: Lets discuss Engine/Trans tuning...

Fierofiend
06-14-13, 03:47 PM
So I'm ready to start tuning my car and I'm looking for general advice our cars may have when it comes to reads, full/partial writes,etc. I've tuned a few 3800s from minor transmission tweaks, to full VE/MAF tune, etc. I also run an AEM stand alone on my 3800 fiero that I make changes to almost every time I drive it. While I'd say I have some basic experience, I admit I don't know the ins/outs of what this car has available to play with. The reason for this post is for me (and others) to try to learn from those that work with our cars, and that may already know what they do, or do not like. For example, I've always been told to not disrupt voltage when doing full writes on my GP. For this reason, I turn off headlights via ebrake, don't run any accy's, don't open the doors, don't mess with the windows, etc. I don't know what voltage spikes may do, but the 'smarter' ones say to do it, so I take the precautions. Also, there were others that already knew what the transmission likes with regards to the necessary changes to pressures/shift points, etc when I swapped to 3.29s, so I listened to them.

I'm ignorant when it comes to our cars. I would like to start of by adjusting the transmissions parameters. Any suggestions when I do my first full read (for backup), any suggestions where to start, any links to 6L80e writeups, etc? All help will be appreciated.

Things I've found so far..
Most likely need to pull TCM fuse after full read
Always need to do a full write

Good trans basics writeup:
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65550

Fierofiend
06-19-13, 09:46 AM
Well it looks like this may become a thread about my experimentation, lol. I’ve played with the software a bit and have done a bunch of reading. I’ll do some base scans to try to get an idea of how the car is performing now, then start with the software. I know the conditions will never be exactly the same for a ‘true’ comparison, but it’s a good start. After looking through all the transmission settings, I think I’m going to hold off on playing with those tables, and eventually start with just Shift Times and Shift Points. For now, I think I’m going to start with some of the Supercharger TM settings, and see how the car reacts. Then maybe move on to some more of the torque management engine settings. I’m still not exactly clear on the effect removing the ‘engine’ torque management will have as opposed to the transmission torque modifiers, but that’s something I gotta keep reading about.

Once I have some more of the TM better understood, I’ll order my headers/pulley and remove the Spectre MAF calibration sleeve to tune my MAF and VE. I’ll try to keep this post updated with my experiences.

1madstsv
06-19-13, 01:33 PM
You need to be very careful with tuning the trans. If you are not 100% don't touch it they are very strong till you go changing things then it can go out in just a fue 100 miles. If you get it right it makes a big difference but if you get it wrong it's a $4000+ lesson in trans tuning.

Fierofiend
06-19-13, 01:55 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm gonna hold off with that. When I get to it,I'll stick to dropping shift times and let the trans do its thing to hit those target times.

boomys10
06-19-13, 02:03 PM
two huge points with trans tuning per a great tuner. DONT go oer 6500 rpm with the 6l80, and DO NOT TOUCH the line pressure!!!

----------

also, i would eliminate the multiple down shifts at highway speeds if you floor. it. for example, if your going 60, your prolly in 6auto wise. wheny ou floor it itll drop to 3rd. that is hard as hell on the tranny. you need it for speed but i like mine lasting longer also. lol

1madstsv
06-19-13, 03:35 PM
I have had the red line on both my cars moved up to 7200rpm and the 06 has 30-40 1/4 mile pass and Over 38,000 miles like that. It also just turned 100k. We turned up the line pressure and had the shifts set so it would jump from 6th to 2nd if not 1st. So maybe your tuner is not very comfortable with trying to get all he can out of it. Our had one let loose and is not shore what caused it.

boomys10
06-19-13, 04:24 PM
no, he just wont tune it to break it. the transmission doesnt like being spun that fast. wears the clutches out faster. this is my only car curently so want to get alil extra life out of it. also, the 6l80 will handle upshifts all day but fails under downshifts. thats why he took that two and three gear jumps out. realluy depends what ur going for. i dont want mine to be tuned to the ragged edge and take an un-needed chance of breaking it. alrdy hard enough, running it thur-sun every week. lol

----------

ps, i put 40k on mine last year. i drive ALOT and hard..

Fierofiend
06-19-13, 04:58 PM
I'll def look into the downshift thing. I did the same on my gp as the 3-1 downshift tore my first trans up. I don't plan to mess with line pressure, but I think we need to rev past 6500 to see gains in these cars. Some testing will tell. If it feels to rough, I can turn it back down.

1madstsv
06-19-13, 05:39 PM
I would not worry abought the red line it's the 160mph passes that will brake shit. I don't drive the 08 too hard but I beat the snot out of the 06 all the time I drove it side ways even on straight roads lol.

boomys10
06-19-13, 05:53 PM
keep us informed

Fierofiend
06-19-13, 07:43 PM
I'll def look into the downshift thing. I did the same on my gp as the 3-1 downshift tore my first trans up. I don't plan to mess with line pressure, but I think we need to rev past 6500 to see gains in these cars. Some testing will tell. If it feels to rough, I can turn it back down.

TimmyC
06-20-13, 01:34 AM
I run mine to 7000 on a pretty regular basis without issue. 6500 is safer though, I think that is the GM max speed for this tranny. Burning the transmission up with tuning is possible but very unlikely. I did it on mine when I was working out the turbo system. I was scaling the MAF table and it screwed up the torque signal.

I found the 6-2 downshift too violent and eliminated that. 6-3 is plenty with this much power.

Raising max line pressure in the tune doesn't do anything. I've measured it with a sensor on the line pressure port logged with HPtuners.

There are a lot of tables in the trans section of the tune. Just go slow and read up. You'll be fine.

Fierofiend
07-08-13, 09:28 PM
I finally got around to pulling the engine and trans tune off the car the other day. I haven't written back to the car yet, but I've started to modify some cal files that I want to try flashing and comparing the effects. I did NOT have to pull TCM fuse.

Things I want to experiment with are Supercharger torque management, Trans Torque Management, shift scheduling, PE AFR, Highway cruise afr, Retarding Exhaust cam, injector scaling (for 60s) and a few other odds and ends parameters that I've tinkered with.

I wanted to keep the first post updated with current info, but it looks like I can't modify it any longer...