: How is the electronic brake release cover attached?

hauler
06-15-13, 09:11 PM
I understand that the small metal panel in my car with an auto trans would be an electronic park brake release in a car with manual trans. Can anyone tell me how the cover is locked down? It's a great place for a switch for accessory toys.

tenacious84
10-16-13, 02:42 PM
You are mistaken in your assumption that it is an electronic park brake release in a car with manual transmission. My manual transmission car exhibits the same small metal panel and I too would like to know how to remove it. The brake release on the manual transmission cars is the typical pull lever located right above the parking break pedal.

Mistercoffee2
10-16-13, 10:18 PM
I understand that the small metal panel in my car with an auto trans would be an electronic park brake release in a car with manual trans. Can anyone tell me how the cover is locked down? It's a great place for a switch for accessory toys.

The small panel you refer to is attached from the bottom. It is plastic, not metal.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/2012-11-07161441.jpg~original

Mistercoffee2
10-16-13, 10:29 PM

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/2012-11-07161441.jpg~original

The small panel you refer to is attached from the bottom. It is plastic, not metal.

It is not necessary to completely remove the transmission control boot, just pop it up.

jeffc83
10-16-13, 11:19 PM

It is not necessary to completely remove the transmission control boot, just pop it up.

Woah...what kind of CTS is that a picture of??? Love the extra wood plus that start button in the center!!! Is it custom?

Mistercoffee2
10-17-13, 12:46 AM
Woah...what kind of CTS is that a picture of??? Love the extra wood plus that start button in the center!!! Is it custom?

The Engine Start button is one of my projects. Duplicates the functions of the Keyless Ignition Switch. I designed and built controller and wrote the software. The control box is under the string column.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/PCBoard1.png~original

Brake Off, in park:
1st push = ACC, Yellow LED
2nd push = IGN, Green LED
3rd push = OFF

Brake On, in park:
1st push starts engine, Green LED
2nd all off.

Had to loose the steering wheel lock.

The rest is 2008 Cadillac CTS Luxury package.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/mistercoffee2/2012-11-071612471.jpg~original

ajazolino
10-17-13, 01:00 AM
I. Want. That.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

jeffc83
10-17-13, 07:54 AM
The Engine Start button is one of my projects. Duplicates the functions of the Keyless Ignition Switch. I designed and built controller and wrote the software. The control box is under the string column. Brake Off, in park: 1st push = ACC, Yellow LED 2nd push = IGN, Green LED 3rd push = OFF Brake On, in park: 1st push starts engine, Green LED 2nd all off. Had to loose the steering wheel lock. The rest is 2008 Cadillac CTS Luxury package.

The extra wood trim has to be a custom dash kit. (I looked it up after posting because I had a premium model and did not have the extra wood trim surrounding the shifter and door/cover to the 12v outlet) VERY nice look!

AWESOME job with the push button start conversion there!

Mistercoffee2
10-17-13, 03:13 PM
The extra wood trim has to be a custom dash kit.

It is my understanding this trim level is OEM Premium. I am the second owner.

tinman
10-17-13, 03:26 PM
That means it's readily available somewhere.

jeffc83
10-17-13, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE="Mistercoffee2;11142993"]

It is my understanding this trim level is OEM Premium. I am the second owner.

It just can't be OEM...I had a premium too.

Tinman - there are many websites out there with this kit. It matches the original wood and looks awesome! ( I'm on my phone now but I think its oemdashkits.com or something similar)

Mistercoffee2
10-17-13, 05:24 PM
It just can't be OEM...I had a premium too.

Tinman - there are many websites out there with this kit. It matches the original wood and looks awesome! ( I'm on my phone now but I think its oemdashkits.com or something similar)

You are correct. I went back and looked at the 2008 brochure and I never knew it was not OEM. Cool, I got extras! But, I have no idea where to get the trim.

I have always thought these pieces were plastic and not wood as is the rest of the trim.

jeffc83
10-17-13, 07:03 PM
You are correct. I went back and looked at the 2008 brochure and I never knew it was not OEM. Cool, I got extras! But, I have no idea where to get the trim.

I have always thought these pieces were plastic and not wood as is the rest of the trim.

I love the look! Its a $160+ kit too...Google car dash kit for 08-13 CTS and you'll find it. Between that and the start button, it looks very classy and OEM at that!!!

HurstGN
10-24-13, 07:19 PM
OK, so back to this customized start button. What's it going to take to sell us the controller, software and installation instructions? That's a VERY NICE setup!!

Mistercoffee2
10-25-13, 12:59 AM
OK, so back to this customized start button. What's it going to take to sell us the controller, software and installation instructions? That's a VERY NICE setup!!

This is not for the weak hearted:

1. The steering wheel lock has to be removed. (Ignition stay in OFF position but remains completely functional if needed)

2. Install Pushbutton in center console.

3. Install switch in center console to detect Park.

4. Install switch in drivers seat to detect Driver.

5. Tap 6 lines from Ignition Switch

6. Taps for brake, 12V and ground.

I had three boards made for $60 more then a year ago. They were prototypes and I used one which ended up being heavily modified so the changes have to be applied to the drawings and a production version would have to be ordered.

I have never added up the cost of parts, box, connectors, but I'm guessing between $125 - $150 with the most expensive part being the BS2 Processor for $50.

The pushbutton mounting is one off, hand made from nickel silver. The switch is ACDelco 20911718. I got mine from Amazon $16.26. One must be committed to the project when it's time to cut a 1" hole in the top of the center console to mount the switch. The eBrake opening is too small. Other switches may be available that will fit the opening. I also considered dash mounting the start button.

It took months. I could duplicate the controller but not the Pushbutton mounting. The seat switch was hard to do dependably. I first tried a magnetic proximity switch first but the most dependable was the membrane switch from the CTS trunk release. Using magnetic proximity switch for Park sensor was easy. All other taps were easy. Doing the software was fun and updates are applied with laptop.

Probably more then you wanted to know.