: 2002 Cadillac Escalade EXT 6.0 - Air Compressor

shnackle
06-15-13, 01:27 PM
If there is a similar post, I'd appreciate it. I couldn't find one.

A few months ago any time the AC or heat was on, I'd hear a loud clicking noise coming from the engine compartment. I had my mechanic look at it and he immediately said it was the compressor and wanted a large sum of money to replace it. He also indicated that it would be fine to run it that way and perhaps go through the summer with it. He replaced the belt and sent me on my way. Well, now it's not working and upon inspection I found that the belt has snapped. My first thought is that the compressor had seized. I reached in and can easily turn it and the adjacent pulley with no issue.

I'd like to do this work myself.

My questions:

1. How do I know if the compressor is really bad or if it's something else?

2. I know the basics concerning compressor replacement. If it is a bad compressor, does anyone have experience with this specific animal and could either give me a link or a basic overview? Given it's location, I'd like to avoid pitfalls.

Any information would be wonderful.

Thanks

Pitbull14218
06-15-13, 09:55 PM
If your AC system is empty or low on refrigerant the compressor won't turn on.

Also you probably spun the compressor clutch/pulley which isn't actually spinning the compressor itself.

I'd check the pressures in the system first. Maybe buy a recharge kit that has the pressure gauge and see if maybe its just empty.

shnackle
06-15-13, 10:34 PM
Good point. I should have tested it with a ratchet.

Also good idea on the recharge kit with pressure gauge. I'll try that and report back. The air was really nice and cold before it stopped working so I don't know that it was leaking but Ill check regardless.

Thank you!

Pitbull14218
06-16-13, 12:03 PM
No problem, I do AC for a living so ill try to help you if I can.

shnackle
06-18-13, 12:45 AM
After confirming that the compressor was in fact spinning freely, I took my EXT down to the mechanic shop to have them test the freon level and also put a new belt on. The freon was a tad bit low. They removed all the freon and recharged completely.

Now unfortunately all I get it warm air to slightly cool air coming out. Perhaps over or under filled it?

The only good news I have is that I no longer hear the clicking noise but I still wonder if the compressor is even moving.

Thanks for your advise so far Pitbull. Any additional information you feel like imparting would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

the cadillac man
06-18-13, 01:39 PM
After confirming that the compressor was in fact spinning freely, I took my EXT down to the mechanic shop to have them test the freon level and also put a new belt on. The freon was a tad bit low. They removed all the freon and recharged completely.

Now unfortunately all I get it warm air to slightly cool air coming out. Perhaps over or under filled it?

The only good news I have is that I no longer hear the clicking noise but I still wonder if the compressor is even moving.

Thanks for your advise so far Pitbull. Any additional information you feel like imparting would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

I would watch the compressor as the truck is running to see if it engages if not I would go back to that shop and let them know that someone messed up(this is way I only trust my local gm dealer with this stuff)

shnackle
06-19-13, 08:12 PM
I observed the AC compressor while the car was on and AC instrument flipped on and the compressor never switches on. The result is warm air coming out of the vents. I can still turn the compressor by hand. I'd hate to buy a new compressor and find that this one is not bad. Could it be a relay?

Thanks

the cadillac man
06-19-13, 08:42 PM
I observed the AC compressor while the car was on and AC instrument flipped on and the compressor never switches on. The result is warm air coming out of the vents. I can still turn the compressor by hand. I'd hate to buy a new compressor and find that this one is not bad. Could it be a relay?

Thanks

It is either too low or too full on freon have it checked at a gm dealer

shnackle
06-19-13, 11:52 PM
Ill do it and report back. Thanks.

the cadillac man
06-20-13, 12:59 AM
Ill do it and report back. Thanks.

Keep me posted

Pitbull14218
06-24-13, 01:38 PM
If its over filled it can cause the compressor to stay off and if its too low on charge it can also keep the compressor from turning on. You'd need to have gauges to see if its too high or too low on charge.

Regular automechanics don't know A/C that well, they most likely only know you need refrigerant in the system lol.

A dealer would have a machine that can do everything for the tech to make it less complicated.

Silent_Assasin
06-26-13, 11:40 PM
I also have noticed a clicking noise here the last few times I first start my truck in the morning!...It wasnt doing this at all before but now it has a nice pretty loud clicking noise every morning when first started...Even though it only last for maybe a minute or two, its annoying me!...it usually works itself out by the time I get all the way down my street!...I originally thought it was a belt/pully or something since my A/C isnt even on when i first start my truck, but i was informed that GM's compressor kicks on anyways when the A/C isnt even on!...So what exactly do i need to look into fixing to get rid of this horrible short lived clicking noise??....By the way my a/c works perfectly fine blows ice cold at all times! so should I not worry about it or is there a easy/cheap fix? ...Thanks guys...

the cadillac man
06-27-13, 12:16 AM
I also have noticed a clicking noise here the last few times I first start my truck in the morning!...It wasnt doing this at all before but now it has a nice pretty loud clicking noise every morning when first started...Even though it only last for maybe a minute or two, its annoying me!...it usually works itself out by the time I get all the way down my street!...I originally thought it was a belt/pully or something since my A/C isnt even on when i first start my truck, but i was informed that GM's compressor kicks on anyways when the A/C isnt even on!...So what exactly do i need to look into fixing to get rid of this horrible short lived clicking noise??....By the way my a/c works perfectly fine blows ice cold at all times! so should I not worry about it or is there a easy/cheap fix? ...Thanks guys...

Most likely its low on freon I would have the system checked soon

The ac compressor is on full time only if the fan knob is in auto mode if it isn't then you can turn the ac compressor on with the button

Silent_Assasin
06-28-13, 12:01 AM
Most likely its low on freon I would have the system checked soon

The ac compressor is on full time only if the fan knob is in auto mode if it isn't then you can turn the ac compressor on with the button

K i will have them check, but what exactly do you mean by if the auto mode is on?...when I do use a/c I use the auto, but its never on when I first start my truck! I ALWAYS have to turn it on after starting the truck! And I ALWAYS make sure I shut my air off before shutting off my truck also! .....

the cadillac man
06-28-13, 10:42 AM
K i will have them check, but what exactly do you mean by if the auto mode is on?...when I do use a/c I use the auto, but its never on when I first start my truck! I ALWAYS have to turn it on after starting the truck! And I ALWAYS make sure I shut my air off before shutting off my truck also! .....

The hvac system has a auto mode that turns the ac on if needed depending on the outside and cabin temp but I was told at my local dealer that the 02 has the ac compressor running no matter if the light on the hvac controls is lit or not when in auto mode

Pitbull14218
06-29-13, 12:50 PM
The clicking is the compressor clutch/pulley engauaging the compressor, thats normal but if you hear it often then your compressor is short cycling due to either low charge or too high of charge/dirty condenser.