: Catera Coupe... err I mean GTO

dpaanlka
02-04-05, 11:03 AM
We all knew this already...

Somebody just decided to make a nice visual explaining similarities:

The Catera GTO Connection (http://www.danpalka.com/cateraperformance/images/cateragto.jpg)

It's an interesting read! :bouncy:

justindu
02-04-05, 03:10 PM
Very Interesting. The similarities are defineatly there!

Vesicant
02-04-05, 03:15 PM
Both the Catera and the GTO are based on the V platform. Both were originally from Opel/Vauxhall. The GTO is the modified Holden Monaro - the platform was converted by Holden from Opel.

Vesicant
02-04-05, 03:33 PM
I just wish we had a V8. Lol....

*recalls Mr.Wood's "Catera-V"

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16176

Timelode
02-07-05, 01:13 PM
Actually I think the GTO has more in common with the looks of the Chevy Cavalier than anything else. 400 HP V8 or not, the GTO just doesn't excite a lot of people, including myself.

dpaanlka
02-09-05, 01:35 PM
If you think the GTO looks more like a Chevy Cavalier than a Cadillac Catera, then you obviously didn't read that page.

Timelode
02-09-05, 01:51 PM
I read it. It showed a lot of interesting, but small similarities and it was a fun comparason. But take a look at the overall shape and feel of both the GTO and the Cavalier. The have similar rear facias and roof lines as well as side profiles. I'm not the only one who's noticed this, several automotive mags and thier readers have also pointed this out. I personally think that's also why the newest Goat has the huge hood scoops and a few other cosmetics, to set it apart a little more and make appear more muscular.

Vesicant
02-09-05, 07:32 PM
Dan would you happen to know what site that comparison came from? Im trying to view as many opinions as possible about the catera' :)

dpaanlka
02-10-05, 01:49 PM
I read it. It showed a lot of interesting, but small similarities and it was a fun comparason. But take a look at the overall shape and feel of both the GTO and the Cavalier. The have similar rear facias and roof lines as well as side profiles. I'm not the only one who's noticed this, several automotive mags and thier readers have also pointed this out. I personally think that's also why the newest Goat has the huge hood scoops and a few other cosmetics, to set it apart a little more and make appear more muscular.

Even though you may think the GTO looks kindof like a Cavalier, that doesn't change the fact that it is a Catera. They don't just look similar, they are the same car essentially. Same platform, just slightly modified. That's basically the point I was driving home in that page. Not only is it a Catera, but GM didn't even make a good attempt to hide the fact that it is a Catera.

Small similarities? They're the same car!

BTW - I made that page (and that side view comparison).

caddydaddy
02-10-05, 03:46 PM
WOW! Very similar!

So, basically the Catera never died! It just moved over to Pontiac! :bonkers:

dpaanlka
02-11-05, 06:36 PM
Holden of Australia continues to build cars in the basic form of the Catera. There is even a pickup truck like version (kindof like an el camino).

Still looks the same and is based on the same platform.

Vesicant
02-11-05, 07:04 PM
IF i recall the v platform dates back to 1994... it must be that good or they're just really cheap to keep using it. lol

Btw, since the omega was cut in europe and the rest of the world - in 2003, theres already a concept for the new one-

http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6040505.001/opel/1.html

gifutiger
05-11-05, 01:34 PM
From Australia

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38216/name/2005-Pontiac-GTO/

2005 Pontiac GTO: Highlights
Pontiac's reborn muscle car gets more power for 2005. GTO is based on a car built by Holden, GM's Australian branch, and is offered only as a midsize coupe. A modified Chevrolet Corvette V8, now up from 5.7 to 6.0 liters and 350 to 400 horsepower, drives the GTO's rear wheels via a 4-speed automatic transmission or an available 6-speed manual. Antilock 4-wheel disc brakes, traction control, and a limited-slip differential are standard. Performance tires with 17-inch wheels are the only wheel-tire combination. GTO seats four and comes with leather upholstery, in-dash CD changer, and remote keyless entry. Side airbags, sunroof, and antiskid system are unavailable. New for '05 is a standard hood with twin open air scoops. Pontiac says the scoops provide engine cooling, but no performance advantage. A scoopless hood is a no-cost option.

CateraSport2000
05-11-05, 02:17 PM
I love the look of the GTO, very European and elegantly styled. It sort of resembles a late 90's Monte Carlo...that's an offhand compliment I guess.

The Catera and the GTO are the only cars in the GM stable I like (that are available in the USA). I was considering a GTO for my next car but I'd miss the luxury features that are in our Cateras. Otherwise, my heart lies with the German and Japanese automakers.

Jeff