpine edition SRT8, it's all white and black chrome, it's what my wife drives, well in bad weather anyway, it's a good race for my GL63 ;)

murphy
06-17-13, 09:33 AM
It's a Jeep..nuf said...(ouch!)

soulsea
06-17-13, 09:55 AM
It's a FIAT..nuf said...(ouch!)

fyp :)

hcvone
06-17-13, 12:05 PM

The really sad thing it's nicer than my platinum inside :(

HDWOund
06-18-13, 09:04 AM
I would second the GL63 over the ML63. I would have purchased a GL63 over my current '13 Escalade ESV if I didn't need room for 3 toddlers with car seats, a teenager and the extra cargo space in back for long distance family trips. The bi-turbo V8 engines are monsters and with just an ECU tune can approach 700hp so either way the ML or GL would be a blast.

Singh G
06-18-13, 09:36 PM

more jeeps on the road with >100k miles than any other SUV. running strong since 1941.

soulsea
06-18-13, 09:39 PM
Meh, they're building Cherokees on Dart frames ... it's not your grandfather's Jeep any more.

murphy
06-18-13, 09:43 PM
Pretty much sums it up right there Mr. S ..

Singh G
06-18-13, 09:54 PM
the new cherokee is a fiat product. but wranglers remain one of the most (arguably the most) capable off road vehicle in stock form, at least for now.

murphy
06-18-13, 10:36 PM
Yes I agree the Wrangler is a capable entity in the Jeep lineup..it does the off-road thing well but that being said about ends it's on-road qualities..a scary prospect on a slippery winter road for certain