: Time to trade vehicles?

Elvis
02-03-05, 10:40 AM
Those of you who know me might remember my attempts about a year ago to trade vehicles.

I gave strong consideration to a '96 Fleetwood that wouldn't fit in my garage. Then I test-drove a '98 DeVille that had a severe trunk leak that turned me against all DeVilles from that generation. Finally I settled on the current generation DeVille, but couldn't find one in my price range.

Then things changed. The Volvo required some major work, my wife's employer (large bank) sold out, and a few other uncertainties took me out of the market for a new vehicle for a while. Hopefully I'm back in it again. The Prelude celebrated her 5th anniversary last week with only 50,800 miles. She's paid for, and re-sale is still really strong on her. She's a good car but way too small and uncomfortable.

Other factors have changed, and I've narrowed my choices down to these SUV's in the poll. They are ranked by preference.

Cast your vote and tell me why. The Memphis car show is in three weeks and I hope to get a really close look at all of them.

BeelzeBob
02-03-05, 11:04 AM
I'm not too crazy about the Acura, that's why I left it out.. I voted for both the Lexus RX330 and the Cadillac SRX. The big SUVs are terrible on gas.. You want 13 miles per gallon? :p So... The Cadillac wins hands-down on looks.. It makes a nice statement.. While the Lexus doesn't look as nice, to me, it still makes a nice statement and will probably be trouble-free for a long, long time... Personally, I'd take the SRX - and I'm (surprisingly) not biased...

lux hauler
02-03-05, 11:20 AM
I seen one of these on the road the other day. Pretty nice looking car, if you ask me.....although I AM somewhat biased. :)

slk230mb
02-03-05, 11:32 AM
My neighbor has a Yukon SLT and had absolutely no problems with it except for the maintenance items - brakes, oil changes, the usual. I also voted for the SRX, well mainly because it's a Caddy and this is a Caddy board, and I don't think i'm biased, although 100% of my cars have been Cadillacís... :thumbsup:

D148L0
02-03-05, 11:47 AM
Edit: nevermind.
I NEED MY COFFEE!!!!

Rolex
02-03-05, 11:55 AM
If you're wanting something more midsized I'd say go with the Acura MDX. They're sharp and have a very nice ride. The nav system in the Acura is also one of the best IMO. If you want to go big I'd say go with the used Lade (for flashiness) or the GMC Yukon. Local dealers have been giving discounts and rebates that amount to $12500 off the Chevy Z71 package Tahoes and GMC Yukon SLT(which puts the price in the low-to-mid 30k range. You get a lot of vehicle for the money there IMHO.

Elvis
02-03-05, 12:01 PM
Thanks, everybody. Keep 'em coming.

I cast a vote for the SRX just so I could see the poll results when I bring the thread up without having to click on anything else. I like the SRX because the numbers show that the back seat is the largest of any SUV. Also, it sits a little lower and isn't a boxy truck.

I'm leaning toward the Lexus and the Acura, primarily for their reliability. I know Acura better than any brand right now.

The Envoy is on the list because I know that vehicle better than any on the list. My father has one and loves it. I really enjoy driving it too. Smooth ride, plenty of power/torque, comfortable seats.

Comfort is my #1 concern here.

RBraczyk
02-03-05, 01:13 PM
Volvo S40 T5 AWD....

Elvis
02-03-05, 01:46 PM
Volvo S40 T5 AWD....

Not big enough to haul my dogs. Are you paying attention? We're talking SUV's here! :histeric:

My wife has a '98 Volvo S70 T5. Very powerful with that turbo. That Volvo I5 is a good engine. It runs like a scalded dog.

Sometimes.

05moonstone
02-03-05, 01:49 PM
My wife and I are in the market for her next car and almost the same list came up. We narrowed it down to the Lexus, SRX, and Acura based on size and "car-like" ride quality (she wants the room of a wagon/SUV without the truck ride). Lexus and Acura are fairly proven for long-term quality, the SRX hasn't been around long enought to know. We eliminated the Nissan/Infiniti purely based on our dislike of its interior design (aesthetic, not functionality). Truck-like ride eliminated the Envoy (though pricing is excellent) and size eliminated the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. Our concern with Volvo was partially reliability and cost of maintenance. And she just didn't like the Lincoln (reminded her too much of an overpriced Explorer)

Hope this helps some

Ralph
02-03-05, 02:45 PM
SRX! Why? Because you are a member of this forum and it's time you got a Caddy Pete. :yup: ;)

I think the SRX just won another award for quality or vehicle of the year or something. If you plan on keeping it for a number of years, which you seem to do anyway, then DON'T worry about depreciation! Remember, dealer lots flooded with them is why they depreciate so much in the first place! Just buy it and enjoy it.

My doctor drives a dark blue Acura MDX and I don't find it attractive. The front end looks unproportional and "juts out"too much imo.

Now I know why my Dad calls these things "dog haulers." :D

Brett
02-03-05, 02:57 PM
The SRX and the MDX are the only real choices imo. I just did this same car search a few months back when we got my wifes SRX, and we came to the conclusion that these 2 were the best. I would have got the MDX but my wife wanted an american car, so we got the SRX. Forget about the lexus, the cargo area is way too small. the way the back window bends towards the front of the car makes it difficult to put anything back there. we took my daughters stroller with when we were shopping and it barely fit in the RX330, but in the SRX there is still 2-3 feet of cargo space left with the stroller in there

Elvis
02-03-05, 03:08 PM
My wife and I are in the market for her next car and almost the same list came up. We narrowed it down to the Lexus, SRX, and Acura based on size and "car-like" ride quality (she wants the room of a wagon/SUV without the truck ride). Lexus and Acura are fairly proven for long-term quality, the SRX hasn't been around long enought to know. We eliminated the Nissan/Infiniti purely based on our dislike of its interior design (aesthetic, not functionality). Truck-like ride eliminated the Envoy (though pricing is excellent) and size eliminated the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. Our concern with Volvo was partially reliability and cost of maintenance. And she just didn't like the Lincoln (reminded her too much of an overpriced Explorer)

Hope this helps some

WOW, thanks, that helps A LOT. You re-enforced a lot of the opinions I had already formed without taking any test drives. Interesting how you're on the same road I am, except this will be my vehicle. The wife loves her Volvo with 112,000 miles, and she loves her Z3 too.

She's set with two vehicles. I only get one and it needs to be multi-purpose, plus luxurious enough to take on a long trip. The only thing I disagreed with was I don't feel like the Envoy has a truck-like ride. But on the other hand, I haven't driven the Acura, SRX, or Lexus so I don't have any basis for comparison.

Thanks again for weighing in!

Elvis
02-03-05, 03:15 PM
SRX! Why? Because you are a member of this forum and it's time you got a Caddy Pete. :yup: ;)

Now I know why my Dad calls these things "dog haulers." :D

:yup: It's time for me to get a Caddy!

I hope it works out that way, but I'm not going to force it. I still want to find a late 70's Eldo or CDV to restore and have as something to play around in a couple days a week.

My world would not be complete without my dogs. I would take them everywhere I went if I could.

Elvis
02-03-05, 03:17 PM
Forget about the lexus, the cargo area is way too small. the way the back window bends towards the front of the car makes it difficult to put anything back there.

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

05moonstone
02-03-05, 03:29 PM
The only thing I disagreed with was I don't feel like the Envoy has a truck-like ride.

The Envoy rides nice, it is by no means a "truck", that may have been the wrong term. But in comparison to the car-based SUV's, we felt it rode a little rougher.

Ralph
02-03-05, 03:35 PM
I might have recommend the Olds Bravada (but we know what happened to those) and I was in the back seat during the testdrive a couple of years ago and I would never put a "friend" back there! Very rough and bouncy! It even supposedly had air shocks in rear.

Pete, you might want to check out the new SRX review in the Reviews section. He's a pet owner and doesn't really recommend the SRX if you have dogs.

RBraczyk
02-03-05, 04:32 PM
Buick Raineer 5.3 V8 AWD. Gets 21 mpg on the highway, comfortable, takes off like a mother and sounds sexy doing it.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited HEMI. Ok interior, handles and flies like a bat out of hell.

Both good choices. The Aviator has worse throttle response than my blazer.

Elvis
02-03-05, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Ralph.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=242859#post242859

Buick Raineer 5.3 V8 AWD. Gets 21 mpg on the highway, comfortable, takes off like a mother and sounds sexy doing it.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited HEMI. Ok interior, handles and flies like a bat out of hell.

Both good choices. The Aviator has worse throttle response than my blazer.

I think the Rainier is the same thing as the Envoy/Trailblazer. And I'm sorry, but I just can't bring myself to get anything remotely related to Dodge.

davesdeville
02-03-05, 04:50 PM
Pretty much all Jap SUVs are hideous, especailly the Morono and the Lexuses. The big Infiniti is nice though. The SRX is a station wagon, but it's a nice wagon. I voted for the used Escalade because - Come on it's an Escalade! :coolgleam

Rolex
02-03-05, 06:47 PM
I think the Rainier is the same thing as the Envoy/Trailblazer. And I'm sorry, but I just can't bring myself to get anything remotely related to Dodge.

You're correct about the Rainier, and wise beyond your years about Dodge/Chrystler. :thumbsup:

RBraczyk
02-03-05, 09:56 PM
Ya, but the raineer has better interior and better styling.

Ralph
02-03-05, 10:16 PM
Ya, but the raineer has better interior and better styling.
Better styling than an egg. :sneaky:

Then again :hmm:

I'd rather have a NEW SRX than a used Escalade.

