: Trouble with 93 Fleetwood brakes

chi93fleetwood
06-14-13, 12:36 AM
I bought a fleetwood today. Everything seemed fine when i test drove it. But as i got closer to home after paying for it, brakes suddenly started fading. I had to press brake pedal more to even get a slight break. But also the wheels would lock so i would screech to a halt. Very scary.can anybody please tell me what the causes of this might be. The abs and traction light are also on.

Submariner409
06-14-13, 08:46 AM
Your post has nothing to do with Site IT problems or registration.

Please read the descriptive text in each forum title bar to find out what is supposed to be posted there.

Moved to past Cadillac discussions.

Mark 78 Coupe
06-14-13, 09:13 AM
My first guess is that a brake line broke. In the last year, on two different cars, I have had that happen. Did you notice a sort of "pop" sound one time when you applied the brake pedal? If so, like me, it was a rusty brake line that let go. Good news? If that is indeed what has happened, it is a very cheap fix. My 93 Fleetwood broke a line in the front, and with parts and labor it was under $150.00

Cadillacboy
06-14-13, 02:46 PM
Welcome, I believe your brake master cylinder is shot as well
Whatever you do , please don't drive , easy to say but safety comes first and paramount concern and brake issues are top of the list :) . Have a mechanic inspect it or have it towed to certified person to diagnose what's wrong with

chi93fleetwood
06-14-13, 05:15 PM
i did not hear a "pop" at any time. i did hear a "click" when pressing brake pedal. engine on. car on park.

----------

thanks for the advice. i am definitely not driving. car is actually at mechanics for a diagnostics.

carnut
06-14-13, 07:08 PM
Loose front caliper to spindle?

cadillac_al
06-15-13, 01:46 PM
Sounds like rear wheel cylinder is leaking. It will cause fluid loss and wheel lock up.

chi93fleetwood
06-15-13, 02:32 PM
took car to mechanic, he told me it needs new pads, calipers, and rotors......