: How important is a sound system in your car?

orconn
06-14-13, 03:06 PM
If you could buy a car that had all the necessary safety technology, but was designed and built to a truly high standard of quality ..... excellent materials and workmanship, handling characteristics that suited your tastes, beautiful body and interior design and execution .... but it didn't have a sound system, or a lot of other gadgets (not involving comfort and safety) would you consider buying the car?

Would your need for all the latest techno gadgetry eliminate a truly superior, beautiful, high quality automobile from your consideration as a purchase?

Submariner409
06-14-13, 03:26 PM
Car, truck, whatever ........ I'm an audiophile, speaker builder and LP record collector by hobby, so the severe limitations of an automotive "sound system" are a turn-off for me. I can honestly say, with a straight face, that the Bose system in the STS and the Ford system is the trucks is used exclusively for NOAA weather reports and little else.

When I bought the STS in 11/05 I loaded a few favorite CD's into the changer - one was Alan Parsons Eye In The Sky, another was Jefferson Starship, Gold. No amount of tweaking and fiddling with knobs came remotely close to the sonic presentation, tonal accuracy, impact and depth that my listening room tube system can project, so the radio has stayed set to NOAA weather channels 6 or 2 and that's it. Even on a MD - FL trip, we never listen to the radio - we talk to each other (not shout, talk) and listen to the road. Much more relaxing.

Ummmm ............... NO ! I don't sit in the local Burger Doodle parking lot with the trunk open, thumpitybumpity noisemaking with my ghetto blaster boombox.

amunderdog
06-14-13, 04:05 PM
It always wanted to own a Checker Marathon

drewsdeville
06-14-13, 05:32 PM
No amount of tweaking and fiddling with knobs came remotely close to the sonic presentation, tonal accuracy, impact and depth that my listening room tube system can project Well said. solid state has severe limitations, and once you've heard audio through tubes, you become ultra-sensitized to it. Funny how people buy into triple digit solid state wattage, big cables and alternators, and subwoofers when tubes and high quality speakers will annihilate them in fidelity, smoothness, and volume with less power output than a Philips light bulb, isn't it?

thebigjimsho
06-14-13, 07:23 PM
Well said. solid state has severe limitations, and once you've heard audio through tubes, you become ultra-sensitized to it. Funny how people buy into triple digit solid state wattage, big cables and alternators, and subwoofers when tubes and high quality speakers will annihilate them in fidelity, smoothness, and volume with less power output than a Philips light bulb, isn't it?

Great, put it in your car and SHADDUP then...

CTSCHICK
06-14-13, 07:59 PM
Even though i love the smell of warmed. p tubes running in audio equipment I would never want that stuff in my car.
Though one of my petpeeves with the ATS is the lack of good bassy lows.
And I wouldnt buy a car that didnt have a usb and digial media interface type technology

CadillacLuke24
06-14-13, 09:18 PM
If I was looking at a track car for that purpose only, no.

DD or cruiser? Probably would have to have a stereo.

Does it have to be super high quality? No.

77CDV
06-14-13, 10:20 PM
I enjoy listening to music on the road, and I'm ok with good enough sound quality.

Submariner409
06-14-13, 10:24 PM
Automobile audio (< cute words) used to be ..... all tube. I have quite a few Delco vacuum tubes in my collection - from 50's and 60's car radios. For automotive use - radio and CD = background noise, transistor and switching power supply amp audio makes perfect sense. Light, cheap to produce, and - properly executed - makes nice noise.

Tubes are not the be and end-all of audio, but properly designed and built modern tube amps can pump out prodigious 'wattage' (if you believe that wattage hype equates to 'better sound'). BUT vacuum tubes can have less than satisfactory bass control (real bass, not one-note car audio bass) from ~40 hz down ........... So I use a Marchand electronic crossover with 60 hz chips to drive a Rockford 450 wpc bass amp, and that drives two NHT 1249 woofers in 3.6 cu.ft. reflex cabinets. Coupled with my VAC PA 100/100 tube amp from 60 hz up this gives me (hype wattage) 550 wpc, RMS. I can crack plaster if I so choose, but good sound reproduction is NOT about volume - far from it.

This is a horrible picture, but gives a hint of what you can do with bits and pieces - the system is always in a state of flux ...... several changes and upgrades since this was taken .......

MrHolland
06-14-13, 11:15 PM
The new duck 3000 amplifier!!! J/K..

