: Rear door lock actuator

rekctsv
06-15-13, 02:28 AM
Has anyone had to replace a rear door lock actuator? I searched here and google and can't find anything.

I took my car to the dealership last Saturday for servicing and showed them the rear door lock that works sometimes. They said the actuator was going bad. Then after checking, they came back and told me that it is not covered under warranty and would cost $400.

My car turned 4 years old in March so that ended the factory warranty but I purchased Certified Preowned, and it is under warranty until 2015 or 100,000 miles but this isn't covered. That's very disappointing. Makes me question my decision to go back to the dealership for all servicing just so there is no questioning warranty issues and keeping the car stock. Am I kidding myself and wasting my money on servicing I could do myself. We're talking a $110 oil change, $279 for a transmission service, and $169 to change the rear end fluid. All things I did myself on the V1(after that warranty ended).
Now I feel like saying screw the warranty and start modding the car.

Anyway, enough of my b*tching. Has anyone had to change a lock actuator?

OldRoadDawg
06-15-13, 10:43 AM
I don't recall reading of anyone else having a problem with the lock actuator.

My B to B warranty expires at the end of July and rolls over to GMPP Major Guard. I'd be pissed if told that something like this wasn't covered under CPO or GMPP warranty and would press the issue or try another dealer. All that being said, I'm going to have to read the micro-fine print on my GMPP contract for exclusions.

Is the majority of that $400 repair for labor? I'm thinking the actuator shouldn't be that much hassle to change after popping the door panel off.

Trapspeed
06-15-13, 11:20 AM
The only door I had any issues with was the driver door. Occasionally, it didn't "know" I opened it and the radio stayed on until it timed out.

rekctsv
06-15-13, 01:10 PM
I don't recall reading of anyone else having a problem with the lock actuator.

My B to B warranty expires at the end of July and rolls over to GMPP Major Guard. I'd be pissed if told that something like this wasn't covered under CPO or GMPP warranty and would press the issue or try another dealer. All that being said, I'm going to have to read the micro-fine print on my GMPP contract for exclusions.

Is the majority of that $400 repair for labor? I'm thinking the actuator shouldn't be that much hassle to change after popping the door panel off.

I guess the responses and lack there of explains why I couldnt find anything in 2 days of searching.
Maybe I'm the 1st with the problem and it wasn't covered by the warranty so no one had to worry with replacement.

Majority of the cost is labor, the part was like $60.

RGaret
06-15-13, 05:38 PM
I guess the responses and lack there of explains why I couldnt find anything in 2 days of searching.
Maybe I'm the 1st with the problem and it wasn't covered by the warranty so no one had to worry with replacement.

Majority of the cost is labor, the part was like $60.

I would try and change it myself. How hard can that be? Remove door panel and swap it out. Also, I would complain to someone higher up at GM. What good is CPO if there are exclusions to the coverage.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-15-13, 06:31 PM
Has anyone had to replace a rear door lock actuator? I searched here and google and can't find anything.

I took my car to the dealership last Saturday for servicing and showed them the rear door lock that works sometimes. They said the actuator was going bad. Then after checking, they came back and told me that it is not covered under warranty and would cost $400.

My car turned 4 years old in March so that ended the factory warranty but I purchased Certified Preowned, and it is under warranty until 2015 or 100,000 miles but this isn't covered. That's very disappointing. Makes me question my decision to go back to the dealership for all servicing just so there is no questioning warranty issues and keeping the car stock. Am I kidding myself and wasting my money on servicing I could do myself. We're talking a $110 oil change, $279 for a transmission service, and $169 to change the rear end fluid. All things I did myself on the V1(after that warranty ended).
Now I feel like saying screw the warranty and start modding the car.

Hello rekctsv,

I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your CTS-V’s rear door lock actuator and the dealership informing you that it wasn’t covered under your CPO warranty. Can you private message me with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership so that I can look more into this issue for you? I would like to call and speak with the dealership about this and gather more information. Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

lanceomni
09-18-13, 08:40 PM
This is now an issue with my 08 CTS. The OP mentioned that he had the CPO warranty. Is that the same as GMPP? I have GMPP and plan on taking it in tomorrow and would like to have a heads up.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-18-13, 09:53 PM
This is now an issue with my 08 CTS. The OP mentioned that he had the CPO warranty. Is that the same as GMPP? I have GMPP and plan on taking it in tomorrow and would like to have a heads up.
Hello lanceomni,

I have received your private message and I wanted to let you know that I responded to you. Please let me know if you do not receive it. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

1997BlackETC
09-19-13, 01:10 AM
The Pontiac G8's I use to drive had a lot of problems with those, it was generally always the passenger rear door for some reason, but could happen on anyone of the doors. Really not too bad to change at least on those cars, I did one, just pop the panel, remove the actuator and linkage install the new one and pop back on the panel, at least for the G8's you could get them dirt cheap on ebay.

BillGS
11-19-13, 04:29 AM
Has anyone had to replace a rear door lock actuator? Now I feel like saying screw the warranty and start modding the car.

I just had to replace my rear door latch because the door lift rod servo failed to open the lift rod. I have the extended warranty but I was told it is not covered. I wonder how may other non wear items are "not covered".

I ended buying a latch from GM and installing it myself - pretty easy since I don't have the power door latch option. $100 cost vs. $300 dealer. Makes you wonder what extended warranties are worth since you don't know what is really covered.

Trapspeed
11-19-13, 07:24 AM
I just had to replace my rear door latch because the door lift rod servo failed to open the lift rod. I have the extended warranty but I was told it is not covered. I wonder how may other non wear items are "not covered". I ended buying a latch from GM and installing it myself - pretty easy since I don't have the power door latch option. $100 cost vs. $300 dealer. Makes you wonder what extended warranties are worth since you don't know what is really covered.

Which warranty do you have? Mine started doing this over the weekend.

GrayGhost
07-17-14, 03:03 PM
Does anyone have a link or instructions to remove rear interior door panel? I am having same problem with actuator not working and need to replace, yet don't want to accidentally break any trim pieces in the process.

rekctsv
07-17-14, 10:28 PM
Does anyone have a link or instructions to remove rear interior door panel? I am having same problem with actuator not working and need to replace, yet don't want to accidentally break any trim pieces in the process.
I used the youtube video below. It is for the front door but the rear is almost identical.
Be prepared for a challenge with the rear actuator, you have to remove and install it all by feel, blindly. There's no way to look inside like I was able to when I changed my front door actuator.

http://youtu.be/3mFNcsSXeWE

GrayGhost
07-18-14, 05:06 PM
Thanks!