Playdrv4me
02-04-05, 12:13 AM
If you can put aside some of the reports of poor reliability, Im surprised the Volkswagen Touareg V8 did not make it on your list. At least do yourself a favor and go drive it. It uses the amazing Audi 4.2L V8 and it just MOVES smoothly quietly and has one of the most luxurious SUV cabins on the face of the planet. Its not cheap, but you do get what you pay for. Aside from that, I voted for the Escalade... the SRX just isnt my thing.

RBraczyk
02-04-05, 07:39 AM
The Touareg has the ergonomics of a martian spacecraft.

Kev
02-04-05, 11:37 AM
Now, there I have to disagree with you RBraczyk, I was thinking more along the lines of the Venutian models ... .. ..:alien:

Kev

slk230mb
02-04-05, 11:46 AM

It's also way to plain looking. That and the Honda Pilot are just way too boring for my taste.

Rolex
02-04-05, 01:01 PM
I looked at the Volkswagon SUV before I bought the Lade. The nicely eqiupped models are just as expensive as the Escalade and Lexus GX 470. I believe you get more for your buck with the Cadillac. The one really cool option is the diesel engine in the Volks....but it'll cost you big $$.

Elvis
02-04-05, 01:34 PM
If you can put aside some of the reports of poor reliability, Im surprised the Volkswagen Touareg V8 did not make it on your list.

I couldn't put those reports aside. Otherwise, it would be in my top 5. I like the styling and size. I took a long look at one in the grocery store parking lot one day. The owner and his 5-year-old son were very kind in letting me sit in it and answering all my questions. But he had only owned it for about six weeks and didn't know anything about reliability problems. I didn't tell him what I had read.

So far the reviews on Edmunds I'm reading lean strongly toward the MDX. That would be fitting for me, since I've driven nothing but Acura/Honda for the past 14 years. I'm just ready for a change.

The RX-330 apparently had a transmission problem of some sort, like it was constantly trying to find the proper gear. That sounds like a software problem to me, the kind of thing you would expect an engineer to tinker with trying get the most out of an underpowered engine.

My 4-banger does that a lot. Sometimes it downshifts from 4th to 2nd, then to 3rd, then back to 2nd before it finally figures out where it wants to be.

airbalancer
02-04-05, 02:10 PM
I would go for the SLT or the Caddy
Mileage between a Envoy and Yukon is about the same
The larger the better
But then I drive a Sierra extended cab most of the time and it just feels right

Ralph
02-04-05, 02:14 PM
I'm reading lean strongly toward the MDX. That would be fitting for me, since I've driven nothing but Acura/Honda for the past 14 years. I'm just ready for a change.

I would seriously DRIVE both the SRX and an MDX before making this decision. Narrow it down and then report your likes/dislikes here and we can logically discuss them. :)

Yes, I read the same SRX problems threads that you do but don't fall under the impression that Lexus or Acura don't have any problems! (I'm not saying you do, but most here do) Because this is a Cadillac Forum we are able to read about problems with these vehicles because there are MORE of them here than anything else. I have found many sites for serious problems with Lexus and Acura but everyone still seems to think that when there is a problem with a Cadillac, or a warning light comes on that "it's typical of any American car company." I don't buy into that false propaganda. From some reports I've read on this forum, Cadillac is willing to buy back the vehicle if it cannot be fixed or of it is an engineering problem, etc. Good luck at Lexus or MB trying to convince them to buy it back and I can post (have posted) many links of dissatisfied customers with those brands as well. With the Toyota sludge problem, many of those people are stuck buying a whole new engine because Toyota wouldn't pay for it.

My point, don't disregard the SRX!

I found an MDX article, but I just can't live down the front-end styling:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/04mdx.htm

Katshot
02-04-05, 05:38 PM
BIG surprise, the SRX is ahead in the vote. This place is predictable if nothing else. It's a shame that nobody's recommended the Aviator. We've had ours for a while (it's an '03) and it's still a nice ride. We got the first year and a couple small bugs were worked out since ours but, I still like it. We have the max'd out model and I find it comfortable, fast, and great handling.
I had a GMC Denali before the Aviator and to be honest, I still don't regret dumping that turkey for the Lincoln. That truck was nothing but trouble. In the shop more than out. I'm admitedly a perfectionist so some things that bother ME about a vehicle may go totally un-noticed by most owners but, IMO, GMC is not (or at least WAS not) ready to support a "luxury" vehicle. They expected to treat their customers like pick-up truck owners and THAT just doesn't work for me.
My in-laws have an RX330 and I've driven it a little. I think it's a very nice vehicle and if it performs as well as the RX300 they had previously, they'll have no problems at all. But to be honest, the RX330 is NOT really the Lexus that you should be comparing here, the GX470 is.
Bottom line, I voted for the Aviator.
Just my 2 cents.

Ralph
02-04-05, 06:15 PM
My in-laws have an RX330 and I've driven it a little. I think it's a very nice vehicle and if it performs as well as the RX300 they had previously, they'll have no problems at all.

They will. Anything mechanical will break down eventually and the RX330's are too new to have recalls at this time it seems. The sludge problem cannot be swept under the carpet just because it wears a "LEXUS" badge.

"Dec 2003 the engine started making a loud noise, I took the car immediately to the dealer. They told us that it had "blown a rod" and needed $6,400.00 worth of engine work. Of course it is not covered. When I called an auto reapir shop near us in PA, who does all our inspections, he said that absolutely this would be caused from the original oil problem."

http://consumeraffairs.com/automotive/lexus.html

Then again, all I could find here are complaints of suspension bottoming out if 4 people in it and a bad climate control system:

http://www.epinions.com/auto_Make-2004_Lexus_RX_330/display_~reviews

Katshot
02-04-05, 06:32 PM
I don't know Ralph, sure looks more like the RX330 is a well recieved vehicle. Most reviews were 4 or 5 stars.
The engine sludge issue is old news and to be honest not REALLY an issue if the car is properly maintained. My in-laws only keep cars for maybe 3 years anyways , so warranty always covers all issues. Bottom line, the dealer is probably the best one I've ever personally dealt with, and the product is top line.

Ralph
02-04-05, 06:43 PM
I agree, I can admit it looks like they make good vehicles!

However, about the "myth" that maintenance will prevent the sludge problem, you missed this in the link and they still don't really know why it happens. I just get tired of people here slamming Cadillac calling it "A crappy American product":

"The same thing has happened to mine with 130,000 miles on it. I have been dealing with them and Lexus of California since the 3rd. of Feb.

These engines should get at least 200,000 or more. They say it's because of lack of maintenance. I have all my oil change receipts and offered to send them and was told if I send them in they would present it before the service dept. people and let them review the problem. I was told the car is too old and has too many miles. I do not feel this is a problem of mine and this is no different than the problem they had with the 1997 thru 2002. They know they have had a problem with these engines in the past, they just don't want to take mine under the warranty."

Look at the ratings for the CTS: ;)

http://www.epinions.com/auto_Make-2004_Cadillac_CTS/display_~reviews

I don't like the myth that a Lexus will never have problems because they will like anything else. Still waiting for my Dad's 1979 Nova to break down! :sneaky:

Elvis
02-04-05, 06:44 PM
I sincerely DO WANT to buy American this time around. The SRX and Envoy would have to be absolute DOGS compared to the MDX or RX-330.

Based on what I read about the discounts on the SRX, I'm getting REALLY EXCITED about looking at one.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30324

Ralph
02-04-05, 06:53 PM
I sincerely DO WANT to buy American this time around.

Based on what I read about the discounts on the SRX, I'm getting REALLY EXCITED about looking at one.

Glad to hear it buddy! Here, this should give you some more confidence:

http://www.epinions.com/2004_Cadillac_SRX/display_~reviews

c5 rv
02-04-05, 07:29 PM
Lexus: the ones I've seen either look too rice or soccer mom.

GMC Envoy: My buddy has one and likes it. I can't stand it. I find the seats very uncomfortable and the ride is tippy.

SRX: I think this is the best vehicle in its category. I may own one, yet.

Playdrv4me
02-04-05, 09:08 PM
I would recommend strongly against the SRX. It has been just as riddled with problems as the Touareg if not more, and the Touareg has had more time to resolve its issues. I dont know why there isnt more support for the Escalade, it was my personal contribution to the poll and it doesnt seem to be very popular. The RX is way to bland for my tastes, but on the flip side of the token Ralph youve gone a little wild on this sludge thing my brother... it is NOT as big of a problem as you are making it out to be, I know TONS of people with 6 Cyl lexuses that are ecstatic about their cars and have not had nary a problem with the engine. Yes I know, there are many reports out there, but there was alot of fallout from the M3 grenading engine issue and BMW corrected it and went on its way. I certainly wouldnt use that as Ammo against the SRX at least. If you wont take a risk on the Touareg (and I do mean a calculated risk cause theres lots of GOOD Tour-eggs on the road now too), then I am sticking with the Escalade, or possibly the FX35. I need to keep you in a Cadillac here ;)

Elvis
02-04-05, 10:57 PM
Just to clarify something, if I get an Escalade or Yukon, it will probably have to sit outside. Too big. I like having space to walk around in my garage. I'm not going to cram a big fat truck in there.

Rolex
02-05-05, 01:21 AM
Just to clarify something, if I get an Escalade or Yukon, it will probably have to sit outside. Too big. I like having space to walk around in my garage. I'm not going to cram a big fat truck in there.

