: 2008 exhaust resonator rattling in side... any diy fix thoughts?

amcon
06-15-13, 01:38 AM
ok, took 2008 srx awd to dealer for what i thought was a converter fix, and it was not the issue...

the resonator is rattling in side. its not the heat shield or any other part.

so my thoughts were to take a self tapping stainless screw with a fender washer and some muffler sealer stuff... and tap it in to the resonator to try to "hook" the rattling thingy in side. figure i will start at the middle left and right, front and back then if needed i would tap one or two in the sides...

what do you think?

----------

ok... additional question what about just removing the resonator and H piping the exhaust?

and would that effect the car getting inspected? emissions test ? im thinking it would be fine cuz its after the cats and no sensors are hooked up to it...

1BadCadSTS
06-15-13, 07:22 AM
Sure the cat didn't break up and get caught in the res?

PJ1520
06-15-13, 09:03 AM
WELCOME AMCON......the last time I had an exhaust system issue with a vehicle that was only 5 model years old was NEVER. If it were me, I'd still be looking for somehing exterior to the cats, etc.for that racket. Short of that, the cats would be my suspicion as well. Can you isolate left or right? In addition, in my house I always have to be cognizant that "someone other than myself" ran over something, paid it no mind, said nothing, and something is now loose, bent, or broken.

orandaberg
06-16-13, 12:26 PM
It does not take much to unbolt the whole exhaust from the car provided you have access to a lift, if you really think its the resonator you can shake it once its off, back to your question of H-pipe, do not know about that but I took out my resonator and have 2.5" x pipe 2.5 " from cat to x-pipe and VT mufflers in the rear.If I am not mistaken its the cats that remove emissions and the resonators just reduce sound. you should still pass the emission test. Please correct me someone if I am wrong.

The Wrench
06-17-13, 06:47 PM
The odds of being able to blindly repair the resonator as described are slim-to-none in my opinion.
If a cat had broken up badly enough to throw big chunks back into the resonator, you would probably be getting a CEL and set code P140 or P160 for insufficient cat performance. The O2 sensor just behind the cat does this job.
Removing the resonator and replacing with pipes should not effect emissions or visual inspection testing, as long as the system is repaired/modified reasonably well, not leaking, and the exhaust is exiting at the rear bumper as designed.
The only issue would be exhaust note, maybe some drone; but if you did install an H-pipe in place of the resonator, that would probably reduce & smooth the exhaust tone, and actually make it sound deeper and better - if you like that sort of stuff on a luxury wagon (I would).

DG

amcon
06-18-13, 12:18 PM
Sure the cat didn't break up and get caught in the res? THANK YOU! never thought of that! that is exactly what it sounds like... and if i can prove that the cats are still under warntee... and the dealer will replace... nice!!!!

WELCOME AMCON......the last time I had an exhaust system issue with a vehicle that was only 5 model years old was NEVER. If it were me, I'd still be looking for somehing exterior to the cats, etc.for that racket. Short of that, the cats would be my suspicion as well. Can you isolate left or right? In addition, in my house I always have to be cognizant that "someone other than myself" ran over something, paid it no mind, said nothing, and something is now loose, bent, or broken. i do understand your point, but it is def ratteling in the resenator... i have been under car, and it sounds like a baby rattle x 10!!!

It does not take much to unbolt the whole exhaust from the car provided you have access to a lift, if you really think its the resonator you can shake it once its off, back to your question of H-pipe, do not know about that but I took out my resonator and have 2.5" x pipe 2.5 " from cat to x-pipe and VT mufflers in the rear.If I am not mistaken its the cats that remove emissions and the resonators just reduce sound. you should still pass the emission test. Please correct me someone if I am wrong. throug all of your input i am going to remove the resonator, empty the contense and im 99.9% im going to find cat pieces in there. and from what i have studied and have found out the resonator can be removed and still pass inspection (nys) as long as the sound isnt crazy... the removal of the res shouldnt increase idle noise, and should only increase heavier gas pedal noise 15 to 20 persent. :-)