--I don't know that I have ever heard these tubes you speak of.

vincentm
06-14-13, 11:23 PM
Yea, it's important, i think the Bose system in these 90's Cadillacs is good, but GM and Bose couldve at least made some more durable speakers rather than the paper cone crap these have

But i went about this a smart way imo, keeping the factory Bose amps but finding matching speakers

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/285735-bose-speaker-replacement-but-keep-nominal.html

And Tomorrow i'll be topping it off with the following:

http://i44.tinypic.com/34owk6q.jpg

orconn
06-14-13, 11:41 PM
Automobile audio (< cute words) used to be ..... all tube. I have quite a few Delco vacuum tubes in my collection - from 50's and 60's car radios. For automotive use - radio and CD = background noise, transistor and switching power supply amp audio makes perfect sense. Light, cheap to produce, and - properly executed - makes nice noise.

Tubes are not the be and end-all of audio, but properly designed and built modern tube amps can pump out prodigious 'wattage' (if you believe that wattage hype equates to 'better sound'). BUT vacuum tubes can have less than satisfactory bass control (real bass, not one-note car audio bass) from ~40 hz down ........... So I use a Marchand electronic crossover with 60 hz chips to drive a Rockford 450 wpc bass amp, and that drives two NHT 1249 woofers in 3.6 cu.ft. reflex cabinets. Coupled with my VAC PA 100/100 tube amp from 60 hz up this gives me (hype wattage) 550 wpc, RMS. I can crack plaster if I so choose, but good sound reproduction is NOT about volume - far from it.

This is a horrible picture, but gives a hint of what you can do with bits and pieces - the system is always in a state of flux ...... several changes and upgrades since this was taken .......

I am no audiophile, Jim, but I am curious. What exactly does the goose in the bottom right shelve do for system?

Aron9000
06-15-13, 12:54 AM
^I'm more curious about what the urns on top of the speakers do . . .

cadillac kevin
06-15-13, 12:55 AM

They capture all those old pesky sound artifacts that you don't want to hear....duh.....

Submariner409
06-15-13, 09:17 AM
I am no audiophile, Jim, but I am curious. What exactly does the goose in the bottom right shelve do for system?

We ate the goose two years ago - a bit fluffy, but gravy took care of that. The space is now occupied by two (idle) EL-34 mono tube amps that iI occasionally get the hots for and switch out the larger KT-88 stereo amp. (That main amp weighs 74 pounds - yep, 74. Transformers (good transformers) are heavy........... the EL-34's weigh 34 pounds each)............... here they are before I installed the stereo amp...........

(Sorry for the thread hijack ...................)

They're Chinese porcelain from my great-grandmother's home............ and because they sit on top of some pretty hard-driven bass speakers they're sitting on felt feet and each is filled with a mix of fine sand and #7 lead shot............. for weight and damping.

Hoosier Daddy
06-15-13, 09:48 AM
If you could buy a car that had all the necessary safety technology, but was designed and built to a truly high standard of quality ..... excellent materials and workmanship, handling characteristics that suited your tastes, beautiful body and interior design and execution .... but it didn't have a sound system, or a lot of other gadgets (not involving comfort and safety) would you consider buying the car?
Depends on what you mean by a sound system. As long as it has some speakers and a way to play music on SD or USB or bluetooth, that's all I care about. Just so I can make out the words and the notes.

As already mentioned, a car is never going to be a great place to listen to music, so the system doesn't much matter.

I look at HP about the same. Even the fastest cars can provide over 1 G for very short periods and only at low speeds. An econobox braking or turning will out G a supercar's forward acceleration. So satisfying acceleration is as non-existant in a car as beautiful sound. I was used to 2.x second 0-60s with bikes but even that wasn't any G's to write home about.

You want some sound and some acceleration but its better to accept the low quality reality of both than waste time or money on "better" mediocrity.

EChas3
06-19-13, 10:48 PM
Although it's not as large a difference as from tube to solid state, most modern amps have eliminated transistors for integrated circuits, i.e. chips. They are cheap, the specs look good, and all too few consumers care about sound quality. Cheap crap rules the market!

orconn
06-20-13, 12:42 AM
Ah the hell with sound systems! The most enjoyable cars I have owned and driven had lousy sound systems. Actually they had no sound system other than the music of their mechanics and the way the felt as they traversed the road. My favorite driving machines .... two of the them didn't have radios ... the third had a a radio bit thieves kept stealing them so its' sound system kept being down graded to what the local car stereo shop had on sale!.

My XK 150 drophead came from the factory with no radio installed, I never had one put the car. I bought a transistorized (new tech at the time) portable to be able to listen to traffic and weather reports otherwise made do with the glories of top down travel, a dual overhead cam six, and the wonderful company of beautiful young ladies.