I back my Lade into the garage every night. There's not a lot of room to move around it when the door is closed, but I feel a little more secure with it inside. Once you learn the best way to negociate a big SUV into a garage you get used to doing it without giving it a second thought. We have a single-door two car and a single door single-car garage and I park my Lade in the single car side! I like my wife to have a LARGE path into, and out of the driveway so she won't run into anything (she'd kill me for posting that!). Since we moved into this house she's backed into my old truck, dented the back hatch on my Lade while her car was being fixed, and last week she backed into the neighbors mailbox and dented her trunk...again. :banghead: She's backed into several inanimate objects since I've known her. Every time she offers to park her Accord in the small garage I politely decline. ;)

Kev
02-05-05, 02:21 AM
I like my wife to have a LARGE path into, and out of the driveway so she won't run into anything (she'd kill me for posting that!). Since we moved into this house she's backed into my old truck, dented the back hatch on my Lade while her car was being fixed, and last week she backed into the neighbors mailbox and dented her trunk...again. :banghead: She's backed into several inanimate objects since I've known her. Every time she offers to park her Accord in the small garage I politely decline. ;)
My friends just bought a little Lexus SUV (don't know the model but don't really care). It has a camera in the rear licence frame connected to an LCD sceen in the dash. I don't supose that would help your ........ naw, prolly not, might be more distracting. Just a thought.

Kev

Kev
02-05-05, 02:24 AM
'Course, I can't say it helped my buddy out, his wife was backing out of the garage but couldn't see anything in on the screen, when she hit the door she realized the rear hatch was open. Go figure!

Kev

Rolex
02-05-05, 03:08 AM
'Course, I can't say it helped my buddy out, his wife was backing out of the garage but couldn't see anything in on the screen, when she hit the door she realized the rear hatch was open. Go figure!

Kev

LOL. I empathize with your friend. :D

Ralph
02-05-05, 03:28 AM

Plus if you bought a new V6 SRX you'd get full warrenty and you would know the history and that it wasn't abused in any way.

Ian, I've also found links for the brand new Corollas with rotten egg smell and sludge! So it is still an issue and Lexus/Toyota are not the perfect God-like vehicle many think they are. People come to this forum preaching how perfect Toyota/Lexes are but they should know some history to realize no import is perfect. If I know of current Toyota sludge problems in current vehicles I will mention it and not try to sweep it under the carpet to protect a flawless reputation that isn't so flawless after all. I'm not saying SRX is perfect either, I wouldn't dare, and like I said, this is a Cadillac forum so we will read about problems here more with Cadillacs than any other type of car and you have to seperate this from stereotype. I'm sick and tired of the myth that the imports are SO MUCH better than what American cars produce.

There are also many happy SRX owners here Ian. I think it's the right sized vehicle for most people because perhaps Elvis's wife could drive it and not feel intimidated by the sheer girth and mass of an Escalade. I know I might be too!

I've read about the infamous BMW engine causing too much pressure internally and blowing all the oil seals or ? and BMW refused to honour the warrenty fix in many cases. (I could find those links and they were posted by darrellid in the CTS forum) I'm assuming this is what you referenced to with regard to BMW? There was also a recall for the 3 series a couple years ago for the airbags deploying after hitting a sharp bump in the road. Of course, not every vehicle was effected, but enough were for the recall to take place. The problem is people will remember issues like this when they purchase, just like the Toureg. Hell, people are still leary on this forum to buy a Cadillac because of what they were in the 1980's! So of course these things stick in people's minds. History should be known nonetheless. After all, people still talk about the Pinto and it didn't sem to hurt Ford sales.

Like I said, ALL vehicles will have some problems and I still think it will be more the first-year models like the SRX was and STS, but the weaknesses get known and corrected by the factory over time, hopefully. Hopefully the Toureg is fixed by now, like you mentioned, but then look at JD Power and where they are ranked. Wouldn't you rather have a vehicle like Lexus or Cadillac that are in the top 2? :sneaky: I will look to JD when I purchase a new vehicle and it can't hurt either.

Just tellin' it as it is brother.

Elvis
02-06-05, 01:50 PM
I think it's the right sized vehicle for most people because perhaps Elvis's wife could drive it and not feel intimidated by the sheer girth and mass of an Escalade. I know I might be too!

Good point, it's certainly something to consider. She's not but 5'2" and to her the Volvo S70 is like the Fleetwood was to me. All the legroom in the world if you're short.

Elvis
02-25-05, 07:23 PM
UPDATE: I Played hooky today with Dad!!!

We sneeked out today and went to downtown Memphis to see the car show!!! That was probably the most fun we've had together since he quit playing golf. It was a really good day.

NEW IMPRESSIONS!

1) The Lexus RX-330 is a nice vehicle, but it wasn't anywhere NEAR as comfortable to sit in as I thought it would be. The back seat was kind of hard for Dad to get in and out of, plus--when you're sitting in the back seat, your knees are pointing straight up! They are bent at less than a 90-degree angle. Not good--LEXUS RX330 IS NOW OFF THE LIST! (Big surprise to me)

2) The Infiniti FX45 BLEW US BOTH AWAY! The back seat was much more comfortable for a tall person, the cockpit was very futuristic. The tilt-tele wheel moves the entire instrument cluster!!! (MORE ON THIS LATER)

3) The Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban, and Escalade were MUCH TOO DIFFICULT to get in and out of. They sit too high off the ground. THESE VEHICLES ARE NOW OFF THE LIST! (I'm surprised about this also)

4) The Volvo XC-90 is nice, but the XC-70 is more suitable for its purpose. We were both very surprised at its car-like comfort. (of course, it's just a glorified AWD wagon) THE XC-70 HAS MADE THE NEW LIST!

5) The Honda CR-V is MUCH IMPROVED over the early models. The interior is surprisingly comfortable (but I'd have to drive one to make the final call). THE CR-V HAS MADE THE NEW LIST!

6) The Nissan Murano was AWOL!!! I couldn't believe that they didn't have one there. NISSAN, YOU'RE FIRED!

7) The Buick Rendezvous is much nicer than I ever expected. The price is right, too--and you KNOW they're probably heavily discounted. IT MOVED WAY UP ON THE LIST.

8) The Ford "Free-Star?" minivan is the REAL DEAL. I'm not in the market for one, but I was shocked at how nice it was.

9) VW Tuareg--VERY NICE. Not on the list, too expensive, too many problems reported. Sorry, maybe next time.

10) Envoy Denali--AWESOME. I liked the Envoy XL's rear seating--they recline. (We went to the show in Dad's Envoy, it's still high on the list.

11) Cadillac SRX -- BETTER THAN EXPECTED. I'm going to drive one, it's at the top of the list now! Very firm and comfortable back seat. I'm interested in the smooth ride and cornering. The front seats were plenty comfortable enough. I want mine in white with the light tan interior.

12) BIGGEST SURPRISE OF THE DAY: LINCOLN NAVIGATOR. This is now #2 on my list of vehicles I must drive. Something about it got my attention. That huge high console made me feel like Captain Kirk on the Enterprise. The leather was soft, the instrumentation appealed to my taste.

13) Just for the fun of it, I sat in a DeVille--Still love it. It's what I'd buy if I were looking for a regular car. The price is right on the '03 models with <30,000 miles.

----------------------------------------------------------

On the way home, Dad veered the Envoy over to the right and took the wrong exit. I thought he was losing it. The next thing I knew, we were hanging a left into the Infiniti dealership. Five minutes later I was behind the wheel of an idling FX-35 pulling out of the parking lot.

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS: Even the V6 version of the FX begs for you to step on it. I was impressed with the torque and cornering. It's a driver's car. The seats wrap around you and swallow you up. There were a lot of buttons for the radio and A/C and there was NO WAY I could figure them all out. Way to busy, but I'm sure FX owners figure it out eventually.

Here's the problem--there's no room to move around in the driver's seat. You can't really comfortably change positions. The seats are kind of narrow. It feels really safe, but once you're in position, you're stuck there.

Dad wasn't cramped in the back seat, and I had mine back pretty far. But he had the same complaint--he couldn't move around much. He was frozen in place.

It rides really rough for a $46,000 vehicle too. The model I tested had 20" rims. The salesman said that the 18" model has a softer ride, but I doubt it would make that much difference. So, the vehicle that was at the top of my list when I left the show has now been REMOVED.

The Infiniti FX is an OUTSTANDING vehicle, very well-engineered, a GREAT performer, but it's just not for me. My impression is that this SUV-crossover is designed for the person who DOESN'T WANT an SUV, but has to have one due to their lifestyle. You don't feel like you're in an SUV at any time.

SO, HERE'S MY NEW LIST:

1) Cadillac SRX (must drive)
2) Lincoln Navigator (Yeah, I'm a traitor!--must drive!)
3) GMC Envoy (I already know all about this one)
4) Buick Rendezvous (if 1,2,& 3 fail--this is getting a serious look)
5) Honda CR-V (Backup option if nothing else pans out)
6) Volvo XC-70
7) Cadillac DeVille--just in case I get cold feet about an SUV

Ralph
02-25-05, 07:34 PM
It's good that you are still researching and not rushing into it.

I agree about Nissan.

c5 rv
02-26-05, 07:49 AM
1 - Definitely drive the SRX. One problem is the wide door sills. Some people really don't like these. They are supposed to be narrower in '06. If I could only have one daily driver, I'd get one of these.

2 - Look into the reliability of the Navigator. Also, think about fuel prices.

