: Honda's Full Size Truck! Ugly As The Element!

Ralph
02-04-05, 01:05 AM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8069&sid=275&n=157

What other vehicle does this pic remind you of????

Night Wolf
02-04-05, 01:28 AM
heh, I just read the artical today in my new Automobile mag.

not something i would ever buy, for many reasons.... but fro the sound of it, it seems like a nice car/truck for someone interested in that kind of car....

davesdeville
02-04-05, 01:44 AM
May be uglier than the Element.

Ralph
02-04-05, 01:51 AM
Ya but doesn't that pic remind you of the Avalanche?? Or an EXT? I think they are copying to a degree.

A V6? :histeric: For a 4400 pound vehicle! :eek: No wonder the mileage is terrible for it because the engine is probably strained.

Jesda
02-04-05, 01:55 AM
Enough torque to haul three bags of groceries and some dog food. Damn it, Honda, what the hell?

danbuc
02-04-05, 03:57 AM
:wtf: That's like sticking the 3.6L from a CTS in an EXT, and expecting people to buy it. The people who buy pickup trucks, buy them because they have V8's, are powerful, and can tow lots, and lots of really heavy s**t. Granted, we made an I4, and V6 S10 Extreme, but I don't consider those pickups. More or less cars, with two seats, and a cargo bed in the back. Ford also has a 4.2L V6 F150, but anyone buying an F150 using it as a Pickup truck, and not a big car is going to get a V8. There is no f**kin' way that wimpy little 255hp V6 is towing anything you would use a pickup truck to tow. You can defintely tell that the engine is working overtime in that truck. 16mpg city and 21mpg highway? My V8 with almost 50hp more gets 24mpg on the highway, and my car still weighs 4000lbs. Even the 5.6L V8 in the Titan (305hp/379lb ft of torque) is still getting 14mpg city and 19mpg highway. That's only 2mpg lower than the Honda and it's making 50hp more and 127 lb ft of torque more. Nissan actually took the time to research what they were doing, which is why the Titan is such a nice truck. Until Honda engineers a descent V8, they are never going to make it in the American truck market. If you want to compete, you need a V8.

lux hauler
02-04-05, 11:58 AM
I think it's gunna sell well. I don't care for the styling but I think lots of people will buy it just for Honda's reliability.

Rolex
02-04-05, 12:55 PM
Ya but doesn't that pic remind you of the Avalanche

This was my first impression EXACTLY. It looks like an Avalanche Mini-me. :disappoin When we bought my wife's Accord last year the Dealer told me they were coming out with a truck. This is not at all what I expected/hoped for. I guess I figured it would favor the Honda Pilot more. No offense to any Avalanche owners, but I think this "styling" is plain ugly. It doesn't help that it is underpowered and doesn't get great mileage either. I agree with what's been said, I believe people will buy these trucks because of Honda's reputation.....I won't be driving one any time soon though.

Elvis
02-04-05, 01:38 PM
I don't think it's that ugly, and it's obvious they're stealing the Avalanche look.

I wouldn't buy one, and don't know any hardcore truck enthusiasts in my circle who would buy one either. It was a huge leap for one of them to consider the big Tundra. It only lasted a couple years, and he jumped right back to a Sierra. Nothing against quality, he said. He just felt better in a GM.

Night Wolf
02-04-05, 03:19 PM
it is 255hp... I don't remember the torque numbers.

it is a transversly mounted V6... that is the only enigne option, the only transmission is an auto (5spd IIRC) and the only drivetrain is 4WD... user selectable and you can route up to 70% of the torque to the rear wheels.

it is a uni-body design 4 wheel independent suspension... brand new interrior... Honda took what they had and tried to make a car to fit a market that people wanted.

it is rated at 1,100lbs payload... 1/2 ton.... and can tow up to 5,000lbs... under the bed is a weather proof 8.5 cubic foot compartment for something like a cooler.. or anything else... and there is a drain so you can use the compartment as a cooler itself.... the spare tire is also under the bed.

it is only offered in 1 model... 4 door full cab and a 5 foot bed... this is NOT a HD work truck, an off-road warrior or anything like that... it is for the people.... 80% of people... that buy trucks and SUV's and go to the super market, or maybe even go on a gravel road every once in a while.