The odds of being able to blindly repair the resonator as described are slim-to-none in my opinion.
If a cat had broken up badly enough to throw big chunks back into the resonator, you would probably be getting a CEL and set code P140 or P160 for insufficient cat performance. The O2 sensor just behind the cat does this job.
Removing the resonator and replacing with pipes should not effect emissions or visual inspection testing, as long as the system is repaired/modified reasonably well, not leaking, and the exhaust is exiting at the rear bumper as designed.
The only issue would be exhaust note, maybe some drone; but if you did install an H-pipe in place of the resonator, that would probably reduce & smooth the exhaust tone, and actually make it sound deeper and better - if you like that sort of stuff on a luxury wagon (I would).

DG agreed, it would be a welcom tone!!

----------

thanks guys i will follow up when i have the H-pipe made ... i will install my self.

amcon
07-20-13, 11:48 PM
Ok ill post pics... But i cut it off yesterday pretty simple, emptued the contense.... It was or it looks exactly like 1/4 inch crushed stone... Yep you heard me.... Stones!

So, that being fixed i added 18 inch stock pipe (painted) and 4 band clamps... Small ajustments, and no exhaust leaks...

Issues... Thought the pipes were 2.5 inch but... They were 2 inch diameter... So after getting the correct parts it was a simple put togather of two straight pipes...

The cats /exhaust rises up to the resinator, so the pipes had to be cut directly at the resinator...just means i had a small bend to deal with. Seems fine as i slid a stock straight pipe over each end and added a band clamp to it. Thank you autozone.

As for the back it almost lined up perfectly, it was high by 1.5 inches, so i clamped that junction loosly then tightened the front fully,and then the back clamps last.

As for the over all sound it was exactly the same at at start up,and normal exceleration. "getting on it" the sound was throaty like a V6 import (not like a small block 350 ) and i was very suprised at the difference in the throttle response ! It was extreamly responsive and jumped when i fully excelerated! Before i would wait for the car to move out of its way (it is just a whimpy V6) now it seemed to jump to attention and go!...

I will monitor any increase fuel milage.

The only issue i see is that i have a vibration around 3500 to 3800 that seems to be comimg from the tail pipe area... I will identify it and do whatbis nessary to suppress it. Im sure its some kind of connecttion to the undercarrige or a heat shield that needs some attention.

Over all the terrible vibration sound is gone, and it sounds 15 persent more "throaty" , and a positive noticable throttle response.

Total cost
Two 2 inch straight pipes = 16 dollars
4 band coamps = 41 dollars
Total = less then 60 bucks

amcon
07-21-13, 12:07 AM

amcon
07-25-13, 02:13 PM
further up date...

gained 1.4 miles a gallon, prob actually a bit more i have been a little hard on the gas pedal enjoying the sound... (not the rattling sound - lol)

----------

ok, so i located some of the rattling sound, it was prob doing it before and i just didnt hear it because of the "rocks" in the resenator. there is a heat shield around the spare tire and it was extreamly brittle, broken in numerous spots... so i took the rest of the pieces off.

60% of the rattling sound gone... But on deceleration, from rpms above 4500 i get a vibration from the inside of the muffler(mostly the passenger side) . .. i'm guessing the mufflers are not able to handle the increased air flow and prob needs to be replaced now... i'm going to take it to a local shop that i have had custom exhaust work done on my big block suburban. and see if a x pipe will fix it... (remember its straight piped now) if they think that will NOT solve the problem, the rattle (only on deceleration) is easily liveable.

amcon
10-03-13, 12:55 AM
Update : I just had Fairport ny, custom exhaust Experts hand two magna flow
Mufflers, clean up the straight pipes replacing the resonator... And man it sounds great! Tight Agressive rumble with zero interior drone and at a price that was actually CHEAPER then I could do it my self!

Car sound amazing!

xboxman72
10-10-13, 07:57 AM
How could there be rocks in there?

amcon
10-11-13, 12:51 PM
How could there be rocks in there?

No clue... I'm completely stumped...

glake89
10-11-13, 01:56 PM
Debris from a broken cat, or childish prank.