3 - Take a long test drive in the Buick. My wife is prone to motion sickness and I felt the ride on country roads wouldn't help her condition.

airbalancer
02-26-05, 09:01 AM
" The Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban, and Escalade were MUCH TOO DIFFICULT to get in and out of. They sit too high off the ground. THESE VEHICLES ARE NOW OFF THE LIST! (I'm surprised about this also)"
I had to get side bars for my Sierra ECSB to make it easier for the wife get in. She likes to ride in the truck because you do sit high.
Sierra gets the same mileage as my friends Envoy inline 6, I have 5.3 4.10 rear end 4x4
He also said he would rather have Yukon, Tahoe instead of get another Envoy

Stoneage_Caddy
02-26-05, 10:39 AM
ahh deville made this list ...

well we all know how im changing my vote .....do the right thing elvis ....cuz elvis didnt drive no honda or volvo ....let alone a SUV ....

You need what every dude in the world wants , a bigger,wider, longer, heavier....

CAR!!!

Suv's are for transporting children...there the reinacrination of the ford county squire and vista cruizer....

Playdrv4me
02-26-05, 10:50 AM
I think of all the things you mentioned, the Cadillac is probably the best hands down. The Envoy's are OK, but they just are'nt very exciting, if you were going to get an Envoy, then I would suggest you PLEASE PLEASE go look at the Buick RAINIER, NOT the Rendevous (that is basically an Aztek)! Buick dealers are HEAVILY HEAVILY discounting their cars right now. You can get a 40000.00 V8, AWD Rainier with all the toys for just a hair over 30k.

Navigator is nice at first, but they get a "loose" feeling rapidly and also have the resale of a pet rock, they also seriously lack power in comparison to the 345hp engine in the Escalade, and you don't get any real gas mileage benefit despite that. The 5.4 always feels taxed in the Navigator. It used to be my favorite (its sound system is still the best) but rapidly dropped below the Escalade. Moreover, the Escalade and Navigator are about the same size, so ingress and egress should be about the same.

On the Honda front, If I had to own one of those, I would not even consider the CR-V, I would go straight for the Pilot or Acura MDX.

airbalancer
02-26-05, 01:37 PM
Ian , try http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/ there is info about but in a nava system.
saw another site that had tread with over 1,000 post
by the way, how will those tires you have on the AVA be in the hills and snow of PA LOL

Playdrv4me
02-27-05, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the link, I checked it out!

The guy who owned the truck before me was no dummy, remember that in Wichita there is severe ice storms very often too! This Nitto tires are Extreme Force 404 SUV. They are all Weather/All Season tires designed to maintain as much of the traction of stock all season tires, while allowing the low profile needed for the larger wheels. Its quite interesting... the tread pattern on them is VERY aggressive. I have yet to see how they will perform. One amazing thing... the tires are almost as expensive, if not more-so than the Wheels.

airbalancer
02-27-05, 08:18 AM
well the should be OK then, I hope they have a good tread life
You will like the ride in the AVA. My wife finds my Z71 is almost as nice as the STS

Elvis
02-28-05, 11:04 AM
Suv's are for transporting children...there the reinacrination of the ford county squire and vista cruizer....

Find me a '79 Vista Cruiser with less than 12,000 miles, and I'll buy it so fast your head will spin.

UPDATE:

I did some more internet research, the ranks are thinning, and now the order is as follows:

1) Navigator (Please don't lay any guilt trips on me! It just FELT good!)
2) Envoy (I KNOW it well, and I LIKE it.)
3) SRX (First car I'll look at)
4) CR-V: perfect replacement for my Prelude, but not much of a step UP, which is what I'm trying to accomplish here.

If I went with the CR-V, I would have to get something luxurious like a used DeVille later on. The 2002 models with 30,000-45,000 miles on them are real bargains. Don't hate me, but Honda/Acura reliability has served me well for 14 years. It's hard to walk away.

I'm very easy on vehicles, and I take really good care of them. The criteria are utility and comfort, rather than style. We're probably looking at a vehicle that will get <12,000 miles a year and will be kept for a minimum of 5 years, possibly 7 or 8.

The Navigator sat possibly 2" lower than the Escalade/Yukon. I think that the Navigator's suspension drops like that for loading and unloading. Also, the door seemed to open wider? That armrest may be what's keeping me interested. It's massive. It's the old "Barca-lounger on wheels" concept.

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i3/03/a/03/35/c0/14_4.JPG

Flat floor, nothing to step over.
http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/a/03/36/18/1a_4.JPG

Who knows, I could drive one and hate it. It could be like my Fleetwood affair last year. We'll see.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-28-05, 11:13 AM
one thing i like about the navigators is the dash , looks so much like the old kennedy conteinentals (60s era)

i amdit there a nice looking truck ....

Im telling you elvis ...get a used DTS ...its a nice step in between a big old truck thing and the prelude .....get the handeing of a well laid out front drive car and the confort of one of them truck things

By the way if i found the vista crusier id buy it before you could ......those things were awesome with the sunroof and all

Elvis
04-30-05, 11:22 PM
I'm BAAAAAAAACK!!!!!

Today I finally got around to driving a Navigator. I'm still absorbing what I saw today, but as of right now these are my impressions. I didn't fall in love with it, but I didn't eliminate it from the list, either.

I can't afford a brand new Navigator (even though I really want that new cashmere color) so I settled on a 2003 model in silver with 34,000 miles. This was the "ultimate" model with the retractable running boards, power lift gate, power 3rd row seats, heated and air-conditioned front seats, yada yada yada.

This thing was NICE. Extremely comfortable and for its size it didn't sway like a heavy truck. The back end seemed like it was right with us all the way, not a ride where the back end follows behind a few seconds later. I went over a lot of bumps, didn't really feel anything. But here are a few negatives I noticed:

1) Rattles. Driver's door, sunroof, and something in the back.

2) Noise. I expected it to be a lot quieter but all that open space in the back seemed to echo road/tire noise.

3) The engine made some kind of a howling sound under light acceleration.

4) The gas mileage issue is starting to weigh on me. You're lucky to get 15 mpg.

Cars are like shoes. They either fit or they don't. This one fit okay, but I think there might be something that fits better.

My buddy at the GMC dealership has been pestering me to come see the Envoy Denali he just got in. It's HOT. Black with grey interior. Navigation system, 5300 V8, extra sound deadening, lots of cool stuff. $40,000+

So I dropped by. It's nice, but not THAT nice. I was straight with him about the Navigator, he wants me to give the Yukon another look (of course). My objections were that I thought the Yukon was too difficult to get in and out of, and that the ride couldn't possibly be as good as the Navigator. He says that they have really improved the suspension on the Yukon. I haven't driven one since 1999.

I borrowed my old man's Envoy last week and really enjoyed driving it. I'm sure that if I were to get a CLEAN one that didn't smell like cigarette smoke and have dirty handprints all over the interior I would really like it.

The list has changed again.

1) Envoy SLT
2A) Yukon SLT
2B) Navigator
4) DeVille (hanging in there as the fall-back option)

This is going to sound stupid, but I've removed the SRX from the list for the simple reason that I NEVER see a man driving one around here!!! All the ads show WOMEN driving them. It's like a minivan with ballz or something. A mommy truck. On top of that, I think there must be a very good reason why they have to discount them so heavily.

I've NEVER spent this much time trying on cars for size. Hopefully the end result will be something I'll be happy with for a long time. I'm hoping to get 5-7 happy, comfortable years out of whatever I buy next.

The Prelude officially goes on the market this week.

Elvis
04-30-05, 11:30 PM
Here's the link:

http://assets.locateapp.ford.com/vimages/FD4537/P8125.jpg

http://www.schillinglm.com/pages/present/flm/notlocalized/searchinventory/vehicledetailsused.asp?orgid=4537&vin=5LMFU27R73LJ23000&photo=Y

RBraczyk
04-30-05, 11:33 PM
You dissapppoint me, going for vehicles that comparatively have the same gas mileage as my truck.

Elvis
04-30-05, 11:34 PM
There are those who travel, and those who travel well...

Ralph
04-30-05, 11:35 PM
This is going to sound stupid, but I've removed the SRX from the list for the simple reason that I NEVER see a man driving one around here!!! All the ads show WOMEN driving them.

Well Pete, it does sound a little silly. Do you really care what others think of what you drive? Do you buy a vehicle purely for how it looks to others? It does look good I must say so I wouldn't even think of that. ;)

Forget the Navagator, they're boring and only have 300 hp! They do have nice interiors. I would continue to look at used Escalades if I were in your shoes. That extra 50 hp will be more than welcome passing vehicles on the highway or for future towing, etc. Devilles are nice but in the end remember to buy a vehicle FOR YOU, and not what OTHERS want or see.

Elvis
04-30-05, 11:50 PM
Well Pete, it does sound a little silly. Do you really care what others think of what you drive? Do you buy a vehicle purely for how it looks to others?

:histeric:

Of COURSE I would buy a vehicle for how it looks to others!!! That's part of the criteria. I could be WRONG about how it really looks to somebody else, but if I went out and bought a Chrysler minivan I would be ashamed to tell anyone and so would you!

You don't buy a Rolex to tell you what time it is, a Timex probably keeps better time. You don't buy a Cadillac to haul dogs or groceries or kids from point A to point B, a Chevy can do it just as well for half the money.

Ralph
04-30-05, 11:53 PM
But, but, I drive a PINK Cadillac. :disappoin

:crying: :crying: :rolleyes2 :crying2: :crying2: :eek:

I also don't see much of a future for Lincoln right now, so whatever... :D

Elvis
04-30-05, 11:54 PM
So did the original Elvis. You're in good company my friend. :thumbsup:

Ralph
04-30-05, 11:55 PM
So did the original Elvis. You're in good company my friend. :thumbsup:

Trivia: Elvis bought over 100 Tissot Swiss watches for friends and family......

ok, end hijack....... carry on.

