: Power steering pump issues

JFensty
06-15-13, 12:39 PM
After a brief session of donuts and drifting in a parking lot, my power steering pump was screaming. Flushed and replaced fluid. No dice. Replaced pump and flushed all fluid. Fast forward less than 6 months to current day. Get in start the car this morning and its whining again. Fluid is light brown but doesn't smell burnt. I will try and flush again today, however, is there a higher quality fluid that will stand up to the heat or higher rpm? I have 1/4 mi tracked the car, but other than, that no track days, just spirited daily driving.

BTW, the track event was a week ago with close to 500 miles put on the car since with no noise from the pump.

Should I be looking into the larger ps cooler that others have done? Or possibly just a bad pump? Is an under drive PS pulley available to slow the pump down some with higher rpm use?

darkman
06-15-13, 12:51 PM
There is the GM Cold Climate Fluid (Part No. 12345866) which is a synthetic blend, which is better suited for both lower and higher temperature operation than the GM standard fluid. And Amsoil, Redline, and others offer full synthetic fluids which will withstand more heat than the GM standard fluid.

If you are going track the car, I would add a larger cooler.

JFensty
06-16-13, 02:04 PM
I start the car today little to no whine. Yet, screamed like a b*tch all day yesterday. Going to flush today to get the burnt fluid out then replace with a synthetic.

JFensty
06-16-13, 02:06 PM
I still am unsure how daily driving and no real sustained rpm can burn the fluid like that. The cooler may be a good idea, however, I don't want to cover a potential issue.

darkman
06-16-13, 05:34 PM
I still am unsure how daily driving and no real sustained rpm can burn the fluid like that. The cooler may be a good idea, however, I don't want to cover a potential issue.

I have forgotten the source, but I have read that the power steering pump in the V is dramatically undersized, and therefore overstressed.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-16-13, 07:15 PM
I used to have that screaming noise when it was cold, then it would go away. Eventually though after all of the track abuse, etc. the pump went out. If I could do it all over again, I would've put on the larger cooler I have a run Amsoil from the beginning. I eventually had the rack fail as well which the bad pump probably didn't help with. Also, the bad rack broke where it mounts to the subframe which added a shit ton to the cost...

Anyway, if you do end up having to replace the PS pump, don't forget to drain the fluid first unless you want to buy a new alternator too. Ask me how I know this... lol

JFensty
06-16-13, 11:37 PM
Flushed it today and all is good. I guess I will get the cooler just for insurance.
And yes, I read your thread about the alt. Collateral damage sucks....