They said since it is unibody.. bed is built in, it felt very solid over bumps and stuff...

new Automobile artical talks about it....

Ralph
02-04-05, 03:39 PM
I suppose I should clarify something. I make no apologies for finding the Avalanche Very ugly! That's my personal opinion and I won't take it back. :sneaky: Having said that, I find the EXT 100 times better looking than the Honda Full-size and my dislike has to do mostly with all the side plastic cladding Chev puts on them. True, the Honda doesn't have the side-cladding like the Avalanche but I just cannot get past how much the Honda Fullsize has styling cues from the Element! Plus the fact they seemed to rip-off the general styling of Chev and it's so obvious.

I have no doubts people will buy it for the name alone, but that has to be the only reason.

D148L0
02-04-05, 03:49 PM
I don't think it's that ugly, and it's obvious they're stealing the Avalanche look.

I wouldn't buy one, and don't know any hardcore truck enthusiasts in my circle who would buy one either. It was a huge leap for one of them to consider the big Tundra. It only lasted a couple years, and he jumped right back to a Sierra. Nothing against quality, he said. He just felt better in a GM.
:yeah:

Ralph
02-04-05, 03:59 PM
it is 255hp... I don't remember the torque numbers.

From my link:

2006 Honda Ridgeline
Base price: $28,000-$32,000 (estimated)
Engine: 3.5-liter V-6, 255 hp/252 lb-ft
Transmission: Five-speed automatic, all-wheel drive
Length x width x height: 206.8 x 76.3 x 70.3 inches
Wheelbase: 122.0 inches
Curb weight: 4498 lb
Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): 16/21 mpg
Safety equipment: Dual front airbags, side airbags and side curtain airbags; anti-lock brakes; stability control
Major standard equipment: AM/FM/CD player; power locks/windows/mirrors; air conditioning; tire-pressure monitor
Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles

Pricing announced today:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8082

airbalancer
02-04-05, 08:37 PM
You can get the Avalanche without the side plastic cladding for a couple years already

danbuc
02-04-05, 09:15 PM
Night Wolf, the people who buy small trucks, and Suv's to drive to the supermarket, do not buy pickup trucks. They buy things like the Element, TrailBlazer, Explorer, Escape,...ect. I'm sure it's a great product. The problem is that people who like Honda's for their reliability, are not tyhe kind of people who buy pickup trucks. People who buy pickup trucks, are not the kind of people who buy Honda's. That's the point I'm trying to make. They are marketing this truck to the wrong type of people. No soccer mom is going to buy this, and use it to go to the grocery store, and bring here kids to school and practic. No self respecting truck enthusiest, is going to take this truck to the local hardware store, and pickup a load of drywall, and an a bunch of plywood for that house they're building. This concept is inbetween both markets, when it should have only gone one way. Honda may have had a good idea, but they really didn't push it far enough. That's all I'm saying.

Playdrv4me
02-04-05, 09:17 PM
While I consider the current Tundra a joke in comparison to the current crop of Domestic brawlers, Nissan has absolutely scored a deafening blow to the domestics with the Titan. Every detail in the Titan is designed with FUNCTIONALITY in mind, the operative word in a truck. Matched up with an AWESOME 305HP V8 and the right towing capacity with a usable interior, its a force to be reckoned with. Once Toyota comes out with their 2006 replacement (to be built in San Antonio) to trump Nissan in their ever constant battle against eachother, it may really be all bets off...

P.S. The Ridgeline isnt even a joke... its a bad punchline.

Ralph
02-04-05, 09:29 PM
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/040105-14.htm

Here's what Toyota is planning for a Tundra replacement. It looks huge.

majax
02-04-05, 11:08 PM
That Tundra looks horrible inside. Though that is the concept and the real thing will be toned down and more practicle.