Elvis
04-30-05, 11:59 PM
Trivia: Elvis bought over 100 Tissot Swiss watches for friends and family......

ok, end hijack....... carry on.

Screw that, I just threw down the gauntlet. Check RB's manly man thread.

Ralph
05-01-05, 12:06 AM

Of COURSE I would buy a vehicle for how it looks to others!!! That's part of the criteria.

But you would buy a 1979 Buick station wagon?? :histeric:

Sorry, I had to get that out.

I guess no Pinto for you. :D :sneaky:

Elvis
05-01-05, 12:15 AM
But you would buy a 1979 Buick station wagon?? :histeric:

Sorry, I had to get that out.

I guess no Pinto for you. :D :sneaky:

Not in 1979! But today, they're COOL!

airbalancer
05-01-05, 08:06 AM
I'm BAAAAAAAACK!!!!!

I borrowed my old man's Envoy last week and really enjoyed driving it. I'm sure that if I were to get a CLEAN one that didn't smell like cigarette smoke and have dirty handprints all over the interior I would really like it.

The list has changed again.

1) Envoy SLT
2A) Yukon SLT
2B) Navigator
4) DeVille (hanging in there as the fall-back option)
My friend has a Envoy for about two now and wants to get out of it bad.But it is leased, but he is looking at ways to get out of it
Lot of little problems with the SUV, it is driving him crazy
Mileage is like my pickup truck load down.
He gets like 500km( about 300 miles) to a tank.

Elvis
05-01-05, 06:18 PM
The '02 Envoy had some issues, my father gets a recall notice every couple months.

He's getting about 320 miles per tank, I think that works out around 17-18 mpg.

SilverCTS
05-01-05, 06:40 PM
If you're wanting something more midsized I'd say go with the Acura MDX. They're sharp and have a very nice ride. The nav system in the Acura is also one of the best IMO. If you want to go big I'd say go with the used Lade (for flashiness) or the GMC Yukon. Local dealers have been giving discounts and rebates that amount to $12500 off the Chevy Z71 package Tahoes and GMC Yukon SLT(which puts the price in the low-to-mid 30k range. You get a lot of vehicle for the money there IMHO.

My wife has the Acura MDX. She has the touring package, nav system + DVD monitor for the kids. I like it a lot. It is her car. I helped a little bit with the decision. She was also looking at the Volvo SUV, but decided on the Acura.

Other than the Surburban, this is the only SUV with 3 rows of seats that I feel good about.

I wouldn't put my kids in the 3rd row of some of those other SUVs.

Also, I agree with you about the Nav system.

Personally, if it were up to me, I would go with the GMC Tahoe Denali. For the money that is my favorite SUV on the market.

Xrayqueen
05-02-05, 02:35 PM
I back my Lade into the garage every night. There's not a lot of room to move around it when the door is closed, but I feel a little more secure with it inside. Once you learn the best way to negociate a big SUV into a garage you get used to doing it without giving it a second thought. We have a single-door two car and a single door single-car garage and I park my Lade in the single car side! I like my wife to have a LARGE path into, and out of the driveway so she won't run into anything (she'd kill me for posting that!). Since we moved into this house she's backed into my old truck, dented the back hatch on my Lade while her car was being fixed, and last week she backed into the neighbors mailbox and dented her trunk...again. :banghead: She's backed into several inanimate objects since I've known her. Every time she offers to park her Accord in the small garage I politely decline. ;)

Did she by chance back into you :D
Peace :)

Playdrv4me
05-02-05, 03:38 PM
Elvis,

I would recommend avoiding the Trailblazer based SUVs at all costs, but the Navigator I suppose I could live with. Nonetheless be very astute in your search, that Navi price is very high (like you could have a Range Rover for 5000 more high) for one with those miles and withOUT 4WD or Nav. My buddy in Wichita was selling one (also an Ultimate) for less that even had Nav in it for about 33096, and it was the old version of that taupe color they have out now.

Its too bad about the SRXs because most of the SRX owners on this Forum ARE men between 30-60 and they are all very happy with their trucks despite some of the problems. I normally see women driving Range Rovers too but that hasnt deterred me from wanting to get one.

Im not a huge fan of MDX's either (and I see more women driving those than SRX), but I would certainly recommend it over the Trailblazer series. Maybe not the SS, but thats over 40 grand anyway.

Good luck,
Ian.

EDIT: Here is a similar one with 4WD for 2000.00 less at a dealer a couple hundred miles away from the other one. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=178071555&dealer_id=94432&car_year=2003&make=LINC&distance=200&lang=en&max_price=35000&model=NAVIGA&sponsorModel=&end_year=2004&min_price=1&certified=&address=38115&search_type=both&advanced=&start_year=2003&isp=y&cardist=200

Even if you dont need 4wd, itd still be nice to have for less money.

Playdrv4me
05-02-05, 07:30 PM
BTW... Be sure to give the Aviator a shake too... It can be had with everything you could possibly want; Heated and Cooled seats, THX Sound system, Navigation, Xenon Lights, etc etc and is still 300hp.

adam_mcd
05-02-05, 09:27 PM
those SRXs are lemons. buick suvs are nice..but if the only reason youd need a big suv is for the status, id go between the infiniti, lexus, or the volvo. these are all suvs ive been/driven in but are those aviators nice?

ford escape hybrid: save mother nature

Jesda
05-02-05, 09:37 PM
Save money. Skip the MDX and get a Honda Pilot if you're going that route.

SilverCTS
05-02-05, 09:45 PM
Save money. Skip the MDX and get a Honda Pilot if you're going that route.

Actually, this is precisely what I kept telling my wife when she bought her MDX.

Only problem is that I didn't have a leg to stand on, because I wanted a loaded CTS.

So every time I told her to get the Pilot, she told me to get an Impala.

She got a loaded MDX. I got a loaded CTS. Now we're both happy.

Playdrv4me
05-02-05, 10:48 PM

HA!! THATS GREAT! Your wife rocks. :p

airbalancer
05-03-05, 06:18 AM
Actually, this is precisely what I kept telling my wife when she bought her MDX.

Only problem is that I didn't have a leg to stand on, because I wanted a loaded CTS.

She got a loaded MDX. I got a loaded CTS. Now we're both happy.

But how can you really be happy when you now there is a new CTS coming out soon and you have to have :banghead:

Are we really ever happy for long?
There is always something new and better coming out!

Stoneage_Caddy
05-03-05, 11:00 AM
I'm BAAAAAAAACK!!!!!

Today I finally got around to driving a Navigator.

This is going to sound stupid, but I've removed the SRX from the list for the simple reason that I NEVER see a man driving one around here!!! All the ads show WOMEN driving them. It's like a minivan with ballz or something. A mommy truck. On top of that, I think there must be a very good reason why they have to discount them so heavily.

The Prelude officially goes on the market this week.
same guy that owns a prelude .....is concered about how he looks in something ....you dont strike me as the fast and furious type (lude) ....or a "Balla"(navi/avi) .....

Who buys SUVs? same group that bought minivans .......

Who buys devilles .....either mature folks or those "exectuitves" or "executive wannabes" (me) :histeric:

I still think youd be good in a DTS ....maybe a DHS ....

Elvis
05-03-05, 12:09 PM
same guy that owns a prelude .....is concered about how he looks in something ....you dont strike me as the fast and furious type (lude) ....or a "Balla"(navi/avi) .....

Who buys SUVs? same group that bought minivans .......

Who buys devilles .....either mature folks or those "exectuitves" or "executive wannabes" (me) :histeric:

I still think youd be good in a DTS ....maybe a DHS ....

It would be DHS or standard DeVille. I'm not crazy about the DTS console.

Here are some STUPID features I like/dislike about some of the cars I've seen and driven:

LIKE: Navigator dashboard, cover plate for radio. Looks and feels "rich" and substantial.

LIKE: Yukon shifter on the column, console & dash with a lot of nooks and crannies.

LIKE: DeVille cupholders concealed in the seat. Fold-down armrest.

DISLIKE: Navigator doors require a hard slam.

DISLIKE: Envoy inside door latches. Feel cheap.

LIKE: Yukon inside door latches. Big, heavy, and low like they used to be.

LIKE: XM radio built into Envoy/DeVille/Yukon. Navigator will require a conversion. I WANT XM, not Sirius. XM has baseball, Frank's place and Fox News.

LIKE: Navigator has big console/armrest/cupholders for "middle" row.

DISLIKE: Navigator middle row seats fold down, then slide down lower leaving a 6" gap between the floor and the seat. A dog's leg could slip through there. I'd have to build a cover to keep that from happening. (The middle console gets in the way too, but that's a tradeoff.)

DISLIKE: The "short" Envoy's back seat lifts up and leans against the back of the front seat. You have to scoot up the front seat in order to have enough room for the back seat to fold down. Not good for a long trip with a dog. (We like her up as close to us as she can get without being in our lap.)

Now that I've had an opportunity to think things over, here's where things stand:

1) Used Navigator
2) New Yukon (in the on-deck circle)
3) New Envoy (fall back option, if the prices of #1 and #2 are just too high)
4) Used DeVille (if I decide that I don't want an SUV after all.)

There ARE no other car options. I've tested everything and the DeVille is the only thing I would want that I can afford. The price range is $28K - $35K. (The "dream" ride would be the S-class.)

The scary thing is that the vehicle I really have in mind is probably a minivan. That would combine all the features I want into one large, comfortable, easy to get in, easy to get out, easy to drive machine.