When I moved up to a Lamborghini 350 GT in the the late 1960's it was more of the same and then some! The raven haired, blue eyed beauty (with a masters degree in Chinese Politics) whom I married, didn't seem to miss the lack of the sound system! It left us time to talk and get to know one another with life long benefits!

The !983 Volkswagen Wolfsburg Scirocco came with a some high falutin' Swiss sound system, supposedly pretty hot stuff at the time (at least the thieves who broke into the car and stole two units thought so). When I replaced the second unit with a lesser but solid unit they still thought it was worth the effort and ripped it and it successor off (lost my comprehensive insurance after the last heft on that car!). It was a great driving, fun car .... but music along with the driving pleasure just wasn't worth the effort!

I prefer my music in the comfort of my own home ... not diluting the pleasure of driving a fine car with another, the pleasure of listening to fine music.

To those stuck in traffic with no other pleasurable outlet, I understand your addiction and pleasure in this past time.
But when I found myself in that situation I would have much rather spent my time on the phone (cell) trying to make money rather than listening to recorded music!

thebigjimsho
06-20-13, 11:09 AM
All you poor saps who wait to get home to enjoy good music. If you're retired and spend all day at home, great!

Hoosier Daddy
06-20-13, 01:06 PM
All you poor saps who wait to get home to enjoy good music. If you're retired and spend all day at home, great!
Shouldn't you be on your cell making money instead of posting? ;)

Me? I'm retired. I wake up every morning with nothing I have to do. And by 5PM half of it is done.

Not really my philosophy but I saw it in someone's forum sig and was waiting for a chance to say it.

drewsdeville
06-20-13, 01:21 PM
All you poor saps who can't wait to listen to good music at home. If you spend all day on the road living off a car and a cell phone, great!

70eldo
06-26-13, 07:21 AM

Would your need for all the latest techno gadgetry eliminate a truly superior, beautiful, high quality automobile from your consideration as a purchase?

You can build in a sound system you like, so I would go ahead with the purchase if that would otherwise fit to be my car.

tanderson2491
06-26-13, 11:25 PM
I like a good sound system in a car. I had a deck speaker that was dying in my 2000 Intrigue not too long after I bought it. Instead of replacing the one stock speaker, I decided to replace them all and get a new head unit (it was also a graduation present for myself). The sound quality is definitely better. At first the deck speakers had enough bass for me (I listen to a lot of pop, dance, techno and dubstep) but I eventually decided to get subs. I run two 10" Infinity speakers off a 600w amp (I know, weaksauce) but it does the job for me.

truckinman
06-27-13, 12:38 PM
Yes. I HAVE to have a decent stereo. Every time i look at a car, the stereo is the first thing I test. The stereo in my new car isn't AS good as the Bose was in my STS, but it's really not bad especially in HD mode. Just wish it had a central subwoofer in the back to free up the tweeters for better highs. But I do like it

In our Rav, I'm very surprised at the clarity of its stereo. Sounds really good. The tweeters in the tops of the door panels are very crisp.

And I DEFINITELY couldn't have my semi without a stereo. And the one in my 2014 Pete sounds great surprisingly. Has 2 different subs. One small one right behind the drivers seat and a larger on under the bunk.

ryannel2003
06-27-13, 12:46 PM
I think it's pretty important. I enjoy listening to music on long drives and if the stereo is excellent that makes the drive better. The Bose in the Seville was extremely impressive IMO. The BMW had THE shittiest stereo I'd ever heard in a modern car. Cruddy bass, terrible highs and the entire system was muddled. The Deville doesn't have Bose but I find the quality quite good even though it can't match the Seville for power.

CadillacLuke24
06-27-13, 02:04 PM
My DeVille has, AFAIK, a Delco setup. It surprises me with its performance :D

truckinman
06-27-13, 04:02 PM
It use to be I'd say for my truck, I don't need a good stereo bc I just like listening to that gigantic diesel chugging along. But this '14 is so soundproofed, it's like driving a diesel pickup. No exciting rumbling and rattling coming from this cummins.

Jesda
06-27-13, 04:23 PM
"Good" sound at home is different from "good" sound in a car. At home I like the sound to be clear and a bit mellow.

In the car I want a concert-style presentation with some exaggerated lows and highs, especially when I have the top down. I sing in the car and want enough power to drown myself out. I don't sing at home.

thebigjimsho
06-28-13, 10:38 AM
Not in the shower?

Jesda
06-28-13, 11:26 PM
Not in the shower?

These days I take it to karaoke bars.

talismandave
06-29-13, 08:12 AM
They let you shower at karaoke bars?:suspense:

thebigjimsho
06-30-13, 12:20 AM
Why do you think he has so much money? Rich parents?

Jesda
06-30-13, 04:44 AM
pure luxury