: Traction Indicator

maiahsdad
06-14-13, 08:28 AM
Now, when I make a sharp left turn, the traction indicator lights, and I hear the noise it's designed to make when this feature is enabled. But.... It's dry and sunny out, and nothing to slip on. Seems like yet another expensive problem with this car.

Thoughts gang?

carter's_sts
06-14-13, 12:35 PM
Sounds like wheel sensor. I think you have to replace the hub.

maiahsdad
06-14-13, 12:49 PM
Sounds like wheel sensor. I think you have to replace the hub.

Wonderful...

curtc
06-14-13, 12:50 PM
:yeah: if you are turning left when this occurs it is more than likely a passenger side bearing as that is where the weight is being shifted...Does the sound come from the front or rear of the vehicle? That will tell you which one needs replacing. This should not require a dealer visit. If you can change your own brakes you can change a wheel bearing...If not, just find a reputable local shop to do this one to save on labor costs, it's not hard at all.

EChas3
06-14-13, 09:05 PM
What are your tires,their age & pressures? Both my wife & I saw this regularly with old OEM rubber. No more.

Charles Warren
06-15-13, 08:44 AM
i was gonna say check tires first too

maiahsdad
02-18-14, 04:33 AM
Well gang, I have just gotten my car back from the body shop after being repaired from the accident. I'm not sure if most of you remember that I was backed into by a huge SUV about a month ago. Now, the traction control light is illuminated, and pressing the button on the middle console does NOT turn it off.

They didn't do anything with my tires, just replaced the hood, left headlight (now it looks stupid with one new and one dull), lower mesh in front of the grill, and the grill. Doesn't feel like the 4-wheel Dr. feature is working now. But maybe it still works even though the traction control light is constantly on (as if I have disabled it via the button on the console). I'm a little worried (no, pretty damn scared in all this snow) because I can't press the button and turn the traction control on or off. It's constantly lit. Also, the service brake assist, and service stability system messages are on the screen.

Lastly, the steering is very tight or harder to turn now while driving down the road. It's almost like the power steering is working, but barely working. Is that type of feel. If I want to change lanes going down the highway, I just can't use one finger to move over. I have to work harder to turn it left or right. Seems a little easier when I'm in a parking lot but not much at all. I don't remember it being this tight to steer.

targetSTS
02-18-14, 05:01 AM
you can't turn off what turned off already, I talk about TC. When problem with any wheel sensor exists, ABS\TC\Stability system stop working cause all of that is one system. So check your hub bearings ( almost every hub bearing should be replaced once for 05 STS ))).
Regarding power steering - change your power steering fluid first, check for leaks. If it not help check power steering pump.

maiahsdad
02-18-14, 08:42 AM
you can't turn off what turned off already, I talk about TC. When problem with any wheel sensor exists, ABS\TC\Stability system stop working cause all of that is one system. So check your hub bearings ( almost every hub bearing should be replaced once for 05 STS ))). Regarding power steering - change your power steering fluid first, check for leaks. If it not help check power steering pump. so you are saying that this could have nothing to do with the front end collision I had? I didn't experience this prior to then. But yes, the ABS, TC, Brake Assist, Stability Sys all are lit.

maiahsdad
02-23-14, 04:26 AM
So, does the four-wheel-drive function still operate even though there is no traction control enabled?

1BadCadSTS
02-23-14, 09:27 AM
So, does the four-wheel-drive function still operate even though there is no traction control enabled?

Our cars are all time all wheel drive. It's mechanical not electric. Only way to defeat it is a snapped chain in the t case or removing the front driveshaft. Otherwise your running all 4 wheels no matter what "button" you press or electronic failure that shuts down tc and:or stabilitrak and:or abs.

maiahsdad
02-23-14, 02:54 PM
Our cars are all time all wheel drive. It's mechanical not electric. Only way to defeat it is a snapped chain in the t case or removing the front driveshaft. Otherwise your running all 4 wheels no matter what "button" you press or electronic failure that shuts down tc and:or stabilitrak and:or abs. I was wondering because the other day, I tried to make it up a friends driveway and couldn't. He shared with me that only the rear wheels were spinning.

1BadCadSTS
02-23-14, 03:14 PM
I was wondering because the other day, I tried to make it up a friends driveway and couldn't. He shared with me that only the rear wheels were spinning.

Time to jack up the rear of your car and floor it huh hahahahhaha.

