: What causes rear differentials to prematurely fail?

trukk
02-04-05, 11:08 AM
I've heard many different explanations, hypothesysies and theories as to why some rear differentials in the V fail. I thought I would run a poll to try and determine the prevailing thought on this issue.

-Chris

trukk
02-04-05, 01:55 PM
Please feel free to post your comments on this, if the poll isn't sufficient.

-Chris

NC STS-V
02-04-05, 02:55 PM
Wheelhop was definitely the cause of my cracked rearend!

baf_ctsv
02-04-05, 04:55 PM
395 ft/lbs of TORQUE !!! Simple

Vrocks
02-04-05, 05:58 PM
Sticky Tires

urbanski
02-04-05, 06:12 PM
Sticky Tires
you know it's funny. I wonder what would happen if somebody put those $99 for 4 Pep Boys tires on this thing. LOL

willsctsv
02-04-05, 08:15 PM
vett engine, vette tranny, why not use the vette's Rear?

CTSV05
02-04-05, 09:37 PM

That is a bit baffleing.:banghead: Too much of this maybe???:burn:

PneuBird
02-06-05, 04:27 AM
No Corvette rear because GMPD got cheap with the thought that nothing but 65 year old men were going to buy these cars and putt-putt around town with them.........WRONG!!! :tisk:

CTSV05
02-06-05, 09:38 AM
No Corvette rear because GMPD got cheap with the thought that nothing but 65 year old men were going to buy these cars and putt-putt around town with them.........WRONG!!! :tisk:

Well that certainly went well......DOH!:cookoo:

I can't imagine they thought that, they had to be aware that some leadfooted people would be buying these, I mean what little marketing I did see was all performance based info.

Personally, I think they were TOO willing to comprimise, HOPING that it would last beyond the warranty period.:tisk:

Its a shame too, as the rest of the car is superb.:bouncy:

BowenCT
02-06-05, 01:35 PM
Personally, I think they were TOO willing to comprimise, HOPING that it would last beyond the warranty period.:tisk:

Interesting point. That being said, any owners out their plan on dumping their V before the warranty expires because of the rear's inevitability of needing to be replaced?

c5racr1
02-07-05, 01:23 AM
I think it is a heat Issue!

DgtalPimp
02-07-05, 01:33 AM

Not the vette tranny.

Z06 has a torqe tube and tranny in the rear.

Kels55
02-07-05, 11:14 AM
Took the V in last week because the rear has all of the noise that has ever been described on this forum. Turns out the major problem is the bushings for the rear, more specifically the front bushing. My rear made noise at ever shift and any time pressure was added to or taken away from the gas. Before replacing the whole rear, they wanted to test it with the new bushings.

So I pick it up Friday with only the new front bushing installed (other two will be installed this week) and the difference is extreme. With only the front bushing replaced, the driveline cluck is all but completely eliminated and the banging during shifts and stepping on/off the gas is no longer there. The rear feels very tight and responsive, with no more sloppy feel or dreaded metal on metal banging.

Anyone with these problems should have the dealer replace the bushing first under warrenty before deciding to replace factory parts with aftermarket parts like flywheels and new rear diffs, unless your going for increased performance.

trukk
02-09-05, 02:59 PM
On the wheel hop angle.

I was just reading an article at Idaho Corvette about the differences between the original Ls6 (385 version) and the newest version (405) in the Z06 (http://www.idavette.net/hib/02ls6/page4.htm), and it mentioned a few interesting things.

1) "We mentioned the calibration’s antipowerhop algorithm earlier. Confronted with customer complaints and durability concerns about the behavior of manual transmission Corvettes at launch, GM Powertrain has added the feature to eliminate the hop. "The Power Hop algorithm is used on manual transmission Corvettes, only." John Juriga states. "If TCS (traction control system) is turned off, it is possible to get the tires to break loose and have axle hop, or oscillate, during hard launches. To remedy this, the TCS module requests a torque reduction from the ECM, even though TCS has been turned off by the driver. For Power Hop, spark and/or fuel (reductions are) used rather than throttle to improve response time. This request is calibrated so wheel hop can be reduced as much as possible without compromising vehicle performance. The TCS module requests just enough torque reduction for just long enough to get the axle back on the ground during these launch events."

Anyone know if our V's have this antipowerhop algorithm?

2) On a completely different note, it talks about why the screen was removed on the 2002 LS6 MAF. The screen is there to 'smooth' the air flow in a MAF with bends in it (like ours has). In the 2002 LS6 in the z06 it ws removed because the MAF is so straight, it wansn't needed. This may be important to those modifying your MAF's (i.e. probabaly don't want to remove that screen.)

GM did what Idaho Corvette Page regulars have been doing for years with MAFs–remove the air flow straightener or "screen". What took them so long to figure that one out? The LS6 is not GM’s only application of that MAF. Any use of it with an air intake duct that curves just before the MAF (typical of most trucks), needs the straightener for the MAF to sense accurately and GM’s conventional wisdom was to leave it in on Corvettes. In part, the essence of the ruthless pursuit of power is whipping conventional wisdom which was, according to Dr. John, "....you gotta have it in there."

With the Corvette’s relatively straight passage between the air filter box and the MAF, the straightener isn’t needed. Juriga told us it wasn’t until the MY02 development that his people looked at that MAF in a Corvette-specific perspective. "The questions we continually ask are: ‘Do we need it?’, ‘What’s next?’ and ‘What if?’

-Chris

urbanski
02-09-05, 03:04 PM
sounds like the AWH "solution" is to cut so much engine power that hop isn't possible! i'd buy a Kia if I wanted that "fix" :D

gimme bushings or something real!

GNSCOTT
02-09-05, 05:41 PM
The half shafts are too weak. My tires stuck and it snapped instantly. No wheel hop, no tires burning. it rolled about 10 feet. I thought the car popped out of gear.