But I ain't gonna do that.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-03-05, 12:51 PM
Another Interesting ride for you to keep a keen eye out for is a used DES (deville extended sedan) boy does that look nice , saw one in traffic last week owned by a elderly woman (not a livery service)....that 6 inch strech really cleans up the lines ALOT....and its not some hack job , first class job thru and thru.....

really im too hard on the navigator , its a very nice looking rig ....i agree that dash is really something pretty ....

once you have XM you wont know how you lived without it ....we have it on the malibu and its incredible ...on star is nice too ....

Playdrv4me
05-03-05, 03:07 PM
I think youll be happy with the Navigator. I just couldnt hack it, it was too slow and the engine noise and rattles just ruined the whole experience for me in comparison to the Escalade.

Good luck either way.

Elvis
05-03-05, 03:22 PM
Stoney, I already have XM. I bought a new head unit for my Prelude as soon as XM became available. Then I bought one for my wife's car, then I bought one for my father. I love it.

I've seen pictures of the DES, and I really liked it too. I agree, it does clean up the lines to stretch it a little bit. They're really hard to find.

Playdrv4me: The Navigator I drove rattled, but I was hoping that was isolated to the one I drove. If it turns out to be a regular thing it won't be acceptable. There's a white one like I want at the other Lincoln dealership in town, and I'm going to look at it this weekend.

But I thought the Navigator had enough power to suit me. The Yukons I'm interested in have even less power.

Playdrv4me
05-03-05, 03:29 PM
This is the one I drove...

He had it listed at 37 but that is really just list, he usually discounts heavily if you are a serious buyer. I think this one sold for about 34..

http://images.getauto.com/vehicles/5LMF/5LMFU28RX3LJ26360-1.jpg

http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail.html?x_dealer_id=AACXD&vinNum=5LMFU28RX3LJ26360#1

The problem was, I also drove a brand new 04/5 and it felt absolutely the same to me.

Elvis
05-03-05, 04:29 PM
I can't see any reason to get an "ultimate" Navigator. The basic gators seem fine to me.

The power liftgate could be a disadvantage at times.

Power folding seats don't mean a thing to me since they'll be down all the time anyway.

I haven't seen one yet that didn't have heated/cooled seats.

Those running boards are nice but get real, it's a gimmick.

Playdrv4me
05-03-05, 07:20 PM
I agree, especially anywhere where it snows those running boards are just bound to get stuck and eventually theyll just break anyway. The main reason I wanted the Ultimate is the Xenon Lights which you lose on lesser models.

Theyve shuffled the options around in the past couple of years. For example, I was surprised when I saw a Navigator considered an "Ultimate" that DIDNT have the power boards but had everything else. The salesman seemed to think the power boards were NEVER standard equipment, but Im pretty sure they were at some point.

adam_mcd
05-03-05, 10:28 PM
hmm...impalas are nice. 1994-6 impala ss. o..m...g....

still say try a ford escape hybrid. theyre really comfy, save on gas, quiet. spacious.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/home/

..ill let you think about it

Elvis
05-04-05, 09:40 AM
Not gonna happen, adam. ;)

I sat in an Escape, and I prefer the CR-V, hands down.

When hybrid engines become available in larger cars, I'll seriously consider it. My findings are that the highway mileage claims are inflated. You really only see about a 10 mpg boost, and you pay more for the car at the beginning. Not a real savings there.

Elvis
05-08-05, 10:06 PM
I want to keep this alive for a while longer.

The Prelude officially goes on sale TONIGHT!

At least that's what Auto Trader says. It will be in print "until sold" as well as on www.autotrader.com.

I've had good luck selling cars in the Auto Trader publication, I moved a '64 Ranchero in four days, and I moved an '88 Saleen Mustang in three weeks, got what I was asking, too.

And wouldn't you know it, yesterday I got a little sentimental about the Prelude. I bought it new in January of 2000. I don't think I've ever kept a car this long. She still looks good to me. I've got to SNAP OUT OF IT!!!

Played golf Saturday late, I noticed a beautiful SRX in the parking lot. It was blue, but in the dusk it looked almost black. It's not completely off the list, but as things stand I'm leaning toward the Yukon or Navigator. Just can't make up my mind yet. I don't have all of the information I need.

The wife started giving me a bunch of grief yesterday. For years I SWORE that I would never buy an SUV. Life changes. We NEED an SUV, or something like it. I WANT a luxury car. So I'm trying to find the right combination of the two. That's not hard to understand, is it?

airbalancer
05-09-05, 07:26 AM
Elvis
When did you get the Z3?
That is one nice car
Wife really wants a Z3 - Z4
We got a 323Ci Cab instead need room for her to carry the grandkids

Elvis
05-09-05, 10:10 AM
We've had the Z3 about two years. It's a 2000 model. My wife had a very close family friend who put about 27,000 miles on it in three years, then decided he wanted a Z4. So we picked it up at a very reasonable price. It has about 45,000 miles on it now, not showing any signs of wear at all. BMW does it right.

It has a 2.5L engine (I think). It's not the "ballzy" version, but it definitely has enough power. I like the 2000 and later body style, it has "hips" and "shoulders". The older models are kind of rounded off. It's hard to describe but there are some subtle body changes with the later Z3's.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-10-05, 12:14 AM
hope you dont mind my asking but what do you need a SUV for ? do you plan on Towing/camping ? perhaps some offroading ?

just plain curious as the why folks buy them anymore....its been relly confuseing after they quit making solid front axel SUVs and also stopped makeing them with "tranfer cases"...they are hardly as capaple as the SUVs ive grown used to

Ralph
05-10-05, 01:26 AM
I have a feeling Elvis is going with a CR-V based on a previous post he made. :suspense:

davesdeville
05-10-05, 01:47 AM
just plain curious as the why folks buy them anymore....its been relly confuseing after they quit making solid front axel SUVs and also stopped makeing them with "tranfer cases"...they are hardly as capaple as the SUVs ive grown used to

What most SUV buyers really need is a wagon like a Country Squire or Custom Cruiser.

Elvis
05-10-05, 09:38 AM
What most SUV buyers really need is a wagon like a Country Squire or Custom Cruiser.

EXACTLY!!! :)

My priorities are as follows:

1) Comfort/Luxury
2) Dog hauling
3) Suitable for long trips
4) Towing capability

BUT--check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6232&item=4548380377&rd=1

I used to have a '64 Ranchero. That is the nicest Falcon wagon I've seen since about 1968. I knew somebody who had one when I was a kid.

here's another, it's AWESOME:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6057&item=4547923130&rd=1

Elvis
05-11-05, 11:02 AM
We have a new criteria for the next vehicle purchased in this family:

It MUST be from a dealership that is within a REASONABLE distance from home or work for both of us. Or at least easily accessible without terrible traffic jams.

The damn Volvo has been in the shop for a week with some ridiculous electrical sensor failure that cannot be duplicated. The OBD code indicated what was wrong, but it was apparently something that checks out okay now.

So early this morning, I drove my wife to the Volvo dealership to pick up the car on her way to work. Memphis traffic SUCKS. We left the house at 7:00, I didn't make it back to my office until 8:35.

So who does that leave?

GMC/Pontiac (maybe they can work on Cadillacs?)
Chevrolet (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Ford (they can work on Lincolns too)
Saturn (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Acura (16 miles, and they've worked on my Honda before)

05moonstone
05-11-05, 11:38 AM
If you really want a wagon, I can recommend the Subaru Outback 2.5XT. Picked one up for my wife a few months ago and it's much better than I expected. We tote our 70lb shepherd mix around without any problem. Towing capacity, I believe, is 3000lbs. With the AWD, she made it through multiple snowstorms easily. And with the turbo-four XT, the car is very quick for an awd wagon (0-60 in the low 6's.) Fit, finish, and materials is infinitely better than any previous Subaru I've seen. Looks menacing in black without the two-tone exterior, too. The only negatives are that it's a foreign nameplate (if you really want domestic) and there are just fewer Subaru dealers around. Oh, but we did get it for about $4000 below sticker.

Just another opinion.

Elvis
05-12-05, 11:19 AM
I visited my friend at the Ford dealership yesterday afternoon.

Updated list:

1A) GMC Yukon SLT/1SC (next at bat)
1B) Ford Expedition Limited (in the on-deck circle)

3A) Ford Freestyle
3B) Envoy

5) 2003-04 DeVille (if I decide that I don't want an SUV after all. There is NO OTHER car in my price range that I would consider. I've seen everything on the road.)

The Navigator is off the list for now. Why buy a used Navigator when the Expedition Limited is practically the same thing, with all the same options available for a lot less? I don't need or want retractable running boards. I don't need or want air-conditioned seats. The remaining price difference is probably just for the Lincoln logo. Everything else FEELS exactly the same inside. I'm still very high on this vehicle's design.

I was completely BLOWN AWAY by the new Freestyle. It's longer than the Explorer and the Envoy, and it rides about 4" lower. It has 18" wheels, and more legroom in the 2nd row than everything I've looked at EXCEPT the SRX. The Limited model is very luxurious inside.

The Freestyle is built on the Volvo S80 platform, and uses octagonal beams which are much stronger. The engine looks a little weak, but the continuously variable transmission gets more of the HP to the pavement, so you really don't feel like you're driving a 200HP V6. It gets 20mpg city, 27mpg on the highway. I'm definitely going to drive one.

The scary thing here is that of all the vehicles I've looked at in the past three months, the two that I would say "blew me away" are FoMoCo products.

I like the Envoy. I like the Yukon. I like the SRX. I really like the DeVille (maybe for the wife?). But i'm IMPRESSED by the Ford products.

