: Current 2011 CTS owner, considering a 2011-2012 DTS...advice...?

CTS3LSTICK
06-13-13, 09:12 AM
Hello everyone, I have a 2011 CTS 3.0L Manual...yes manual.....rare car up here in canada at least...

I am looking at the DTS as I want a bigger vehicle. I would be looking at a 2011 most likely.

What is the best advice you guys can give in regards to potential issues to look out for, and the overall "benefit" from upgrading to the DTS.

regards,

Jason

hueterm
06-13-13, 02:02 PM
PROS: Lots more room, obviously. Northstar V8, if MPG isn't too much of a concern. Likely greater depreciation than your CTS, so you shouldn't take a financial hit. Cushy ride.

CONS: Large turning radius. MPG. Won't handle as well.

Baccerman
06-13-13, 08:53 PM
Pro:
Smoother with V8
Probably faster with V8
Better looking car IMHO
Vast reaches of interior and trunk
Fits a big dude better (refer to previous)
CONS:
Wallows in tight curves
Front wheel drive
somewhat dated styling/design

Asguard726
06-13-13, 11:15 PM
I just wanted to throw in my two cents...
I've had several CTS's as loaner vehicles over the years. I like them but feel they are too small for my
family's needs. Especially the back seat area. I suggest you really spend some time on your test drive of the DTS.
Perhaps you could take one overnight. I think both cars are probably equal in reliability and quality, but they are
very different vehicles. That being said, I think you may be surprised how well such a big car can Handel.

Good luck to you,
Dan

StuJac
06-14-13, 08:01 AM
Having driven a late model CTS I would say you are making the right choice. I don't think you'll regret it.

Vitaqueen
06-14-13, 08:21 AM
The issue to look out for is wanting to go for a spin all the time! You would love all the comforts and toys DTS has to offer. They are wonderful!

TulsaVic
06-14-13, 09:53 AM
If you're from Canada, you'll appreciate the FWD.

As for handling, if that's an issue, look for a model with Magnetic Ride Control. You won't find the handling sloppy at all. Planted would be a better description. A super highway cruiser that will hold its own in the twisties. Not sure which models offered that in 2011.

Turning radius is an issue. I just picked up a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, not a small vehicle by any means, and it will do circles inside the DTS's radius.

CTS3LSTICK
06-14-13, 03:54 PM
Thank you for all the advice everyone. Do the later model Northstar's suffer from the head gasket issues?

2010 or 2011?

big greg
06-14-13, 03:59 PM
No. After 2004 they were pretty much non existent

hueterm
06-14-13, 04:50 PM
Definitely go for a Platinum CPO if it's available and in your budget. The MRC is outstanding. It will take corners faster than I'm willing to drive...

turnne
06-17-13, 10:39 AM
Definitely go for a Platinum CPO if it's available and in your budget. The MRC is outstanding. It will take corners faster than I'm willing to drive...

and its about 3x-4x more expensive to repair/replace than the standard suspension

Warren

reedmtn
06-17-13, 08:42 PM
Having owned both a 06 CTS and a 08 STS I decided to buy a 10 DTS and love it. They are getting rare. Size and ride was the big hit for me. Looks are classy and sporty together on mine. Power and handling are not as good but its not a sports car like the CTS/STS, its a classy Luxury vehicle, emphasis on Luxury. My family owns BMW's and Jags. I own the DTS and the DTS is the most luxurious of them all. They aren't making them anymore, so they are rare as most owners such as myself are hanging on to them. I went from CO to FL to purchase mine and bought it certified, so look nationally at a cadillac dealer.

ronm01
06-17-13, 11:02 PM
Having owned both a 06 CTS and a 08 STS I decided to buy a 10 DTS and love it. They are getting rare. Size and ride was the big hit for me. Looks are classy and sporty together on mine. Power and handling are not as good but its not a sports car like the CTS/STS, its a classy Luxury vehicle, emphasis on Luxury. My family owns BMW's and Jags. I own the DTS and the DTS is the most luxurious of them all. They aren't making them anymore, so they are rare as most owners such as myself are hanging on to them. I went from CO to FL to purchase mine and bought it certified, so look nationally at a cadillac dealer.

Purchased my 2010 Platinum 04/17/2013 and am a happy clam. Just did a search on Autotrader.com. They list thirteen 2010 DTS Platinum in all Zip codes. At least two of these do not have Adaptive Cruise Control with 7-spoke chrome wheels. Prices for the fully complemented offerings with reasonable miles (one-owner) are mid-$30s & up. I agree that folks are holding on to these classic beauties.

hueterm
06-18-13, 11:48 AM
and its about 3x-4x more expensive to repair/replace than the standard suspension

Warren

You get what you pay for.

ronm01
06-18-13, 04:59 PM
Pro:
Smoother with V8
Probably faster with V8
Better looking car IMHO
Vast reaches of interior and trunk
Fits a big dude better (refer to previous)
CONS:
Wallows in tight curves
Front wheel drive
somewhat dated styling/design

Mine does not "wallow" on curves.
I'm quite accustomed to FWD. I'm beyond my spin-out/dragster phase of life.
Most beautiful design of any late model Caddy, IMO. (Design & style are major reasons I purchased.)

I like your Pros, but you CONS are also Pros to me. :)

hazcaddy
06-18-13, 05:10 PM
I'm with you, Ron. There is plenty of grunt when you need it even if it does get delivered through the front wheels. That also has the benefit for those of us living north of Interstate 10 that you have weight over the driving wheels in snow. As for the shape - it signals a big box full of a great V8, a huge box full of comfortably seated happy people, and a big box full of lotsa luggage. You can keep the bar-of-soap shape of the XTS (at least, that's what my thoughts are at the moment).

As for wallowing: only when you take a tight turn too fast. Normal turns should be handled in a dignified manner as befits a Cadillac, anyway! :rolleyes:

These cars aren't found on dealers' lots because as soon as they are turned in they're sold, and like reedmtn said, happy owners know they've got a classic worth hanging on to. I will, for sure.