: Rear Pass wheel hub problem

tophat
06-16-13, 03:34 PM
Well I seem to have alittle issue. 04 V with almost 120,000... Driving yesterday and noticed a loud bang every few seconds while off the gas in forward and reverse, it went away after 40mph.

Got the car to my work and thru it up on jackstands, looking around I noticed 1 lug nut missing, looked more and the stud was snapped off, I started to take the tire off and 3 more studs snapped....Well now I needed new studs or a hub. Started taking everything apart but now have problems.

Im going to just throw a new hub on, got 2 of the 3 bolts loose but the bottom bolt I dont have the room to get a wrench into, figured since I have it torn apart this far I may as well get new CV and throw in a new axle just because.

Well the knuckle is now unbolted but the axle shaft will not budge(yes the nut is off) Ive tried every rental hub puller/ a 5ton 3jaw puller and nothing works.(ive sprayed the heck out of everything with penetrating oil)

So now Ive got the car sitting in my shop at work with no way to get everything apart and put together (what a nice way to spend Father Day, not that I dont like working on the car just not like this).

Anyone who has run into the same issue with any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ive got the haynes manual, Fac service manual and lots of open windows from searches on my computer but cant seem to get it straightened out.

darkman
06-16-13, 04:27 PM
Assuming you have the knuckle off and all the associated hardware (bottom of the shocks, etc.) you shoudl be able to extract the axle by wedging a very large flat screwdriver, the flat on an L-shaped OEM-style lug wrench, or a breaker bar between the inner axle hub and the differential. It is only held in by a single snap ring on the axle itself which snaps into a groove in the differential internals.

See also:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/190120-axle-install-how.html

tophat
06-16-13, 08:30 PM
Thanks Darkman, I think I have that thread memorized by now...lol. Was hoping I didnt have to replace the axle but I think at this point even if I get it off the knuckle it wouldnt hurt for an upgrade. Ill be messing with it in the morning as my brain hurts from trying to over think what should be an easy fix. Then Ill just have to work on getting it off the knuckle, probably have to throw it in a press or something.

tophat
06-17-13, 06:45 PM
Finally got the axle off, still stuck to the knuckle side so off to the dealer I went. Hopefully they can get it apart, new halfshaft shipped out today and just picked up a new hub...Guess it was a good time to drain the dif, now I wait and hopefully be back on the road this weekend. Atleast if something goes wrong on the drivers side I can call myself a pro at taking the rearend apart, hoping to have some worry free driving for awhile tho

tophat
06-18-13, 04:25 PM
Well the dealer put 1700 lbs on the press to try and get the axle off, the knuckle ended up giving out...Looking for a rear pass knuckle now I guess....this is turning into a big spendy issue

darkman
06-18-13, 04:52 PM
Wow. I guess you never really stood a chance of fixing that yourself.

tophat
06-18-13, 06:47 PM
yeah I was alittle shocked, then I saw it at the dealer. I think it shocked them also. Ya live and learn and Im learning alot this week, but should be good to go by the weekend once all the parts come in as long as no other issues come up

Albertan
06-18-13, 07:19 PM
Haven't been on forums for a while. I would think that they didn't support the knuckle properly. I have a 12 ton bearing press and many times I am
really pressing on a bearing before it comes loose. 1700 pounds is only a little over 8 tons. I suppose it is possible that the bearing housing spun and welded itself to the knuckle but that would be very unusual.

darkman
06-18-13, 07:25 PM
Haven't been on forums for a while. I would think that they didn't support the knuckle properly. I have a 12 ton bearing press and many times I am
really pressing on a bearing before it comes loose. 1700 pounds is only a little over 8 tons. I suppose it is possible that the bearing housing spun and welded itself to the knuckle but that would be very unusual.

This part usually falls apart with a few light taps from a hammer.

tophat
06-18-13, 10:15 PM
Yeah something was odd about it but Im not surprised, either way I have new parts on order and will be up and running by the weekend, cost me a few dollars more than I expected but thats life I guess and I will be good to go after this. My uncle who retired from being a tech for cadillac was also shocked after he saw it but said it has happened before.

darkman
06-18-13, 10:35 PM
Yeah something was odd about it but Im not surprised, either way I have new parts on order and will be up and running by the weekend, cost me a few dollars more than I expected but thats life I guess and I will be good to go after this. My uncle who retired from being a tech for cadillac was also shocked after he saw it but said it has happened before.

When are you going to pull the other side to see if is also frozen?

tophat
06-19-13, 07:55 AM
Im alittle scared to right now, but it will have to be looked at sometime soon i guess, just need to get it out of my warehouse at work first then probably bring it to a friends house who has a lift in the near future once I figure out the final total for the pass side.

tophat
06-19-13, 05:07 PM
Talked to Luke over at Lindsay this am and got a brand new knuckle shipped out this afternoon, will have all my parts by friday morning so I know how my friday night will turn out...I will for sure contact them again for any parts needs, would rather pay alittle extra to have a part shipped when I can get awesome service. Thanks Luke