The Yukon gets the next test drive. I'll post a review.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-12-05, 11:45 AM
Freestyle is an interesting choice , and a fairly neat little rig ....
they arent selling too well and i dont know why myself , ive looked at them , and kida like them for a "son of a taurus wagon and volvo" ...

check this out :
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102245

if for anything else to giggle at a minivan with its front tires lit up at a race track ...for some reason i find minivans funny when flogged
http://www.autoweek.com/files/weekart/2005/0502/odyssey_reartrack.jpg

Elvis
05-12-05, 12:15 PM
Wow, thanks for that link, Stoney.

The CVT is nothing more than a variable-sized pulley that expands and contracts depending on the amount of torque applied. It's a Volvo design. You don't feel it shifting gears because it never does. There's only one gear.

It sure looked simple the way it was explained to me. I can't imagine a re-build being very expensive or even necessary for a long time. Fewer moving parts is better.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-12-05, 12:38 PM
we had a similar tranny in our racecar , done right there beatter than a traditional automatic , as you can hang the gear raitio right smack dab in the sweet spot of the powerband , something nessesary when 40 of the 80 hp you have is availble in a band between 8100 and 8400 rpm

BUILDINGCTSAMG
05-12-05, 01:25 PM
I have to say the infiniti is an incrdible car!

Stoneage_Caddy
05-12-05, 01:45 PM
yup they are .....the 1rst gen Q45 with the active suspension was about the most interesting one they made , alotho the latest Q is really nice ....

at one point they were q45s in name only , powered by 4.1 litre V8s .....forget which years ..were is wes when you need him ...but there back to a full 4.5 nowadays

Elvis
05-12-05, 03:05 PM
I have to say the infiniti is an incrdible car!

yup they are .....the 1rst gen Q45 with the active suspension was about the most interesting one they made , alotho the latest Q is really nice ....

at one point they were q45s in name only , powered by 4.1 litre V8s .....forget which years ..were is wes when you need him ...but there back to a full 4.5 nowadays

I think he's talking about the FX35 I drove in February.

I was truly impressed with it, but I guess I'm after something a little roomier for the passengers with a little more of the SUV feel.

The FX35 is like a really cool sports sedan with a roofline that opened the trunk up to the passenger compartment. I think most cars in the future will follow this model. There's something really special about that FX.

I just noticed something that I didn't pay much attention to in February. Lux Hauler may have called this race on day one:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=242621&postcount=3

Stoneage_Caddy
05-12-05, 03:07 PM
I think he's talking about the FX35 I drove in February.

I was truly impressed with it, but I guess I'm after something a little roomier for the passengers with a little more of the SUV feel.

The FX35 is like a really cool sports sedan with a roofline that opened the trunk up to the passenger compartment. I think most cars in the future will follow this model. There's something really special about that FX.

I just noticed something that I didn't pay much attention to in February. Lux Hauler may have called this race on day one:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=242621&postcount=3
oh crap wrong thread ...i was thinking of that 35k to spend thread

airbalancer
05-12-05, 03:48 PM
is the glue from stuffing the evelopes getting to you :bonkers:

Stoneage_Caddy
05-12-05, 04:02 PM
if i have to lick one more friggin stamp ...

hey i wonder if thats why ive been so sick to my stomach for the past month or two ?

powerglide
05-12-05, 04:52 PM

LOL!

I'm watchin here too!

"errr I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you to..."

powerglide
05-12-05, 04:53 PM
if i have to lick one more friggin stamp ...

hey i wonder if thats why ive been so sick to my stomach for the past month or two ?

dude, use a wet sponge or napkin or something.....haven't you learned from "george's fiance"?

Stoneage_Caddy
05-12-05, 10:38 PM
that was a seinfield too ? jeez i wonder if i got a time machine and went back in time and gavce the writers all this good stuff ....

what happend to georges fiance?

D148L0
05-12-05, 10:43 PM
dude, use a wet sponge or napkin or something.....haven't you learned from "george's fiance"?
The first thing I though about... hee.

Kev
05-12-05, 10:44 PM
that was a seinfield too ? jeez i wonder if i got a time machine and went back in time and gavce the writers all this good stuff ....

what happend to georges fiance?Oh, you don't want to know man, it wasn't pretty!

D148L0
05-12-05, 10:44 PM

what happend to georges fiance?
She died after licking a bunch of envelopes for her wedding invitations that were chosen by Georgie boy because they were cheap...

Stoneage_Caddy
05-12-05, 10:48 PM
this looks like a job for .....Mythbusters !!!!!

Kev
05-12-05, 10:48 PM
See?! I told you it wasn't pretty but, oh no! You had to ask! You just had to know! So there! How do you feel about it now huh? Feel good does it?!

AHH!!!! AHH!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!! :banghead:

:bulging: :wacky: :banghead2:farting:

maybe this was a bad day to quit drinking coffee........

Stoneage_Caddy
05-12-05, 10:52 PM
dude my computer is runnin so slow tonight this dude looks like he is constipated wicked bad and even has to try to get the gas out ....its all "arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg" pffft

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/mooner.gif

maybe today was a bad day to start drinking again

Kev
05-12-05, 10:57 PM
"arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg" pffft

:farting::histeric::histeric::histeric:

Ralph
05-14-05, 12:58 AM
Elvis, I still wish you would consider a V6 SRX, especially if you wait until fall for an '06 model and perhaps the bugs will be worked out by then?

I think I remember you saying its' in your price range, and it's better than a used Ford imo, with full warrenty.

Elvis
05-14-05, 09:49 PM
There's a new criteria, Ralph: proximity to the dealership. The Caddy dealership is a hard 35 minutes away in a hard-to-access part of East Memphis. It used to be easy to get to but not anymore.

The GM dealer is less than five minutes away, and the Ford dealer is very convenient. Plus they're both friends. I know they'll take good care of me.

My problem right now is that the Prelude had been on Auto Trader for a week and I haven't had a single call. Obviously I'm asking too much. Gotta go lower the price before next week's edition goes to press.

Ralph
05-14-05, 10:15 PM
There's a new criteria, Ralph: proximity to the dealership. The Caddy dealership is a hard 35 minutes away in a hard-to-access part of East Memphis. It used to be easy to get to but not anymore.

I know, I read that but I still think you would be happy with one. If the bugs are worked out by fall you may not have to go to the dealership for a long time. If it needed something under warrenty let them tow it...I would low-ball an offer and see what they say for the heck of it, after all you are the one who can decide if it's a good deal or not, etc..

tomm
05-14-05, 10:31 PM
Next year we are trading in our Explorer for a Nissan Armada. I know its not on your list but my wife fell in love with it so maybe you should take a look at it.

Elvis
05-23-05, 10:26 AM
Nobody wants my car. Ads have been running for two weeks and I haven't had a single call.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic and asking way too much for it.

Maybe the used car market is completely dried up because there's a glut?

Maybe the used car market sucks right now because they're practically GIVING AWAY the new ones?

Either way, the price drops again on Wednesday.

Playdrv4me
05-23-05, 11:44 AM
Give it some time man. People ARE buying cars right now, I raised the price on mine just to keep people from asking so many questions because I already had a buyer lined up... and someone responded to my higher price!

Stoneage_Caddy
05-23-05, 12:18 PM
Nobody wants my car. Ads have been running for two weeks and I haven't had a single call.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic and asking way too much for it.

Maybe the used car market is completely dried up because there's a glut?

Maybe the used car market sucks right now because they're practically GIVING AWAY the new ones?

Either way, the price drops again on Wednesday.
i surprised you cant get rid of a unmolested 2000 lude .....most of them are riced out and ragged on into oblivion .....

Elvis
05-23-05, 04:10 PM
I put "adult driven" in there. Maybe "unmolested" would be a better choice.

"Extended warranty" might also get some attention. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 7 years, 100,000 miles. They had some problems with the slap-stick tranny in earlier years. Mine seems okay, but like I said earlier, adult driven.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-23-05, 04:20 PM
belive me , someone should have bitten with adult driven on it ....trying to think of a phrase that says "not riced out" ....

there is people out there like i was when i was in that hobby ....i looked all over florida for a clean unmolsted 1rst gen G20 5 speed ...and couldnt find it .....someones is looking for a blank canvas Lude to modify ......that slap stick automatc tho isnt helping your stituation

Ralph
05-23-05, 04:50 PM
I would just 'stick to your guns" and not lower the price too much, or you might regret it when you sell. How much are you asking?? What's the mileage again?

Somewhere out there, someone WANTS your car! (Maybe just not in Tennessee.) ;) :p

Elvis
05-23-05, 04:56 PM
that slap stick automatc tho isnt helping your stituation

You got that right.

I'm thinking some hot 18-year-old chick just graduated from high school and might want it as a graduation present. And maybe she'll try to negotiate for a lower price.

When I sold my Saleen convertible a drop-dead gorgeous blonde talked her daddy into buying it for her. There weren't any negotiations that day. Dammit.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-23-05, 09:18 PM
as folks get older (like me) we start to look for the tiptronic cars ...id like to shift again ...but anything with a clutch pedal is too much of a commitment ....so hopefully a person 25-30 will pop by to look at it ....but lets hope for that sweet young 18 year old girl going to med school this summer , you know .....went to cathloic school and got stright A's ....never had a ticket ....looks like brittney spears .....acts like mother teresa ...

thats the best life for a car

Playdrv4me
05-23-05, 09:28 PM
Yup, we old timers like our slushboxes, but its nice to be able to whip up and down the gears when you feel the need ;)

Elvis
05-24-05, 11:33 AM
I got my first call last night!!!

