: Northstar Performance rebuilt engine

jeramico
06-15-13, 10:43 AM
I had Northstar Performance install one of their "factory spec" rebuilt engines in my 1998 STS end Jan 2013.
From day one this engine is using one litre of oil approx. every 350 kms.
Northstar Performance's response has been very limited ignoring the majority of my phone calls, emails or text messenging regarding this engine.
So now I'm looking for an economical way to correct the oil usage which I think is valve seals or offer the STS for sale. No reasonable offer refused.

JoeTahoe
06-15-13, 10:48 AM
how many kms are on the engine since install

vincentm
06-15-13, 11:20 AM
Try messaging Jake:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=52265

(http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=52265)

Submariner409
06-15-13, 02:10 PM
Oil usage analysis - blue smoke at startup which clears in several seconds is usually valve stem seals. Blue smoke all the time is usually piston rings, and copious amounts of blue smoke after a forced coast down or long coast down a mountain road is either valve stem seals and/or rings.

Oil drips on the ground is a totally different subject.

Overfilling the oil pan on a Northstar usually leads to excessive oil consumption - you can safely, and to advantage, carry the oil level at the bottom <=== ADD XXXXXXXXXX == area of the dipstick hashmark.

I assume you're using the proper 10W-30 oil in whatever type floats your boat ??? Is the engine babied, or do you regulary run the living stink out of it ?? (Read and study the entire Cadillac Techical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar.)

jeramico
06-15-13, 03:05 PM
there is less than 20,000 kms ,runs good , check eng light on but no codes

----------

don't think I'll be talking to Jake he is the one did rebuild/install

JoeTahoe
06-15-13, 03:12 PM
as sub says use the lower hash marks on the dip stick and defiantly get ahold of jake. If the check engine light is on it has codes

jeramico
06-15-13, 03:20 PM
Jake is the one did rebuild and install won't talk to me

----------

lots blue smoke when u coast then accelerate yes using proper oil after rebuilt eng installed drove 700 kms and low oil message came on

97EldoCoupe
06-15-13, 03:46 PM
Maybe if 26 voicemails after 5pm were not left calling me "Joke Wiebe" I might have more courtesy toward you.

No engine will burn a quart in 300 miles unless someone forgot to install the piston rings. You told me all spark plugs came out clean with no build-up. You mentioned no blue smoke when I first asked you. Then changed your mind about that later. I had an oil burning Olds 403 that blew blue smoke constantly and it never one consumed that much oil.

I've dealt with you as far as I will. You've been a problem from the day you showed up at the shop, You've been rude, you blamed us for a leaking power steering line, you blamed us for a leaking oil pressure switch (it happens, it's mechanical, there were no leaks when you left here at all,) you blamed us for a blown radiator hose. It looked to be in good condition, no soft spots. Everything is deemed our fault by people who don't understand we are dealing with older vehicles.

Some people look for trouble and look to nitpick at everything. I will always have customers like you as long as I'm in this business. I'm not in business to make unhappy people happy. I'm in business to fix a widespread problem for those who appreciate it. Plain and simple.

I have nothing more to say. Ignorance and bitterness is not something I'm qualified of repairing. For that you will need to see a professional in a different field.

jeramico
06-16-13, 11:56 AM
it is your rebuilt engine so you know what you did or didn't do and yes lm very frustrated with your lack of response for 4 1/2 months, you have ignored this problem right from the start. I can prove all the oil .consumed by receipts You have never dealt with any of my problems since I left your shop end Jan.
It appears you hear only what you want to hear and everyone else is to blame. Seems its your way or the highway and when you translate your warranty its 30 feet or 30 seconds. And for my phone call and Cadillac forum its the only way l could any response from you be it good or bad

jeramico
04-04-14, 06:56 PM
Just wish to inform all that once l provided necessary documents showing oil consumption Jake responded instantly, took my car in, did some tests and found factory default with the PCV valve. He ordered necessary parts and took care of the problem. Jake and l are on good terms once
again. To sum it up l would have no one other than Jake working on my engine and any time in the future if l require engine service Jake Wiebe
Northstar Performance will be the go-to guy.

JoeTahoe
04-04-14, 08:03 PM
glad to hear. Enjoy that engine

Ranger
04-04-14, 08:54 PM
Amazing what a little courteous conversation can accomplish. Glad it all work out and thanks for the feedback. Time for a group hug. :grouphug:

97EldoCoupe
04-05-14, 05:56 PM
Thank you Jeramico.

I don't know where you served but I know you have served our country. Thank you for all you have done to keep our land free.

If you ever buy another Cadillac for yourself or a family member; I will remember you when it comes to writing up the invoice. You will be getting a slight discount. I won't promise how much but just mention your name and I won't forget. 2 months from now or 10 years.

Take care-

Charlie5280
04-05-14, 07:17 PM
Good to hear this was rectified

98Geldog
08-09-14, 02:22 PM
Factory default with pcv valve? Was the valve bad or was it internal?

Submariner409
08-09-14, 02:45 PM
Find the long thread by AJXTCMAN titled "A river runs through it" to learn about Northstars, PCV systems and cam cover oil baffles.

Most of the engines have the rattle style of valve, later (2000+ ?) have a fixed orifice in the dirty air line.

pedaltheglobe
08-10-14, 03:22 AM
Maybe if 26 voicemails after 5pm were not left calling me "Joke Wiebe" I might have more courtesy toward you.

I almost woke the house up I LOLed so hard when I read this. Glad you two got it sorted out.

Submariner409
08-10-14, 11:51 AM
pedal, You hit the Report (!) icon, lower left corner of a post, again and sent it to the Admin forums.

pedaltheglobe
08-10-14, 08:56 PM
pedal, You hit the Report (!) icon, lower left corner of a post, again and sent it to the Admin forums.
There is no report icon in the lower left corner of the posts on my screen. I am using the cadillacforums app. There must be some sort of glitch. I have been very cautious as to the first time you mentioned it so I am quite sure I didn't accidentally hit it this time. I recently updated to the newest version of android. Perhaps the app is not compatible and there are issues?

Ranger
08-10-14, 09:25 PM
Perhaps the app is not compatible and there are issues?
I think you may be correct. You are not the first and won't be the last.

pedaltheglobe
08-10-14, 09:31 PM
I think you may be correct. You are not the first and won't be the last.
I will remove and reinstall the app tonight. Let me know via PM if there continues to be issues. If so I will just use my web browser on the phone until the app is updated to be compatible with the newest version of android.

Submariner409
08-11-14, 09:47 AM
pedal - I replied to your PM. Just for grins, click your own username and scroll down the list of your posts - you'll find the two that were inadvertently reported to the spam forum.

Phone apps and their quirks are out of my realm - I'm a keyboard pecker with an old Nokia cell phone that is the equivalent of beer cans on a waxed string for communication.

04GrandAmGT
08-11-14, 10:04 AM
I'm a keyboard pecker with an old Nokia cell phone that is the equivalent of beer cans on a waxed string for communication.

:cool: LOL