: Oil change esv 2006

escalade addict
06-16-13, 11:59 AM
Just curious as to what to go by when changing oil. I have been prompt on all my oil changes and I go by what the next distance is even if my DIC tells me it's still 50% oil life. Should I wait for the oil life to go less than 40% or go by the distance ?

the cadillac man
06-16-13, 12:38 PM
Just curious as to what to go by when changing oil. I have been prompt on all my oil changes and I go by what the next distance is even if my DIC tells me it's still 50% oil life. Should I wait for the oil life to go less than 40% or go by the distance ?

I wait till it gets to 25% before I change my oil and haven't had a problem

Silver04
06-16-13, 12:44 PM
I wait til les than 10%. I have stuck with Mobil 1 and I spring for the Bosch long life filter.

the cadillac man
06-16-13, 12:49 PM
I wait til les than 10%. I have stuck with Mobil 1 and I spring for the Bosch long life filter.

That's kinda of a long wait to change the oil

escalade addict
06-16-13, 12:59 PM
Thanks for your input gentlemen. I guess im still good I still have 40%

the cadillac man
06-16-13, 04:54 PM
Thanks for your input gentlemen. I guess im still good I still have 40%

Yep you still have a good amount of oil life left

rfishoutofwater
06-16-13, 09:42 PM
I also wait until 10%. I use the K&N oil filters and valvoline synthetic oil! I do check my oil weekly and my oil is always nice and clean. Not black like some after only 3500 miles. By the time mine reaches 10% im usually around 7500 miles.

the cadillac man
06-16-13, 10:36 PM
I also wait until 10%. I use the K&N oil filters and valvoline synthetic oil! I do check my oil weekly and my oil is always nice and clean. Not black like some after only 3500 miles. By the time mine reaches 10% im usually around 7500 miles.

I usually hit the same mileage and it shows the same percent but I change at 25% now as I don't like going that long between oil changes

rfishoutofwater
06-17-13, 02:31 AM
I might send an oil sample off to blackstone for analysis. I have done that in the past for my diesel f350 and they can tell you how well your oil is doing and at what intervals to change. My diesel truck gets changed every 10-12k running full synthetic. i still change the oil filter every 4-5k.

I have installed a fumoto vavle on both my F350 and the escalade. This makes taking samples and oil changes a breeze..

the cadillac man
06-17-13, 03:02 AM
I might send an oil sample off to blackstone for analysis. I have done that in the past for my diesel f350 and they can tell you how well your oil is doing and at what intervals to change. My diesel truck gets changed every 10-12k running full synthetic. i still change the oil filter every 4-5k.

I have installed a fumoto vavle on both my F350 and the escalade. This makes taking samples and oil changes a breeze..

Cool let us know the results when you get them

rfishoutofwater
06-17-13, 03:19 AM
Will do. Im due for an oil change in the next week or so before we head out on vacation. Driving from wa to so cal for 2 weeks. Ill send off this current oil and sew what it comes back as. Here is there link of anyone is interested. They send you the kit for free. The analysis is $25. well worth it.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

also here is the link to the fumoto valve.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/?gclid=COeD98fI6rcCFUbhQgod9wUAUA

the cadillac man
06-17-13, 11:55 AM
Will do. Im due for an oil change in the next week or so before we head out on vacation. Driving from wa to so cal for 2 weeks. Ill send off this current oil and sew what it comes back as. Here is there link of anyone is interested. They send you the kit for free. The analysis is $25. well worth it.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

also here is the link to the fumoto valve.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/?gclid=COeD98fI6rcCFUbhQgod9wUAUA

The valve would do great for me

caddydaddy
06-17-13, 02:19 PM

Does the 6.0 pan require the adapter piece they sell?

----------

I go between 6,000-8,300 miles between oil changes, depending on what the OLM says. I had the oil tested last April by Blackstone, and they said all was well with the engine at 83,000 miles on it (99,000 now). They recommended trying 10,000 miles on my oil changes. I don't think the OLM will let it go to 10,000 miles before reading 0%. My advice would be to change it before the OLM reads 0% and you'll be good!
I also use a larger oil filter. The filters for a Northstar are bigger and fit, so I just use the same filter that my 2000 STS uses, and have been for the past 50K miles.

rfishoutofwater
06-17-13, 02:59 PM
Yes. You will need the adapter. Whats the filter part number you use? I like the idea of a larger filter.

caddydaddy
06-17-13, 03:11 PM
Yes. You will need the adapter. Whats the filter part number you use? I like the idea of a larger filter.

Thanks. I usually use a Purolator PL25288 or a NAPA Gold 1522. Either way, if you search for a filter for a 2000 STS, that'll fit the Escalade 6.0 just fine! It's amazing how small the filter is on the 6.0!

rfishoutofwater
06-17-13, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the part numbers. Yes i was surprised myself at how small the filters are.

the cadillac man
06-17-13, 04:05 PM
Me too I didn't think gm would put such a small filter on these trucks(next time I go to the dealer for my oil change I will mention the different filter and if I have to show the service manager this thread)

wesyder
06-17-13, 05:54 PM
Me too I didn't think gm would put such a small filter on these trucks(next time I go to the dealer for my oil change I will mention the different filter and if I have to show the service manager this thread)

Probably cuz it works, the later filters with the "e" in the part number is even smaller

the cadillac man
06-17-13, 07:10 PM
Probably cuz it works, the later filters with the "e" in the part number is even smaller

Dang if it was any smaller I don't think it would be really effective

Silver04
06-18-13, 12:06 AM
Thanks. I usually use a Purolator PL25288 or a NAPA Gold 1522. Either way, if you search for a filter for a 2000 STS, that'll fit the Escalade 6.0 just fine! It's amazing how small the filter is on the 6.0!

Good to know for next time. Thsnks

wesyder
06-18-13, 02:07 PM
Dang if it was any smaller I don't think it would be really effective

I feel the same way but this is a well built engine so these guys must know whats up

the cadillac man
06-18-13, 02:34 PM
I feel the same way but this is a well built engine so these guys must know whats up

True it is a well built engine plus a lot of r&d went into it to make it like it is

bigirb2002
06-23-13, 09:02 PM
Oil filter size don't matter.it's the right size for a 5 at capacity