: Windshield Replacement First POST

ATS
06-16-13, 01:57 PM
Hello GEnts

Here is my first post and sadly, not a good one

The one day i had to park in the street, couldnt go in my driveway,:ill:
I go up to my car and this is what i see,

You can see on the picture where the scratch starts

Still have no idea if it's done on purpose or a rock...

Weird place to be one of my enemies who precisely hit in that corner...

Weird place for a rock chip to hit since its a at bad angle...

ANYWAY, Done ranting:chill:

MY QUESTION IS :
could it be i read these windshields have a special film on it ?

Also the sensor behind the rear mirror, will it need to be re calibrated or something ?

Basically is there something i should know of just any glass shop can do this job?

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/brp2/2013/20130615_220430.jpg (http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/brp2/media/2013/20130615_220430.jpg.html)

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/brp2/2013/20130615_220434.jpg (http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/brp2/media/2013/20130615_220434.jpg.html)

Hoosier Daddy
06-16-13, 02:04 PM
Sorry to hear that.

FYI, you did not include the picture you refer to (you can edit your post to add it now if you want).

I read on a glass installer forum that the sensors are self calibrating.

If you have insurance, I recommend having the dealer replace it. Then you will definitely get factory parts and no chance of finger pointing with future issues that MIGHT be related.

ATS
06-16-13, 02:21 PM
ya forgot the pics, here they are

ok thanks for the tip

Very weird spot for a chip

rustybear3
06-16-13, 03:56 PM
[/COLOR]
ya forgot the pics, here they are

ok thanks for the tip

Very weird spot for a chip

more likely vandalism; especially when you see those deep gouge scratches...unlikely a rock (unless it was huge) did that......did you have hail in your region?

ATS
06-17-13, 10:59 AM
[/COLOR]

more likely vandalism; especially when you see those deep gouge scratches...unlikely a rock (unless it was huge) did that......did you have hail in your region?

No hail, but my insurance premium does raise $ once i say where i'm live...

Very weird,not one guy says the same thing... i just wished it would happen on the road like it happened to me 3 times in the past , so that i could be postive it was not done by thugs... Seems some people dont respect semi successful guys in their 20s with a 50k$ car...

rage2021
06-19-13, 02:20 PM
No hail, but my insurance premium does raise $ once i say where i'm live...

Very weird,not one guy says the same thing... i just wished it would happen on the road like it happened to me 3 times in the past , so that i could be postive it was not done by thugs... Seems some people dont respect semi successful guys in their 20s with a 50k$ car...

Yea that kinda of stuff concerns me..Sorry to hear about that..I gotta leave my car on the driveway during the day..whats stopping someone from coming by and throwing a rock or scratching it..
I know there is no point worrying about it because you just can't stop it fully..I was considering a 24/7 dashcam if they have those, lol.

ATS
08-06-13, 11:59 AM
after 5 weeks of wait, (even if they said 1 week delivery)

They called me monday to say it arrived.. and gave me an appointment the next monday...

Very professional !
850 $ BTW

GJB
08-06-13, 03:18 PM

They called me monday to say it arrived.. and gave me an appointment the next monday...

Very professional !
850 $ BTW

Please let us know what you think of the of the replacement, hopefully you will not notice a difference from the factory fit. I need mine replaced (distorted view) but have been waiting because I’m hesitant to replace the original.

rustybear3
08-06-13, 09:22 PM
Please let us know what you think of the of the replacement, hopefully you will not notice a difference from the factory fit. I need mine replaced (distorted view) but have been waiting because I’m hesitant to replace the original.

You have a "distorted view" through your windshield....how could a replacement be possibly worse than what you have now?

GJB
08-06-13, 11:08 PM
You have a "distorted view" through your windshield....how could a replacement be possibly worse than what you have now?

Good point, my comment sounded kind of dumb. The distortion is viewed from the driver seat looking through the passenger side. From straight on looking out from the passenger seat it's not noticeable? It must be in the plastic between the glass and the angle. I have a HUD so the technology and manufacturing get better all the time and I have 4 years to get it fixed so time is on my side. I also hate the idea of replacing factory seal but it does need to be replaced because it bugs the heck out of me. I want to minimize trips to the dealer so I have a list of things to look at when I go in for oil change and tire rotation in a couple k miles

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

ben.gators
08-06-13, 11:23 PM
:yeah: No doubt on professionalism of the dealers (at least most of them), but I always try to keep the number of times that I take my cars to shops as low as possible! I prefer to live with a small problem rather than having a major repair done on my brand new car!

GJB
08-06-13, 11:32 PM
:yeah: No doubt on professionalism of the dealers (at least most of them), but I always try to keep the number of times that I take my cars to shops as low as possible! I prefer to live with a small problem rather than having a major repair done on my brand new car!

Amen brother!

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-07-13, 11:33 AM

Very professional !
850 $ BTW

Hello ATS,

I am happy to hear you have been contacted regarding your window replacement and they scheduled an appointment for you already. I bet you are happy to finally have this taken care of. Don't hesitate to contact us if additional concerns or questions arise.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

GJB
10-25-13, 03:01 PM
Good point, my comment sounded kind of dumb. The distortion is viewed from the driver seat looking through the passenger side. From straight on looking out from the passenger seat it's not noticeable? It must be in the plastic between the glass and the angle. I have a HUD so the technology and manufacturing get better all the time and I have 4 years to get it fixed so time is on my side. I also hate the idea of replacing factory seal but it does need to be replaced because it bugs the heck out of me. I want to minimize trips to the dealer so I have a list of things to look at when I go in for oil change and tire rotation in a couple k miles

HUD windshield replaced today under warranty! Service manager saw the distortion right away and took pictures and sent to GM. Replacement was approved in about a week and it took about a month for it to come in because it was on back order. Makes me think there was a production problem but well worth the wait....no distortion and the slight smoked/filmy appearance that was in the old one is also not in the new.

One strange thing is the projected image on the windshield is larger, maybe just in my head but I noticed it right away? No explanation and I like it. I checked to make sure HUD glass was installed and sure enough it is.

Dealer experience was positive I just wish they were my closest dealer but thankful I have a good one.

RocketDawg
10-25-13, 04:47 PM
The main reason I would hesitate to replace a windshield is the increased possibility of leaks. I've had that problem a time or two before. And of course, nowadays, the fact that there are sensors on the windshield itself. One of those is for rain-sensor wipers.

To the OP ... that does indeed look like vandalism. Apparently there are some people who just like to destroy things. I'm not sure what makes them tick. Some will key a door just because the car owner is conscientious enough to keep the paint in good shape.