I'd bet the front wheel on opposite side was spinning.

maiahsdad
02-23-14, 03:50 PM
Time to jack up the rear of your car and floor it huh hahahahhaha. I'd bet the front wheel on opposite side was spinning.LOL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Maybe so! So they ALL FOUR would be pulling like my Jeep Commander? I thought they all pulled all the time! All Wheel Drive =All Wheels Pulling.... :-/

Ludacrisvp
02-23-14, 07:19 PM
All wheel drive is really one wheel front and one wheel rear having power with the car using TC to alternate power to each side.

maiahsdad
02-23-14, 09:04 PM
All wheel drive is really one wheel front and one wheel rear having power with the car using TC to alternate power to each side. cool, so with my traction control disabled, how does the car still accomplish four-wheel-drive? There's no TC engaged to alternate power to each side.

Ludacrisvp
02-23-14, 09:07 PM
The power will then just move to the side of least resistance.

maiahsdad
02-23-14, 09:10 PM
The power will then just move to the side of least resistance. on its own, without the traction control allocating?

Ludacrisvp
02-23-14, 09:14 PM
Correct. Imagine there is ice on the ground below the right front and left rear tires. In that case all power will be sent to front right and left rear and you won't really move at all. As ice has less resistance than dry pavement does.

If your have TC on then the car will apply brakes to right front and left rear to increase the resistance to those wheels and force power to transfer to the left front and right rear to get you moving.

mkosharkii
02-24-14, 12:31 AM
Luda,
It may just be my arrangement (2005 STS4, 1SG, sport package w/ G80), but I don't think that it's a helpless open diff when the aids are turned off. I had mine out in 4-8" of snow a few weeks ago, and ran it extensively with both nannies on, TC off, and TC/Stabilitrak off to test the differences. With both disabled, I could still hear the ABS modulator working constantly when the tires spun. I'd assume in my configuration it regulates the front wheels only. I think the TC in our cars is solely a throttle modulator. During my parking lot shenanigans, it was the easiest car to drift around the snow I've ever owned. Even when the rear was sliding out at speed, or even sliding entirely sideways, it was easily recovered by counter steering and aggressive throttle. The front wheels just pull it wherever you want to it go. I wish I still lived in Pennsylvania so I could justify a set of Blizzaks. It would be unstoppable! Here's a clip the wifey took when we went out to goof off... http://youtu.be/lfYcxiLq47A

Ludacrisvp
02-24-14, 09:24 AM
With the nannies off the car still has some forced nannies enabled to try and prevent complete destruction of the drivetrain.
The G80 option afaik is the positraction option which is not available with AWD.

1BadCadSTS
02-24-14, 10:06 AM
With the nannies off the car still has some forced nannies enabled to try and prevent complete destruction of the drivetrain.
The G80 option afaik is the positraction option which is not available with AWD.

It's called torque management. Only way to defeat it is a tune. >:-)

mkosharkii
02-24-14, 12:03 PM
With the nannies off the car still has some forced nannies enabled to try and prevent complete destruction of the drivetrain. The G80 option afaik is the positraction option which is not available with AWD.
That sucks. I assumed I had a limited slip rear since I have the 18" wheels. Oh well.

----------

It's called torque management. Only way to defeat it is a tune. >:-)
Speaking of which, what can you tell me about the torque management? How intrusive is it? What benefits are yielded by having whatever parameters it affects disabled?

EChas3
02-24-14, 11:30 PM
Even with Traction Control 'disabled' the AWD STS still has some active control of wheel spin to prevent unlimited spinning of a single wheel. If your AWD isn't functioning this way, the system is malfunctioning and may not 'throw a code'. Even if it does, most after-market code readers will nor detect it.

Don't expect premium diagnostics from short-cut tools. One may not always get what you pay for, but you always have to pay to get the best.

mkosharkii
02-25-14, 10:31 AM
Even with Traction Control 'disabled' the AWD STS still has some active control of wheel spin to prevent unlimited spinning of a single wheel.
Interesting...
And based on what I saw, I'm led to believe that it may redirect power from one side of the diff to the other. Whether the design intent was to assist in traction or that it's simply an arbitrary byproduct of reducing wheel spin is my question.

maiahsdad
04-12-14, 10:10 AM
Defective left rear wheel hub. In this morning gettin it warranted out this morning. Hope all will be cured after that.

maiahsdad
04-13-14, 12:52 AM
Repair shop replaced defective hub bearing. Traction/ABS indicators still lit, as well as Service Stability Stability Assist lot still lit. Wonder if there are fuses.

carter's_sts
04-13-14, 02:48 AM
Why'd they give it back like that? Did they not troubleshoot it?

maiahsdad
04-13-14, 03:31 PM
Why'd they give it back like that? Did they not troubleshoot it?they said they would need to have it another day. And I needed to drive it. But I can't imagine what it could be now. They said the hub was showing bad, and all the components are tied together. But now that the lights are still on, it's got us confused.