Ridgeline is a bad idea. Honda needs to stay with making great cars and maybe a SUV here and there. When most companies start selling things that do not fit their usuall product, they loose money. When Snapple first came out with 1 or 2 flavors they sold great, but then they increased the flavor amount and their profits droped.

GM needs a new truck line up big time! Someone has to break up this war between Toyota and Nissan.

Playdrv4me
02-05-05, 01:04 AM
I agree about Honda 100 percent man. It is absolutely astonishing to me, that they would have the ballz to even ATTEMPT a full size truck when they STILL havent figured out how to build a damn V8... absolutely hilarious. Honda, lets go back to car school... learn how to make the engine first... then you can play around with the rest of your fantasies.

I think GM and Ford's truck lines are pretty strong as they are... GM's biggest shortfall is the interiors, when I drive the Tahoes, Yukons, Escalades and HD Trucks, I feel like ive stepped back into the 1980's everytime.

BTW... That Toyota concept looks like it jumped out of a Comic Book... its hideous and I sure as heck hope the production version is toned down, that thing looks like a pregnant bubble.

Ralph
02-05-05, 06:56 PM
BTW... That Toyota concept looks like it jumped out of a Comic Book... its hideous and I sure as heck hope the production version is toned down, that thing looks like a pregnant bubble.

Most likely they will put a V8 into it because they already make them. At least that makes it seem more appealing than the Honda IMO.

evilrussian
02-05-05, 07:03 PM
I think that this Honda truck was aimed at current die-hard Honda car owners/rednecks in a closet, who in fact would be too embarrased to buy a REAL truck from another manufacturer but this one would just fit the bill... Brand loyalty is what everybody is forgetting about. Honda is just testing the waters with this one, I'm sure a bigger six or a NEW V8 is on the way. Just wait I guarantee that Honda-Truck thing is gonna take off IMO...

davesdeville
02-06-05, 05:12 PM
Just wait I guarantee that Honda-Truck thing is gonna take off IMO...

Maybe... but talk about starting off on the wrong foot. :nono:

illumina
02-07-05, 12:12 AM
If throwing as many random sqaures together and placing a set of wheels on this truck was Honda's goal, they've succeeded admirably. I just feel sorry for the American public that actually will buy this thing...No i don't.

I can just see the age group that will buy into this thing: young (20ish) idiots that will ruin the looks of the truck by attaching the largest wing they can find...The "ruin the looks" bit was a joke. I think a wing will help improve this truck a lot: perhaps it will be able to fly off of a building and burn.

NewCaddyFan
02-07-05, 09:56 AM
I think it's gunna sell well. I don't care for the styling but I think lots of people will buy it just for Honda's reliability.

I agree, it will be a grocery hauler for many.

Ralph
08-02-05, 02:08 AM
"Early sales of Honda's Ridgeline truck disappoint; high prices pegged as main problem"

"The innovative V-6 pickup costs about $10,000 more than other compact trucks in the United States. And that is hurting sales, says Koichi Kondo, president of American Honda Motor Co.

He says Honda could put incentives on it if sales continue to disappoint, but it won't do so immediately. Honda typically uses cut-rate financing, subsidized leases and dealer cash to boost sales.

"We will take measures if needed," Kondo said at a press event in Tokyo two weeks ago.

Although incentives could spur sales, Roland doesn't want to see Honda employ the tactic. He favors a more drastic approach: "I feel that they ought to drop the price - period."

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102883

ben72227
08-02-05, 09:06 PM
It costs too much for a V6 pickup truck period. I'd rather get a REAL truck, like a TOYOTA Tacoma/Hilux...:lildevil:

Ralph
08-02-05, 09:07 PM
I'd rather get a REAL truck

Or a Ford, Dodge or GMC. :devil:

powerglide
08-03-05, 01:13 AM
yeah La Jolla!

...anyways, I think its pretty nice. I seriously considered it for a while, even test drove it. Really quite decent, if the interior was more luxurious and if you could buy one in black/black, I might have pulled the trigger.

Jesda
08-03-05, 08:13 AM
Consider yourselves OWNED!
http://www.internationaldelivers.com/assets/news/Articles/images/cxt-red-2.jpg