: Door handle issues, wondering about this

PaulBek
06-16-13, 12:59 PM
I am new to Cadillac ownership. Bought a pre owned 2006 STS V6 couple of weeks ago - delighted with the car, but am having what I now have learned (thank you, to this forum) to be the dreaded failing micro switch issue with the door handle. The dealer where I bought the car said the key fob probably had a dead battery...obviously he knew the repair was no fun and wanted to transfer the pain to me, which I naively

What I'm wondering is - does the 2008 CTS use the same door handle housings?

This guy on YouTube here made pretty short work out of the procedure:

http://youtu.be/3mFNcsSXeWE

I realize my interior door panel looks and will remove somewhat differently, but, these look just like the versions on my car. I have read where some on this forum recommend new handles, painting, and on and on - if the STS replaces similarly to this you tube video then, gosh - couldn't a determined guy like me fix this.

EChas3
06-16-13, 04:45 PM
I take it the battery didn't help?

Members have repaired some issues by replcing the switch. Diagnosis is key. I think all the links you need are in the 'Sticky' thread at the top of the forum.

PaulBek
06-16-13, 05:06 PM
Nah, battery didn't help...when it rains, doors stop working. As soon as the sun dries the car out, they intermittently work so I know it's the switches...was just wondering why the Sticky procedure comments from a regular poster state that you have to replace the door handles...

In the YouTube video I linked, on a CTS, you clearly don't have to replace the door handles...just the dark gray housing behind the handle (in which the micro switches are located...). The CTS handles look exactly like those on my 2006 STS...

Just trying to psych myself up into doing the job.

EChas3
06-16-13, 05:59 PM
Within the past 6 months, a member posted about his success buying switch's from Chris @ Rippy's Cadillac and replacing just that compenent. I'm surprised the 'Sticky' didn't get updated...

----------

Here it is:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/286460-4-fix-door-handle-micro-switch.html

I posted to the 'Sticky'...

Search advice: Use your favorite Internet search tool and try variations on 'cadillac forums sts <topic>'. You might be surprised how good the results will be.

PaulBek
06-17-13, 12:34 AM
Thanks EChase - I guess more than anything I wanted some cognitive dissonance, and to know that the CTS had the same mechanical connection, which I now know to be true -