The guy sounded like he was about my age, looking for a second vehicle that's fun to run around town in. Not interested in modding or "ricing" it out. He wants something ready to go now.

Once he sees it, he'll be sold. I've got it looking showroom new right now as long as the birds don't crap all over it again. Let's hope he shows up today.

Playdrv4me
05-24-05, 12:33 PM
Told ya... :p

Elvis
05-29-05, 08:35 PM
BAD NEWS

The guy who called last week never showed up. Never called back. That's one call, three weeks of advertising, four different sites, two publications, $130 down the tubes.

It's time for plan B.

I took the Pioneer head unit, the XM radio, and the 12-disc changer out. I also took the Sony XPlod speakers out and went completely back to stock today. The only non-stock item on the car are the AEM pulleys on the power steering pump and on the alternator. I can't get them off, and nobody would notice anyway!

Then I cleaned the Prelude up very nicely, she looks and smells like new. I'll try to sell the stereo equipment on eBay along with the AEM intake.

Barring all-day thunderstorms, tomorrow I'm going shopping. I plan to test-drive a Yukon, an Expedition, and a Freestyle. I'll get the two dealers involved to give me an appraisal on the Prelude and we'll see where we can go from there.

I was hoping to get around $13K for my Prelude, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen. The ads I've seen asking $15,000 are inflated. Realistically, for a six-year-old vehicle it's probably only worth $10,000-11,000.

I was hooked on the idea of a used Navigator, but to get one in my price range I would have to settle for something two years old with over 30,000 miles on it. That's almost three years worth of life the way I drive them. I don't want to sacrifice that. Plus, anything I want on a Navigator is available on an Expedition for about $12,000 less. You pay for that Lincoln logo.

The ads in the paper show Expeditions with MSRP of $40,000 selling for $28,000. Same thing with Yukons. Freestyles and Envoys aren't discounted as much because they're in higher demand.

We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Ralph
05-30-05, 07:28 PM
Are there an over-abundance of Preludes in your area Elvis? I'm just suprised more haven't called. There has to be a reason...

Did you testdrive more vehicles??

Elvis
05-30-05, 07:36 PM
Did some test-driving today.

1) Yukon. Didn't like it. The seats weren't as comfortable as they looked, it wasn't as smooth on the highway as I expected. It looked nice and smelled nice. Cornered well. The back seat was hard to get into. I like it better than the Envoy, but overall not a positive experience.

2) Expedition. Loved it. Comfortable seat. Great ride. Cornered well enough. Roomy in the back. The 3rd row of the Expedition has more room than the 2nd row of the Yukon. I'm in love. Cashmere Limited 2wd model.

3) Freestyle. VERY nice. Nice enough to buy. DVD in the back. Heated seats. Cornered as well as ANY car. 18" rims. AWD. Smooth ride. I like it better than the Envoy. Black Limited model, tan leather interior.

My buddy at the dealership came through. The prices he offered on both were the absolute best I've seen anywhere. On top of that, he offered about $1500 more than I thought he could for my trade. I have no excuses.

So now I can't decide between the Expedition and the Freestyle. It's a choice between what I OUGHT to do, and what I WANT to do.

I'm exhausted.

Ralph
05-30-05, 07:41 PM
Did some test-driving today.

1) Yukon. Didn't like it. The seats weren't as comfortable as they looked, it wasn't as smooth on the highway as I expected. It looked nice and smelled nice. Cornered well. The back seat was hard to get into. I like it better than the Envoy, but overall not a positive experience.

2) Expedition. Loved it. Comfortable seat. Great ride. Cornered well enough. Roomy in the back. The 3rd row of the Expedition has more room than the 2nd row of the Yukon. I'm in love. Cashmere Limited 2wd model.

3) Freestyle. VERY nice. Nice enough to buy. DVD in the back. Heated seats. Cornered as well as ANY car. 18" rims. AWD. Smooth ride. I like it better than the Envoy. Black Limited model, tan leather interior.

My buddy at the dealership came through. The prices he offered on both were the absolute best I've seen anywhere. On top of that, he offered about $1500 more than I thought he could for my trade. I have no excuses.

So now I can't decide between the Expedition and the Freestyle. It's a choice between what I OUGHT to do, and what I WANT to do.

I'm exhausted.

If gas mileage is a factor to you, you'd probably get MUCH better with the Freestyle over the Expedition. Personally, I'd probably take the Expedition.

Playdrv4me
05-30-05, 07:46 PM
I wouldnt drive a Freestyle because it looks too much like a funky stationwagon, but the Expedition is an all around nice truck with most of the features of the Navigator, except for Xenon Lights, and all the space you could ever want. Plus they hold their value well.

Personally if I were looking at a Freestyle, id rather have a loaded up Pacifica.

Ralph
05-30-05, 07:57 PM
I wouldnt drive a Freestyle because it looks too much like a funky stationwagon, but the Expedition is an all around nice truck with most of the features of the Navigator, except for Xenon Lights, and all the space you could ever want. Plus they hold their value well.

Personally if I were looking at a Freestyle, id rather have a loaded up Pacifica.

You know, Pacificas are supposed to be really good vehicles. They are heavy, 4 wheel drive, 5 star safety rating, but my dealer told me they just aren't selling well for some reason. I don't recall if Elvis mentioned them. Might be worth a look.

Elvis
05-30-05, 08:32 PM
The father-in-law from hell bought a Pacifica. No can do. Chrysler is just NOT in my blood. Can't do it. They can't make me!!!!

The DVD system in the Freestyle was nice. It had input jacks for some other devices. I'm thinking I could hook up my MP3 player, possibly an XM unit? Also, the "Audiophile" sound system is a six-disc changer that can read MP3's. Those are "extras" that I don't need, but I can't get a "Limited" model without them.

Also, the back seat in the Freestyle has more room than the Expedition. It's lower to the ground, so the dogs could jump in. The Expedition is only six inches longer than the Freestyle. That was surprising to me.

The Expedition was just so damn comfortable. I didn't want to get out of it. But I know I would probably never see much over 15 mpg. I'm really torn. I really just want them both.

airbalancer
05-31-05, 08:46 AM
What kind of price is the Freestyle down there?
Also would you not get about double the mileage in the freestyle.
Input jack would be for an Ipod. It is the extras that you miss once you buy the car.

Elvis
05-31-05, 09:45 AM
A loaded Freestyle Limited is going for about $31K here. Sticker is close to $35K. Not many incentives since it's a new design and relatively low production.

Not sure about double the mileage, but I can easily see it getting 21-23 mpg. The Expedition would probably run 15-16 mpg.

The Volvo-designed AWD would make it a slam-dunk decision if I lived farther north. Instead, the CVT and lack of power is a double-edged sword. It's great for mileage but kind of takes the fun out of it.

Elvis
05-31-05, 11:12 AM
The die is cast...

;)

Playdrv4me
05-31-05, 11:15 AM
The die is cast...

;)

Whats that supposed to mean? :shhh:

Elvis
05-31-05, 11:16 AM
I pulled the trigger. :yup:

Brett
05-31-05, 11:23 AM
what did you end up getting

Stoneage_Caddy
05-31-05, 11:49 AM
uh oh ....me thinks it wasnt a caddy .....

Playdrv4me
05-31-05, 12:21 PM
Do not toy with my fragile emotions!! Tell us already ;)

Elvis
05-31-05, 01:31 PM
This isn't THE one, but it's as close as I can show you until after I pick it up and take pictures of my own.

http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/a/04/0e/e9/a8_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6011&item=4553277490&rd=1

I'm enduring a major anxiety attack right now. I used to trade cars every couple of years and get all excited and have fun with it. Now it's a lot less frequent, so whenever I do it I get a little flaky.

Playdrv4me
05-31-05, 01:35 PM
Yes!!! Awesome choice. I think youll enjoy the heck out of that one. Glad you didnt get the Freestyle.

Be sure to tell us what options and color! I like the monotone paint treatment of the Limited

Elvis
05-31-05, 01:45 PM
Yes!!! Awesome choice. I think youll enjoy the heck out of that one. Glad you didnt get the Freestyle.

Be sure to tell us what options and color! I like the monotone paint treatment of the Limited

THANK YOU! That's the most enthusiastic response I've received all day!

I fell in love with the paint. Then I fell in love with the RIDE. When I took it back to the dealer after the test-drive, I didn't want to let go of it.

The Freestyle is the SUV of the future, but the 2005 version just isn't quite ready for me yet. It needs more power, and I'm a little concerned with some things I read about the CVT.

They say that by 2007 the Freestyle will have a 3.5 V6. I wouldn't be surprised if I buy one someday. The interior design is very well thought out.

Ralph
05-31-05, 05:23 PM
Congrats!!! Also glad you got that OVER the Freestyle. How about some details, pics and a new thread on it........

Elvis
05-31-05, 05:25 PM
Got it!

2005 Ford Expedition Limited
Cashmere Tri-Coat

You name it, this thing's got it, except DVD.

Apparently Ford has an XM add-on feature for this particular head unit that also uses the text feature. I've asked for more info. There is also an RCA-type AUX jack on the back of this head unit, I'm going to probably run a wire for an MP-3 player.

Coolest feature: Air conditioned seats. Talk about blowing sunshine up your ass!

Elvis
05-31-05, 05:26 PM
I'll start a new thread when I have pics.

Vesicant
05-31-05, 05:31 PM
Nice final decision... you have the 300hp Triton 5.4 now, right? :thumbsup:

Elvis
05-31-05, 05:35 PM
You are correct, sir!

300 hp, 365-ft. lb. torque.

Some OPEC sheik just sacrificed a goat in my honor.